Main Menu

Judge Dredd: Mega-City One - TV show announced!

Started by Jim_Campbell, 10 May, 2017, 05:10:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ABCwarBOT

Quote from: Rusty on 12 August, 2017, 10:00:09 PM
Quote from: 8-Ball on 12 August, 2017, 12:53:25 PM
If the next pieces of concept art to be released have some of that Judge Dredd uniqueness then I'll be as happy as a pig in poop. Until then...
Like the Stallone version did? God, I hope not. It might be a very polarising thing on here, but for me, it has to retain a bit of actual real world semblance, similar to what we see today in cities, and similar to what the 2012 came across as.  Having buildings look all futuristic, with architecture and geometry that just makes no logical sense is a deal breaker as far as my perspective goes. I'm talking about the mushroom-domed structures of the comic. The same goes for the design of the vehicles and in particular the Lawmaster. It would just seem weird to see judges on screen riding a bike that resembles a 1970's LA cop's road bike, with the long chopper handlebars. That's not to say some kind of design like the comic book Lawmaster wouldn't fit in some way, but again its a similar situation to the armour: practicality matters more on screen, where things are more grounded than what they are on a page. I think most of how everything looks will rely entirely on the technology used within the series' universe. Will it be more Star Trek, or Terminator/Aliens?

The Mezco Lawmaster is a great updating of the design to me.   The handlebars are fairly long but it looks futuristic and not 70s chopper like.

Mardroid

While I'm not adverse to buildings of a present day type (albeit much taller, in the case of the blocks, of course) for the sake of realism and continuity, I hope we see some of the comic style domes and mushrooms as well. I think they're a beautiful organic design, part and parcel of Megacity One, to me.

ABCwarBOT

Quote from: Mardroid on 13 August, 2017, 02:18:52 AM
While I'm not adverse to buildings of a present day type (albeit much taller, in the case of the blocks, of course) for the sake of realism and continuity, I hope we see some of the comic style domes and mushrooms as well. I think they're a beautiful organic design, part and parcel of Megacity One, to me.

Again there's room for all sorts of things.   

Woolly

Those images are spankingly good, thank you very much. Not that it matters much at this stage.

If the scripts are up to scratch, and the performances capture the character of the comic, as per the 2012 film, then the actual design of the city can be nothing more than an added bonus.

And judging by the images released, that'll be one nice looking bonus  :thumbsup:
As others have said, it'd be nice to see a few McMahon-esque rounded domes shoved in with all the straight lines, but I still ain't complainin'.

Rusty

Quote from: ABCwarBOT on 13 August, 2017, 02:13:47 AM

The Mezco Lawmaster is a great updating of the design to me.   The handlebars are fairly long but it looks futuristic and not 70s chopper like.
Yeah, it is. I'd personally have that a little more streamlined and rustic-looking. However, it's not really the overall aesthetic that the screen Lawmaster has to contend with. As you can see from the Mezo, those tires are massive. Normally when you have tires that wide, they are on very low profile choppers, and I'm not sure if I've even seen a bike with a front tire as wide as a back tire that's as big. To me, the fat tires are the defining trait of any Lawmaster. Unfortunately I just don't think those are feasible on a real world bike. 

Rusty

The Mezco more or less looks the same profile silhouette as the 2012 bike. Beef the 2012 one up a wee bit, add a couple of wide exhaust pipes ether side at the back, just for aesthetic reasons, and some square beams at the front. Job done, I reckon.

Beeks

Dirty Frank and Lenny to get an outing?

Love Lenny..one of the few to get one over on Joe
"We keep on being told that religion, whatever its imperfections, at least instills morality. On every side, there is conclusive evidence that the contrary is the case and that faith causes people to be more mean, more selfish, and perhaps above all, more stupid." ― Christopher Hitchens

ABCwarBOT

Quote from: Rusty on 13 August, 2017, 07:41:31 PM
Quote from: ABCwarBOT on 13 August, 2017, 02:13:47 AM

Yeah, it is. I'd personally have that a little more streamlined and rustic-looking. However, it's not really the overall aesthetic that the screen Lawmaster has to contend with. As you can see from the Mezo, those tires are massive. Normally when you have tires that wide, they are on very low profile choppers, and I'm not sure if I've even seen a bike with a front tire as wide as a back tire that's as big. To me, the fat tires are the defining trait of any Lawmaster. Unfortunately I just don't think those are feasible on a real world bike.

I don't know how wide tyres can be on a real bike before it becomes unridable or dangerous but in the future maybe huge tyres are feasible?   The back tyre could still be wider than the front tyre though.

ABCwarBOT

Quote from: Rusty on 13 August, 2017, 07:47:59 PM
The Mezco more or less looks the same profile silhouette as the 2012 bike. Beef the 2012 one up a wee bit, add a couple of wide exhaust pipes ether side at the back, just for aesthetic reasons, and some square beams at the front. Job done, I reckon.

Hmmm to be honest I'd rather they stayed away from the 2012 design.    I'm not saying it's terrible (though obviously many people didn't like it) but I'd like to see something closer to the comic design.   I think Dredd should have a bike where he has that chopper stance with his hands outstretched in front of him as it makes him and the bike look more powerful.   The 2012 bike just didn't have that and it didn't look big or powerful enough.   Dredds bike should be massive.

JLC

Quote from: Rusty on 13 August, 2017, 07:47:59 PM
I'm wondering how close they are allowed to get to the designs of the 2012 film seeing as this is a show created by another team? For example the Judges' uniform in the movie is great, even though different from the comic but I'm guessing it will be totally redesigned.

Mardroid

I think a uniform and bike somewhere in between the comic and film equivalents would appeal to me.

While I think the riot cop look of the film was good, it may be nice if they'd adopt something less chunky and thick to accommodate the fact that future technology can manufacture thinner lighter material with the same or greater toughness of the material of yesteryear. Something that maybe looks a bit thicker and heavy duty than the tradition bike leathers.

Then again, the uniform and even the helmet isn't much cop when direct hits are concerned in both film and comics. I've seen judges even shot through the helmet! I think Ezquerra's idea behind the original uniform armour was to protect the Judge if they came off their bike (hence the shoulder and joint pads, yet very little protecting their vital organs). But it makes sense a bit of body armour would be utilised.

Lawmaster: this is an interesting one. The big beast motorbikes of the comics (both versions) look great and intimidating. The film version, cool though it was, much less so. However, even if you assume that the thicker tires would be practically doable, a smaller bike is more practical when you consider weaving through traffic and the narrower roads and alleys is concerned.

Yet for the judges an intimidating image is very important. And a series is hardly the real world either.

I hope they lean towards 'big' with the bike. Something long and sleek, but far less proportionally chunky in the wheel department. Something menacing, but you'd imagine to be maneuverable.

8-Ball

If the next pieces of concept art to be released have some of that Judge Dredd uniqueness then I'll be as happy as a pig in poop. Until then...
Like the Stallone version did? God, I hope not. It might be a very polarising thing on here, but for me, it has to retain a bit of actual real world semblance,

No, it doesn't. Not really. Start taking away the crazy architecture and it stops being Judge Dredd. It just  becomes yet another generic futuristic cityscape. Ezquerra's, McMahon's and Flint's MC1. With McNeil's colour scheme. That's the way to go.
Whatever happened to Rico, Dolman and Cadet Paris? I'm sooo out of the loop.

Mardroid

I thought the architecture was something the Stallone film got right, but you're right. It wasn't really a Judge Dredd film. (Well, not how we recognise him now, anyway. In the early days he was rather different, but Stallone didn't even do that right.)

Something in between the two films styles would work well for me. Or even districts in each style as others have mentioned.

JLC

Quote from: 8-Ball on 14 August, 2017, 12:13:39 PM
Like the Stallone version did? God, I hope not. It might be a very polarising thing on here, but for me, it has to retain a bit of actual real world semblance,

No, it doesn't. Not really. Start taking away the crazy architecture and it stops being Judge Dredd. It just  becomes yet another generic futuristic cityscape. Ezquerra's, McMahon's and Flint's MC1. With McNeil's colour scheme. That's the way to go.
I agree. The insanity of MC1 should be reflected in its architecture. Giant futuristic cities are very common in cinema so we need the unique craziness of the MC1 of the comic to make it stand out from the rest, particularly to new audiences.

Magnetica

Quote from: Mardroid on 14 August, 2017, 12:02:09 PM
Then again, the uniform and even the helmet isn't much cop when direct hits are concerned in both film and comics. I've seen judges even shot through the helmet! I think Ezquerra's idea behind the original uniform armour was to protect the Judge if they came off their bike (hence the shoulder and joint pads, yet very little protecting their vital organs). But it makes sense a bit of body armour would be utilised.

I believe the uniform provides precisely the amount of protection (or lack thereof) that the script requires.
If the script says "Dredd gets shot the head and is absolutely fine a couple days later with a few bandages wrapped round it" then that is what happens.  :lol: