Main Menu

Judge Dredd: Mega-City One - TV show announced!

Started by Jim_Campbell, 10 May, 2017, 05:10:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrudgeJohnDeed

Wow it's pretty exciting stuff! Sounds like it'll take a while to build up, but I love that Rebellion have taken the multimedia handling of their own IP into their own hands like this. That independent spirit!

judgeurko

This isn't going to happen is it folks. Let's all be honest now.

IndigoPrime

I don't see why not. TV shows and movies often spend years in pre-production. There's no reason this one would be any different.

Hawkmumbler

Especially niche/cult IPs. The Terror went into pre-production in 2008, after the book was published, and took 10 years to materialize.

judgeurko

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 24 January, 2020, 12:46:15 PM
I don't see why not. TV shows and movies often spend years in pre-production. There's no reason this one would be any different.
I look at shows like The Mandalorian, the budget on that. Can Rebellion compete? If Mega City One is to be made it can't be on the cheap.

IndigoPrime

Depends what they're going for. You can do a lot with sound-stages and greens-screen. But also, if you don't have high-profile stars and keep expectations realistic, you can do plenty with real-world sets. (See the Dredd movie, for which Garland repeatedly said the $45m budget was bullshit for marketing, and was in fact much lower. Urban claims $30m.)

judgeurko

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 24 January, 2020, 03:47:18 PM
Depends what they're going for. You can do a lot with sound-stages and greens-screen. But also, if you don't have high-profile stars and keep expectations realistic, you can do plenty with real-world sets. (See the Dredd movie, for which Garland repeatedly said the $45m budget was bullshit for marketing, and was in fact much lower. Urban claims $30m.)
I guess but I thought they were going for a look closer to the comic.

Tiplodocus

They've got to make it so "true fans" have something to moan about.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

JOE SOAP

Something on the quality level of The Boys that uses everday locations is about $5 million an episode. The typical cost of high-end cable and streaming dramas is $5-7 million according to Variety. MC-1 seems to be aiming more for comic Dredd than the '10 minutes into the future' vibe so I can't see it being cheaper than the average hour long drama if it's to compete for eye-balls with the other heavy hitters in TV sci-fi and fantasy. The 2012 film struggled with the small budget it had and I don't think MC-1 would be good if it's too close to the cheaper, tell-don't-show talk-fest of Doctor Who.

Funt Solo

All the $$ == "Double Whammy"

Is that really what we want? (Anyway - happy to wait and see, because ... I have no choice.)

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Richard

It's only been less than three years since it was first announced, so let's not all turn into whiney little bitches just yet.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Funt Solo on 24 January, 2020, 05:50:23 PM
All the $$ == "Double Whammy"

Is that really what we want? (Anyway - happy to wait and see, because ... I have no choice.)

The TV dynamic has changed considerably since 1995 — money doesn't automatically equate with awfulness. Even so, any Judge Dredd TV show worth it's salt won't be cheap.

Richard

Imagine Game of Thrones with non-CGI dragons made of plastic. More money = better.

TordelBack

Learning today that the sumptuous Mandalorian locations were all achieved in a studio gives me hope that anything is possible.