Main Menu

Judge Dredd: Mega-City One - TV show announced!

Started by Jim_Campbell, 10 May, 2017, 05:10:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ABCwarBOT

I take it Rebellion's still involved though seeing as they bought that new studio?

Steve Green

Yes.

Having the studio doesn't necessarily mean just 2000 AD/Rebellion films though.

UK is short of studio space, and Netflix have just leased out Shepperton for 10 years.

As a games company, Rebellion have had the ability to make 2000 AD games for nearly 20 years, and have made 2 and a bit 2000 AD games.

GrudgeJohnDeed

Quote from: Steve Green on 25 July, 2019, 08:48:45 AM
As a games company, Rebellion have had the ability to make 2000 AD games for nearly 20 years, and have made 2 and a bit 2000 AD games.

goddamn, put like that.. :'(

I think we'll see the Dredd TV show but yeah I have to doubt they'll be prolific with 2000ad-related TV content

moly

Can't see this ever happening unless someone like Netflix come in for it

Steve Green

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/07/triple-frontier-flop-netflix-cuts-back-spending-1202155925/#!

OK, this is for films, but I saw something else where it was mentioned that the model is generally to aim for 2-3 seasons. Extending seasons doesn't attract new subscribers.

There's a possibility that Netflix is going to struggle - they're losing content and Disney + and Apple are coming.

Netflix have just raised prices by 20% - how many people are going to want to pay for multiple streaming services?

The announcement of Warhammer 40K was interesting (if it happens), feels like that has some of the similar hurdles that Dredd has.

Leigh S

Would Slaine not be a much more managablle TV project?  Also filling a GoT sized hole - probably a but late to do that, but seems a much more acheivable enterprise on a TV budget?

von Boom

Quote from: Steve Green on 27 July, 2019, 11:58:56 AM
https://www.indiewire.com/2019/07/triple-frontier-flop-netflix-cuts-back-spending-1202155925/#!

There's a possibility that Netflix is going to struggle - they're losing content and Disney + and Apple are coming.

Netflix have just raised prices by 20% - how many people are going to want to pay for multiple streaming services?

This is very true. I'm very close to dropping Netflix. I haven't seen any new content that has really interested me in a while. They don't have the programmes I like and the original stuff ranges from poor to terrible for me. I've been watching Prime more than Netflix.

sheridan

Quote from: Leigh S on 27 July, 2019, 12:56:55 PM
Would Slaine not be a much more managablle TV project?  Also filling a GoT sized hole - probably a but late to do that, but seems a much more acheivable enterprise on a TV budget?

The Lord of the Rings TV series is covering the space GoT leaves behind at the moment (though GoT spin-offs may well get aired before LotR makes it to the screen).

JOE SOAP

The view from The Ankler newsletter.

• WHERE IT STANDS: We've heard that something like 80% of Netflix eyeballs go to licensed content. And that The Office and Friends are vastly their biggest shows. This can't be where they thought they would be after billions and billions spent. So Netflix is in this state, dependent on inflated valuations and debt to keep the engine pumping, in a time when they have essentially no competition in the App field.

But that is about to change. They are about to get competition—and lots of it. Not just Disney, but Comcast, Warners, Apple, Amazon, and Facebook. They are not just taking away Netflix's biggest shows, but they are taking them to stream on their newly launched competitive services.

• FAMILY MATTERS: It gets worse. I've heard reports that somewhere in the neighborhood of 70% of Netflix viewing is done by families and children on family-related stuff. Given that, having the biggest, most beloved family brand in the history of the planet launch a competitor service that costs less, a lot less, has to be a bit worrisome.

No one knows at the moment how many services the typical cord-cutting household will be up for paying for. But there's got to be a non-zero number of homes where the TV is basically the babysitter for the kids, who will get Disney Plus for seven dollars a month and say, "That's great! We're covered now."

What percentage of the current Netflix subscribers is that? The point is, it can't afford to lose any if the paradigm is to survive. Growth now, growth tomorrow, growth forever.

•WE WERE THE WORLD. The other Netflix narrative to hit the skids yesterday was the idea that growth could go on forever because there was an unlimited amount of Planet Earth with an unlimited amount of cash to fuel expansion until the end of time.  While it looks like they are starting to run out of world.  And with the US and Europe already at saturation, the idea that there was going to be enough disposable income available to match the current growth was yet another little examined fantasy.

• THIS IS THE SPEND, BEAUTIFUL FRIEND: So say Netflix manages to downshift and scale back somehow without scaring off their subscribers. Not impossible. It's built a lot of loyalty and goodwill during the Pax Appana. I doubt there are many subscribers who at the moment are nursing itchy cancellation figures, looking for an excuse to cut it off.

But once Netflix gets there, in a world of real results and real limits, where its shows compete against other people's shows and the quantity is not exponentially different on either end; at that point it becomes a question of who can spend the dollars best. When you take a look at The App's drunken sailor period—an unwatched movie a week, $50 million to your favorite ex-President, a line of shows you've never heard of stretching far into the horizon . . . is there anything that suggests this is a culture prepared for hard, critical choices and rigorous discipline? How much of its budgets at that point are going to be locked up in those mega-deals? How great at that point will the hopes be for Shonda, Ryan, et all to achieve miracles?

For all Netflix's film production—production that eclipses in quantity the other studios combined—it still has yet to lure a major project away from a traditional theatrical studio by any means other than outbidding, or outfunding by orders of magnitude. Its ability to do that, if a downturn comes, is going to be sharply curtailed, to say the least.

Proudhuff

Must admit Netflux has done very little or nothing that catches my eye recently, TBH picking up box sets or odd DVDs at a brilliant 2nd hand shop for a couple of quid has been better value for money.

Kids stuff, The Office and Friends are my ideas of total boredom.
Next time I'm looking I'm going to serious see if there is anything there for me.
DDT did a job on me

dweezil2

Mindhunter, Black Mirror, Ozark, Dead To Me and Love, Death And Robots have all been must watches for me, as well as a lot of their documentaries.
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

The Enigmatic Dr X

I'm their problem.

I will watch it until there is nothing I want to watch and then I will stop paying for it, until there is a body of stuff I want to see.

That means watching Power, then the end of Orange is the New Black, and then... well, bye bye until Black Mirror comes back, I guess.
Lock up your spoons!

Proudhuff

Quote from: dweezil2 on 27 July, 2019, 03:28:12 PM
Mindhunter, Black Mirror, Ozark, Dead To Me and Love, Death And Robots have all been must watches for me, as well as a lot of their documentaries.

Watched Mindhunter ages ago had hoped for a speedy follow up and BM only had 3 episodes. Dead to me seemed painfully close to something else that was on recently about real people 'surviving' death, and there have been so many series now that I lose interest in after a couple of episodes, So like our spoon-twistin' Dr X, I'm their problem too
DDT did a job on me

Steve Green

Quote from: Leigh S on 27 July, 2019, 12:56:55 PM

Wouldn't Slaine have a problem that a few other 2000 AD properties have, being based or riffing on something else?

It's based on Celtic Myths - I imagine you could have a barbarian with a battle frenzy, ditching Ukko and just do your own thing.

MACH 1? Six Million Dollar Man inspired - there's already Upgrade on there.

Mean Arena apparently already exists as a novel (although US based)

Flesh, well you've got Cowboys and Dinosaurs in Valley of Gwangi

Skizz riffs off ET and Boys from the Blackstuff