Main Menu

Comicscene's top 10 comics of 2020

Started by rogue69, 04 January, 2021, 09:35:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogue69

2000AD and British comics shows it's strength with nearly the whole Comicscene's top 10 of 2020 having a connection to the comic with 2000Ad coming in at number 1, the 77 number 2 and the Megazine coming fourth and only 3 US comics in the top10

https://comicscene.org/2021/01/04/your-comicscene-top-10-comics-of-2020-results/

Colin YNWA

Save this, Interesting list - Shift should have been higher. A lot higher! But good to see a different list at least.

Professor Bear

Andrew_J

Thats a good list. More stuff to add to my Must Read backlog.

IndigoPrime

Interesting how local this is. You can imagine Americans looking at this and not recognising half the list at least.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 05 January, 2021, 11:45:40 AM
Interesting how local this is. You can imagine Americans looking at this and not recognising half the list at least.

To be fair I wonder how much most UK comic fans would!

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

That's very encouraging, all told- and great to see so much British content being so highly regarded. There are a lot of UK produced comics at the moment that have successfully blurred that line between "fanzine" and "comic"- it's become very hard to look at something like The77, Sentinel or Spacewarp and hear that voice from the 80s echoing up through the years, sneeringly wondering why you'd buy an "amateur comic" when there are so many professional titles available. With the ease of getting these things from webshops- especially in a year when most "real shops" weren't even open and we all had to order our comics through the post- the old model of them only being "real" if they appeared on the shelves also seemed to slip away at last.

The three I mentioned, plus Zarjaz, Dogbreath, Shift etc, are now my comics landscape- and I look forward to them all with, if not the exact same anticipation that i reserve for the prog and the Meg, then something a lot closer than i expected.

I still dont know what that suspiciously young adult looking graphic novel in the middle of that list is though. Will have to check it out.

SBT

IndigoPrime

Pulp is very good, FWIW. I finally grabbed a copy last week because the HC is clearly going OOP. It's short but really smart and has some great twists throughout—but then it's hard to imagine otherwise from those two creators.