Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: PLEASANTLY SURPRISED BY THE NEW STAR TREK: DISCOVERY SERIES  (Read 69951 times)

Bolt-01

• Global Moderator
  • CALL-ME-KENNETH!
  • It ain't called ZARJAZ fer nuthin'!
    • View Profile
    • FutureQuake Press
Re: PLEASANTLY SURPRISED BY THE NEW STAR TREK: DISCOVERY SERIES
« Reply #630 on: 01 December, 2020, 07:45:45 PM »
I'm currently halfway through series one - just watched episode 6, and I'm enjoying it so far.

Rara Avis

• Sentient Tea Bot
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: 11 January, 2021, 06:39:46 PM »
I watched the trailer for Season 3 and I couldn't bring myself to watch the actual show. I don't care about Michael or any of the characters or what happens to them.

I've been rewatching TNG instead and find that far more enjoyable.

broodblik

• Battle Hardened War Robot
  • watkykjy?
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: 11 January, 2021, 06:54:18 PM »
I'm currently halfway through series one - just watched episode 6, and I'm enjoying it so far.

I am also halfway through and I am enjoying it so far.
Old age is the Lord’s way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death’s in case we didn’t take the hint.

The pen is mightier than the sword if the sword is very short, and the pen is very sharp.

Tiplodocus

• Bionic Fingers
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: 02 February, 2021, 10:30:30 PM »
So I made it through to the end but I'll admit it's been variable quality for me. If it wasn't Star Trek, I probably would not have persevered.

Some elements of the final episodes were very traditional (the whole Sukol thing) and great. Some were like the lower points of Enterprise or Voyager (the same unconvincing main villain reappearing constantly) and some... Some I had no idea what they were (repeated running gun battles, fights on turbolifts in the Tardiis like interior of Discovery and the aforementioned apology and accompanying "message".

The Thing that winds me up most is the Constant. Fucking. Emoting.

It's non stop. They can't even order a meal from the replicator without an earnest declaration of their true feelings .

So much so that everything just disappears into a soup of overwrought looks to the camera from under their furrowed brows and a litany of "You are my north star", "I love you", "Without you, I would be lost",  and "You complete me".

And that's just the wee robots.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

shaolin_monkey

• Bananas For The Win!
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: 03 February, 2021, 10:06:16 AM »
Yeah, have to say I agree with Tip. It’s worse than Next Gen FFS. And they don’t even have a bloody empath aboard!

Anyway, it was a reasonable series, and I watched it and enjoyed it for the most part, but it’s a long way away from being the best sci-fi on the box at the moment.

The Legendary Shark

• CALL-ME-KENNETH!
  • Tip: Sharks only attack you if you're wet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: 07 April, 2021, 09:24:41 PM »

I did not enjoy Discovery when I first saw it and was putting off S3, intending to watch it at some point just because it's Star Trek. However, others have enjoyed it and so I needed to adjust my context and alter the elevation of my head canon. I needed a way to engage with it properly.

Given that the Trek timelines are malleable, to say the least, I imagined that during the film First Contact, Reg Barclay accidentally left a self-sealing stem bolt behind thus advancing technology by a couple of decades or so. This rationalisation complete, I decided to go right back to the beginning and start again.

This time around, I'm happy to say, I enjoyed Discovery a Hell of a lot more. Setting it in the Reg Barclay's Misplaced Self-Stealing Stem Bolt Timeline worked a treat for me and now I'm up to E4 of S3 and enjoying the series so far (even if it is basically Andromeda rebooted).

There are still too many incidences of protracted soul-searching during time critical crises and Discovery is still a thoroughly ugly starship, but apart from that I'm feeling like a proper Trekkie (or is it Trekker?) again, enfolded in the loving wings of the Great Bird of the Galaxy,  and everything's right with the Universe.

Anyway, my weekend started a few hours ago so - Third season through the night......and straight on till morning.

~~~^~~~~~~~

Rest in peace, Dave.

Professor Bear

• Bionic Fingers
  • "Why, Black Dynamite? WHY?"
    • View Profile
    • Your Friends and Neighbors
« Reply #637 on: 11 April, 2021, 04:35:10 PM »
(Watches season 2 of Star Trek Discovery)  There will never be a worse Star Trek than this.
(Watches Star Trek Picard) ...
(Watches season 3 of Star Trek Discovery) This show doesn't seem as terrible as I remember.

von Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #638 on: 11 April, 2021, 05:25:00 PM »
(Watches season 2 of Star Trek Discovery)  There will never be a worse Star Trek than this.
(Watches Star Trek Picard) ...
(Watches season 3 of Star Trek Discovery) This show doesn't seem as terrible as I remember.
I think you may have stumbled across CBS's master plan for Star Trek!