Main Menu

UNDT FINAL!!!: Johnny Alpha vs Torquemada

Started by Colin YNWA, 05 October, 2020, 06:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Quote from: credo on 09 October, 2020, 11:16:59 AM
Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 09 October, 2020, 10:22:15 AM
you just don't get English sci-fi cowboys with a Nazi dads and Viking mates in other publications.

Well there's a tag line for the xmas prog!

Isn't it just - GENIUS!

Colin YNWA

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 09 October, 2020, 09:25:13 AM
Alpha > Dredd.

Which does beg the question... should we???*

*Which is not to say I in anyway endorse this view. In fact far from it BUT I do wonder how many other do???

Magnetica

The thing for me, is that given Carlos is no longer with us and it is looking like there will now be no more Strontium Dog, that is the single biggest loss to the Prog (other than losing Dredd).

I think it can tolerate the loss of just about any other strip, but no more SD leaves a massive hole.

IndigoPrime

The distinct voice for much of the strip's length means it's a very hole difficult to fill. There was nothing quite like Strontium Dog in 2000 AD, but also without Ezquerra's rugged, organic, unique visuals and Wagner's storytelling... what's the point? I mean, I'm sure other writers/artists could work on some solid Strontium Dog tales, but it'd almost certainly feel like a covers band.

broodblik

Quote from: Magnetica on 09 October, 2020, 02:45:14 PM
The thing for me, is that given Carlos is no longer with us and it is looking like there will now be no more Strontium Dog, that is the single biggest loss to the Prog (other than losing Dredd).

I think it can tolerate the loss of just about any other strip, but no more SD leaves a massive hole.

I think in the xmas prog there is going to be a Johnny Alpha story; I am sure if it is going to labelled as a Strontium Dog story or not. "Johnny Alpha has a Kreeler scientist in his sights in 'Once Upon a Time in Der Vest' by Rob Williams and Laurence Campbell"
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 09 October, 2020, 12:12:14 PM
Quote from: credo on 09 October, 2020, 11:16:59 AM
Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 09 October, 2020, 10:22:15 AM
you just don't get English sci-fi cowboys with a Nazi dads and Viking mates in other publications.

Well there's a tag line for the xmas prog!

Isn't it just - GENIUS!

Why thank you.  Shame about my grammar.

Quote from: sheridan on 09 October, 2020, 11:41:23 AM

He might* have a pretty warped outlook on politics,

I dunno... It's pretty much par for the course these days.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Greg M.

A disappointing but inevitable result. I dared to dream that 2000AD readers - frequent scorners of the goodie-goodie ways of US superchaps - might be a little more original in their thinking, but no, they wanted a hero to win.

Meanwhile, the tournament's one true hero has only this to say...

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Greg M. on 09 October, 2020, 08:26:01 PM
A disappointing but inevitable result. I dared to dream that 2000AD readers - frequent scorners of the goodie-goodie ways of US superchaps - might be a little more original in their thinking, but no, they wanted a hero to win.

It's fairly telling that 2000ad's version of the goodie-goodie hero kills people for money, and once tricked an enemy into mistakenly think he'd survived an assassination attempt purely to prolong his suffering before actually killing him.

That said, I voted Torquemada too.  Oy-Boys - stand back and stand by. 
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Greg M.

In fairness to US comics, one of Marvel's biggest heroes is a racial supremacist who stabs his victims to death, so Johnny's about on a moral par.

And so, oddly, is Torquemada.

Colin YNWA

That's Wolverine righht... took me a while?!?

Anyway I meant to share this if anyone is interested in this type of thing the spreadsheet for the tourney

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1A1UTrGivpwMSX53dPQchStXiidOA8m5HBEWo3hjJvn8/edit?usp=sharing

Edited to add: Oh and I take no responsibility for the spelling of any viking types... even though its entirely my responsibility. Playing a Hancock.

Greg M.

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 10 October, 2020, 11:31:12 AM
That's Wolverine righht... took me a while?!?
Yeah - the transition of the X-Men into a mutant supremacist immortal hivemind sex-cult nation has been an... interesting one.