Main Menu

The Judges Helmet

Started by broodblik, 25 January, 2021, 01:19:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leigh S

Any true scholar of the helmet must examine the difference between McMahon's opening two episodes of The Cursed Earth (progs 61,62) with the cover and content of prog 63 - it's the first modern "straight sided" helmet to my eyes and Bolland follows suit

Leigh S

Though curiously, you'll see a straighter, more modern helmet in the 50s progs from McMahon too

Andrew_J

I'm surprised this one never caught on.
Did I read somewhere that this was a Brendan McCarthy design but he didn't have time to draw the strip, so David Roach did it instead?

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Andrew_J on 28 January, 2021, 05:10:33 PM
I'm surprised this one never caught on.
Did I read somewhere that this was a Brendan McCarthy design but he didn't have time to draw the strip, so David Roach did it instead?

Can't remember why exactly David Roach did the strip, but it was definitely a Brendan McCarthy design.  A great little one-off story too - was it an Al Ewing job?

I was just re-reading Helter Skelter today  (I liked it, anyway), and really liked the way Carlos used the McCarthy-style helmets for the judges from other dimensions.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"