Main Menu

Judge Dredd: Mega-City One - TV show announced!

Started by Jim_Campbell, 10 May, 2017, 05:10:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rusty

Quote from: Richard on 12 May, 2017, 12:07:23 PM
Everything SIP has said on this thread is spot on. I want the TV series to be stylistically as close to the 2012 film as possible (except with better vehicles, and some roads in the sky between the blocks).

I do understand why people want the eagle to be more prominent, but I recall reading that when they tried it it was too cumbersome. They want a uniform that you could fight and roll around in. If the pad was any bigger you couldn't even raise your arms above your shoulders.
Agreed. Not meaning to keep beating that long beaten dead horse any further (we've got at least a year before we might even hear about any details regarding the thing, so why not anyway?), it literally does boil down to what looks right for screen, rather than what fans want to see, which is the big eagle and the other big shoulder pad, which does what exactly? I've no doubt that this TV show is only being made because of the cult status that Dredd 2012 has now received. 5 years on, it's washed away the awful memories of the '95 Stallone bollocks, and the last thing people want is to be reminded of that travesty by having judges prance about in a gritty, realistic setting (even if it is set in the future, its still going to be pretty grounded to look at for the most part) with what amounts to ridiculously camp shoulder bling.
Imagine the setting. A Judge getting ready to make a bust, he kicks a door through, storms into a room, only to have the protruding beak of the eagle snag on a curtain, spinning him round, throwing him off balance, then he gets shot about 50 times. Hilarious stuff. It just doesn't work. It's as simple as that.

The shoulder pads of the 2012 not only bulked out the frame of the Judges (like an American footballer kind of silhouette) and made their stature imposing, they also acted as battering rams for the shoulder. There's the scene just before Dredd enters MaMa's quarters, where you can see that in effect, and I think it actually dents in the eagle. Stuff like that's great. Battle scarred armour. Little details that brought that costume to life and made Dredd and the Judges all the more believable.

PsychoGoatee

I think the point either way is, this is a new adaptation, which will have it's own look. It's cool that some like the 2012 one's look so much that they don't want anything else, but maybe after seeing what they have for the new show's look you'll like that too.

On gritty realistic setting, I don't know that this is what they'll be doing with the new show. It's not what the poster they have is doing. It could be a more stylized futuristic looking sci-fi, at least that's what the early promotional poster image suggests.

The 2012 movie is good stuff, but it's not the only way to adapt Dredd, let's see what they have planned for us this time.

NapalmKev

I'm not too bothered about the uniform being exactly like the Comic. Some sort of combination of Prog and film uniform seems the best way to go - whatever they do some Drokker is going to moan!

Anyway, what I'd like to see - Futsies, Block-Wars, Democracy movement, SJS (and other Departments), foreign Judges, Bad Donald Trump Bob Booth, Rico going bad, Max Normal, Sugar busts, and a whole lot more!

Here's hoping!

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

PsychoGoatee

I'd love to see something like Graveyard Shift, just Dredd and co. handling calls nonstop for an episode. Then he briefly goes in the sleep machine, and goes right back out onto the streets. Wouldn't be the first episode, but it'd be cool to see somewhere in there.

Not to get ahead of ourselves, but I'd love to see Judge Death! But that feels like a season 2 kind of thing, not that I'd complain if he showed up early. And I'd enjoy it if his first appearance is just one or two episodes, kind of like how it was a relatively brief story in the comics. And may not appear again for a year or two.

SIP

Quote from: ABCwarBOT on 13 May, 2017, 02:07:38 AM
Quote from: SIP on 12 May, 2017, 10:21:04 PM
I couldn't think of anything worse than comics or films produced to appease the vocal fans.

Tell that to the makers of that awful Thunderbirds film (who ignored the fans and made Spy Kids instead)

Tell that to George Lucas who followed his own nose and produced the medicocre prequels aimed at 5 year olds instead of making something more like Empire Strikes Back which is a fan favourite.   

And of course Dredd was such a success in the cinema's wasn't it. :(   Nobody's saying that everything the fans say has to be taken into consideration or done or is always right........but ignore the fans at your peril.    Sometimes fans do make some good points believe it or not and everyone in this thread is a fan.

Thunderbird film was not faithful to the source material. It decided to do something different and failed as a result. It was not rubbish because it didn't listen to fans, it was rubbish because it wasn't thunderbirds.

I'm not a Star Wars prequel hater, so can't get on board with the Lucas bashing. Force Awakens was very much an exercise in fan appeasement and there has been a fair amount of criticism and backlash against it for that very reason. One of the prequels at least is a great star wars film (imo) and surpasses force awakens or the turgid Rogue One. I have nothing but respect for Lucas wanting to make the films that he actually wanted to rather than just churning out "more of the same". I think it's a shame that he isn't more involved in the Disney efforts.

Again, I found Dredd captured the spirit of Judge Dredd perfectly and it certainly did not fail for nonsense like "the bike didn't look right", when 99% of the prospective audience wouldn't have the first clue what Dredd, his bike or his city would look like in the first place.

If we have a television series because of the growing cult of Dredd 2012, then this show would be ill advised to veer too far from that or risk alienating the broader fan base of that film. Why jeopardise a hard earned ready-audience?  It just seems like a no brained to me.

Krakajac

In an effort to keep this thread positive...

Just imagine some years from now - having multiple seasons of a Judge Dredd TV series sitting on your bluray/DVD shelf.  Incredible times we live in.  Who would've thunk it?

TordelBack

Quote from: SIP on 13 May, 2017, 09:28:05 AM
Quote from: ABCwarBOT

Tell that to George Lucas who followed his own nose and produced the medicocre prequels aimed at 5 year olds instead of making something more like Empire Strikes Back which is a fan favourite.   

I'm not a Star Wars prequel hater, so can't get on board with the Lucas bashing. Force Awakens was very much an exercise in fan appeasement and there has been a fair amount of criticism and backlash against it for that very reason. One of the prequels at least is a great star wars film (imo) and surpasses force awakens or the turgid Rogue One. I have nothing but respect for Lucas wanting to make the films that he actually wanted to rather than just churning out "more of the same". I think it's a shame that he isn't more involved in the Disney efforts.

Leaving aside that Empire Strikes Back had already been made and is still  available to watch for those that can't  get enough, the Lucas 'misstep' of the prequels took $2.5 billon worldwide, and that's just box-office, probably a drop in the overall ocean. He subsequently sold Lucasfilm for $4 billion. Like 'em or loathe 'em, the prequels were a success, but incidentally got progressively worse the more Lucas listened to the whining of so-called fans until he plainly couldn't give a monkey's by the end.

Fans are morons: if they were any judge of what they actually wanted and how to deliver it from a financial, technical and artistic standpoint they'd be making their own films themselves, instead of entitled rants on YouTube.

sheridan

Quote from: PsychoGoatee on 13 May, 2017, 07:25:28 AM
I'd love to see something like Graveyard Shift, just Dredd and co. handling calls nonstop for an episode. Then he briefly goes in the sleep machine, and goes right back out onto the streets. Wouldn't be the first episode, but it'd be cool to see somewhere in there.

Not to get ahead of ourselves, but I'd love to see Judge Death! But that feels like a season 2 kind of thing, not that I'd complain if he showed up early. And I'd enjoy it if his first appearance is just one or two episodes, kind of like how it was a relatively brief story in the comics. And may not appear again for a year or two.

Wasn't it the plan to leave Judge Death to the second Dredd 2012 film?  And I'm sure I've read somewhere in the past 22 years that there was a similar plan for the Judge Dredd 1995 film.  Seems like if you want to include Dark Judges then put them in from the beginning :-)

sheridan

Not wanting to get mired in the 'comic uniform' versus 'realistic uniform' debate too much, but for those of you who cosplay at conventions, just how bulky are the uniforms you wear?  Do you feel you could run, jump, duck, squat or climb in them?  Leave the weight of the armour out of it for the moment, as with 82 years between the present day and 2099 I'd expect materials science to develop harder but lighter substances.  This question goes out to comic, 2012 and rubber chicken wearers (are there any 1995 cosplayers, I don't recall seeing any photos).

sheridan

Quote from: sheridan on 13 May, 2017, 09:58:36 AM
Not wanting to get mired in the 'comic uniform' versus 'realistic uniform' debate too much, but for those of you who cosplay at conventions, just how bulky are the uniforms you wear?  Do you feel you could run, jump, duck, squat or climb in them?  Leave the weight of the armour out of it for the moment, as with 82 years between the present day and 2099 I'd expect materials science to develop harder but lighter substances.  This question goes out to comic, 2012 and rubber chicken wearers (are there any 1995 cosplayers, I don't recall seeing any photos).

p.s. I do really like the wall judge at the beginning of 1995, and the Judge Hunters / SJS.

dweezil2

Quote from: sheridan on 13 May, 2017, 09:53:45 AM
Quote from: PsychoGoatee on 13 May, 2017, 07:25:28 AM

Wasn't it the plan to leave Judge Death to the second Dredd 2012 film?  And I'm sure I've read somewhere in the past 22 years that there was a similar plan for the Judge Dredd 1995 film.  Seems like if you want to include Dark Judges then put them in from the beginning :-)

I'm pretty sure writer Alex Garland had a trilogy of Dredd films in mind in which Judge Death would form the basis for the third film.
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

dweezil2

Quote from: Krakajac on 13 May, 2017, 09:40:36 AM
In an effort to keep this thread positive...

Just imagine some years from now - having multiple seasons of a Judge Dredd TV series sitting on your bluray/DVD shelf.  Incredible times we live in.  Who would've thunk it?

I couldn't agree more with this statement!

A few years back any continuation of the Dredd mythos on film or TV seemed dead in the water and now we have the best news imaginable!

I couldn't be a more happier squax that our hopes have been realised and I wish nothing but the best for the production and I will devour any news eagerly. 
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Steve Green

Quote from: sheridan on 13 May, 2017, 09:58:36 AM

I don't wear them but have plenty of experience of shooting with them both on Minty and ref photos for Dark Justice.

Minty had a 2-piece costume as does the 2012 costume. The PR leathers are one piece leathers which are worse for bending down/squatting as there's little give in them, unless there's something elastic in places.

Running - most of the PR costumes tend to be bike boots which are terrible for running in, they're designed for riding on a bike, we chopped a pair up for Minty so they had more flex in them. That's not an either or thing just the quickest cheapest route to source boots.

The PR pads don't restrict arm movement much that I recall, possibly the plain pad can bump into the helmet. The Eagle doesn't have that problem because it's V-shaped from the top.

It's more the rigidity of the pads and the plain pad being straight which stops much rolling about in them.

The old PR pads were solid rubber, pretty stiff - the new set Dan is selling is lightweight foam - I guess you could roll about but they would just end up folding/bending.

We had John Burdis rolling along the floor after Minty comes off the bike - It's not ideal for stunts, but not as bad as the 1995 costume which is more of a single lump.

moly

Really excited about this show but it looks like rebellion are putting the money into this and then selling it on via IM for distribution if it doesn't work out wouldn't their be a big financial loss at stake which could effect the company ?

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: moly on 13 May, 2017, 10:23:40 AM
Really excited about this show but it looks like rebellion are putting the money into this and then selling it on via IM for distribution if it doesn't work out wouldn't their be a big financial loss at stake which could effect the company ?

I'm pretty sure that's not how TV production works...
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.