Main Menu

Judge Dredd: Mega-City One - TV show announced!

Started by Jim_Campbell, 10 May, 2017, 05:10:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy Lambert

Pretty sure none of us here are under any illusion that what we discuss here will influence the making of the show, but it's fun to speculate and fantasise. No harm in that.

Goaty

I think America would be great start to the Series? Get the new viewers familiar with the Mega-City One.

Karl did this;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JFgxnWVBL4

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Andy Lambert on 18 May, 2017, 01:11:52 PM
Nah, sorry - I'm one of those that want to see the muties, robots, Dark Judges and things that go bump in the night. They're as much a part of Dredd's history as the police procedurals and we shouldn't feel embarrassed by them.

Hallelujah! My Mega-City One is a place of fatties, aliens, talking gorillas, sensitive kleggs, uglies, simps, and buisness men with shark heads.
@jamesfeistdraws

Andy Lambert

America is brilliant, but I'd say it would benefit more from appearing later - late series 1, or series 2 perhaps, so the poignancy of the story has the greatest impact. I guess the first few episodes should involve more "routine" cases allowing for the audience to get acquainted with Mega-City 1 and it's inhabitants.

Andy Lambert

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 18 May, 2017, 01:27:30 PM
Nah, sorry - I'm one of those that want to see the muties, robots, Dark Judges and things that go bump in the night. They're as much a part of Dredd's history as the police procedurals and we shouldn't feel embarrassed by them.

Hallelujah! My Mega-City One is a place of fatties, aliens, talking gorillas, sensitive kleggs, uglies, simps, and buisness men with shark heads.

Amen to that! :)

SIP

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 18 May, 2017, 01:27:30 PM

I just think it would all turnoff the wider audience. It is all part of Dredd history, but the hard-core Dredd fans will not be enough viewers to ensure a series is successful. You have to sell this to a wider audience. Sensitive Kleggs and Walter might endanger that. Ground this in the core material first, much like the film did, then expand if the series succeeds.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: SIP on 18 May, 2017, 01:02:43 PM
The tone should be serious with an undercurrent of nihilistic black humour.

I believe a monotone representation of MC-1 would limit stories, be quite boring, and ultimately wouldn't last very long. The key is in the title, it's Judge Dredd: MEGA-CITY ONE - with emphasis on the latter.

It's a mistake to presume a version Mega City-1 with a fuller range of moods and tones on-screen wouldn't work. It can't really be written-off just because no one has ever tried doing it. I think a broader idea of Dredd and his world would actually be the opposite of an audience turn-off.

The Legendary Shark

I'd hate to see this turn into C.S.I.-M.C.1 - the aliens, robots, nuclear warheads, radioactive plagues and mutants are mundane, run-of-the-mill things in MC1 and should be treated as such by both writers and characters.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Steve Green

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 18 May, 2017, 02:07:04 PM

I believe a monotone representation of MC-1 would limit stories, be quite boring, and ultimately wouldn't last very long. The key is in the title, it's Judge Dredd: MEGA-CITY ONE - with emphasis on the latter.

It's a mistake to presume a version Mega City-1 with a fuller range of moods and tones on-screen wouldn't work. It can't really be written-off just because no one has ever tried doing it. I think a broader idea of Dredd and his world would actually be the opposite of an audience turn-off.

What Joe said.

And, as I pointed out - a mutant T-Rex and the Angel Gang were on the cards for sequels, even if a sequel directed by Alex had happened, it sounds like it would have been more out-there than 2012 Dredd.

Mad Max 2 compared to Mad Max.

von Boom

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 18 May, 2017, 02:11:12 PM
I'd hate to see this turn into C.S.I.-M.C.1 - the aliens, robots, nuclear warheads, radioactive plagues and mutants are mundane, run-of-the-mill things in MC1 and should be treated as such by both writers and characters.

This. Oh so much this.

SIP

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 18 May, 2017, 02:07:04 PM

The walking dead TV show has been a grim monotone for series after series extremely successfully. So can't agree on that point. Similarly game of thrones also holds a fairly dark tone with some use of humour.  Many a dredd epic has done exactly this and have been considered amongst the favourites of readers. Day of chaos for example.

We absolutely disagree on the direction we would want, I think packing in 40 years of the more wacky elements of Dredd would be a mistake.

Steve Green

I have a box set of s5 of TWD sat on the shelf, lasted about one episode.

GOT has enough fun, and the thought that it's a finite story which keeps me engaged.

SIP

Quote from: Steve Green on 18 May, 2017, 03:04:49 PM
I have a box set of s5 of TWD sat on the shelf, lasted about one episode.

GOT has enough fun, and the thought that it's a finite story which keeps me engaged.

Walking Dead, with exception of the most recent series which fell a little flat, has pretty much been some of my favourite TV. Like it or not, you can't deny it's success and appeal to a large audience.

SuperSurfer

Reading the differing opinions on this thread it is evident that there is no 'fan consensus', which is just as well.

Having said that (sorry Mr Wells) only one thing (well, two) will make this series appeal to a wider audience.

"Judge Dwedd, my hewo!"

von Boom

Is that Rob Schneider? You want Walter voiced by Rob Schneider? *shudder*