Main Menu

PSVR - Recommended or not?

Started by The Enigmatic Dr X, 31 May, 2019, 12:02:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Enigmatic Dr X

I see there's a PS4 sale starting next week, with PSVR sets at £180.

I am sorely tempted to pick one up. I have a PS4 Pro, so it has a bit of extra oomph to run it.

My question is, has anyone got PSVR and is it just a gimmick? Is it worth it?
Lock up your spoons!

broodblik

I have the PSVR set and for me its is a clumsy device with too much cables. The games I also found to be uninteresting. Try out the device before if you can to see if it is your cup of tea.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

wedgeski

VR has changed the way I look at games -- and entertainment in general, for that matter.

At that kind of money I wouldn't hesitate.

TordelBack

It's a fun gadget, and I've not experienced any of the predicted nausea, but I note that my kids play with it far less than without. Despite enjoying the intro stuff, Doom and Skyrim myself, the titles just don't seem to be there.

broodblik

The PSVR resolution is limited to 1920 x 1080. So if resolution is important and you have a 4K screen then your games will be down scaled
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

TordelBack

Quote from: broodblik on 31 May, 2019, 01:22:39 PM
The PSVR resolution is limited to 1920 x 1080. So if resolution is important and you have a 4K screen then your games will be down scaled

Why would that matter? (Honest question).

broodblik

Resolution is important for certain people. Higher resolution can have better detail. I did find the PSVR resolution to be one reason why I actually do not use it anymore. The lack of quality titles I also found to be another setback. 

Bolt-01

I still miss his measured tone and knowledgeable opinions; and he knew how to make good comics.

Oh, hold on this isn't a thread asking about PVS..?

TordelBack

Foolish Bolt.

Quote from: broodblik on 31 May, 2019, 03:31:56 PM
Resolution is important for certain people. Higher resolution can have better detail. I did find the PSVR resolution to be one reason why I actually do not use it anymore. The lack of quality titles I also found to be another setback. I

Yeah, but what I'm getting at is why you would be using your 4K screen with a VR game? The headset screens are  appreciably smaller than a phone.

pauljholden

Resolution is important in VR because you're looking through a lens that magnifies the screen which is right at your eyes, and so, even with 2k/4k screens you can often get a 'screen door' effect, in other words you can see the pixels - and worse you can see the tiny gaps between the pixels - those black areas look like a screen door over the screen. Higher density screens make those gaps disappear (and we're really talking 8k for this)

-PJ

broodblik

I have a 4K TV and my PS4 is linked to it. 

I, Cosh

They say that Wipeout VR and Tetris Experience are incredible.
We never really die.

GrudgeJohnDeed

I'd try it out first if you can, the deciding factor for me would be whether playing the kind of games you'd like to in VR makes you feel sick. Maybe this gets better as you get your VR legs but I don't think I'll ever avoid the motion sickness induced by several of my senses being fooled into thinking I'm physically moving when my inner ear says otherwise.

But if it doesn't make you feel sick, VR is revelatory. The first VR experience I ever had was that London gangster PSVR one, and I spent about 20 minutes just sat in a seat in a virtual warehouse aiming down the sights of a pistol and playing with a tin can, completely blown away. Fingers crossed for an affordable 360 degree running machine for VR one day, that might help us sickies!

TordelBack

Quote from: pauljholden on 31 May, 2019, 04:20:23 PM
Resolution is important in VR because you're looking through a lens that magnifies the screen which is right at your eyes, and so, even with 2k/4k screens you can often get a 'screen door' effect, in other words you can see the pixels - and worse you can see the tiny gaps between the pixels - those black areas look like a screen door over the screen. Higher density screens make those gaps disappear (and we're really talking 8k for this)

I get all that, and I've experienced it too (it was definitely noticeable, but to someone whose gaming heyday was facilitated by a 13" B&W portable CRT TV, it was fine), but I'm obviously being characteristically dense and missing something here: why would having a PS4 linked up to a 4K (or 8K) TV have anything to do with the resolution of a VR headset?  Surely it has the titchy (relatively!) Low Res screens it has, and that's that. There's no functional relationship, surely?

In my head I'm hearing "I drive a fast car, and I don't recommend getting a bicycle because it's slower". Aren't they doing two separate things, VR and large flat screen gaming? You're trading resolution for the ability to crane your neck in painful directions while screaming "jayzuzfukkkincryst they're-all-over-me!" while your children stare on aghast. Whether you also own, or do not own, a high-res TV for other gaming seems irrelevant. To me.

But as I say, I get the feeling something is sailing over my head waving as it goes by.  Is this what it is to be old?

Dandontdare