Main Menu

Kree / Skrull war

Started by Tjm86, 26 December, 2021, 08:26:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tjm86

All things considered, I'm a little surprised that I've never gotten around to reading this.  Possibly down to the age and the fact that it is from a Marvel era that I don't always get on with.

The one thing that does surprise me is how densely packed it is.  Story threads related to the Kree and Skrulls tie in to the Inhumans, Captain Marvel, Ronan the Accuser ... all before the midway point.  In some respects it feels more like someone has packaged these issues together under the Kree / Skrull war banner rather than that it was planned as a standalone story.

The team of Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch and Vision is sparse but supported by Ant Man / YellowJacket, Wasp and Goliath before shifting to the classic Thor, Cap, Iron Man.  Then you throw in cameos from Carol Danvers and the FF.  All adding to the volume!

The artwork is definitely of its age, particularly the Buscema segments.  Some very Kirby-esque cosmic sequences.  Plus you have Neal Adams' segments.  The 'chapter' with Antman navigating Vision's innards to diagnose him is quite something (it also reminds me of Wilson's work on Rogue Trooper with the rogue AI system).

It is easy to see why this tale is so highly regarded.  It is not perfect to be sure but there is an awful lot to commend it.  I don't know about others but I find with Marvel that there are absolute gems at times, albeit few and far between.  Personally I would put it in that category. 

Colin YNWA

I'ev spent a significent period of my life being a BIG Avengers fan. From my return to comics (well I loved the Stern + Buscema + Palmer run way back when) until I slowly fell out of love with Marvel comics - even now I retain to complete Avengers runs within my collection. The aforementioned Stern + Buscema + Palmer  (256 - 290ish) and the Busiek + Perez and co run from Vol. 3 up to Dissembled.

I have in my time had a complete run (1-140 in reprint) of volume 1 up to issue 315ish.

To sum up I adored the Avengers ... and yet I never got on with either Kree Skrull War or Kovak Saga - the two classics... don't ask me just never got it. Kree Skrull War maybe I understand. Its so complete Roy Thomas. A great idea allowed to drift in self indulgence and dragging the past into what could have been a wonderfully contemporary story, for its time. Still I know I'm in a minority, but if you want to ever discuss any other cool Avengers stories I'd hope to be a lot more positive!

AlexF

Have to agree that reading the Kree-Skrull War (first publihsed a decade before I was born!) feels more than a little like homework. I guess it's the good kind of homework where you're glad the teacher forced you to read it because there are some really good bits, and it helps put a lot of newer stuff in context, but I sure don't reach for it very often.

My heyday of Avengers reading fandom was the sort-of follow-up story, the Kree-Shi'ar war (aka Operation: Galactic Storm!). Not sure this is as well regarded... ...but I re-read it not too long ago and still had plenty of fun.

Colin YNWA

If we're talking classic Avengers - given what I said before there is little doubt in my mind that 'Under Seige' is the greatest Avengers tale. It had a really good, slow build up across many issues and then the dramatic punch of Avengers Mansion being taken over as The Avengers themselves contribute to their own downfall, before the inevitable fight back is just superb. I really held up last time I read it - which I admit is a good few years ago now.

I've also got a soft spot for the epic Kang Dynasty at the end of the Busiek run. Think that gets a hard time but it really wraps up the entire run in suitably epic fashion.

AlexF

Honestly, Busiek Avengers are good comics, but he's another 'homework' writer for me. He's a little TOO good at tying everything to gether with olden days continuity, and making sure you can follow the references in the margins. I did like it when he brought WonderMan and the Beast back together for a bantz epsiode though.

For me, Marvel comics peaked with Mark Gruenwald's deeply earnest moralizing on his insanely long Captain America run. That sort of thing is my bag, baby. CapWolf has nothing on DreddWolf, though. But now I'm wondeirng if we can get Al Ewing to write that as a team-up book somewhere...