Main Menu

Prog 2226 - Enter the Nunja

Started by Colin YNWA, 06 April, 2021, 05:12:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Aaaagh, deleted my entire point: would a hi-tech plastic work the same way? A non-flammable version of Boing, say?

Colin YNWA

Quote from: TordelBack on 08 April, 2021, 09:22:27 AM
Aaaagh, deleted my entire point: would a hi-tech plastic work the same way? A non-flammable version of Boing, say?

If it helps the plot it would = sci-fi plot science.

The Corinthian

broodblik

Quote from: The Corinthian on 08 April, 2021, 09:40:36 AM
Is Slaine ever coming back?

Yes it will be back but when is  the question. Only episode is left
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

norton canes

Having only returned to the fold in 2017 after a 17-year prog-lapse I'm not as jaded with the Dredd vs. SJS trope as some of you more dedicated squaxx, so I'm finding plenty to enjoy in 'A Penitent Man' (anyone else getting a Billy Joel earworm?). Though this week is mostly background and exposition, it's setting the scene for a potentially fantastic four further episodes. Am I overthinking this, or would it actually be quite difficult to write graffiti across cupboards and shelving so that the letters extend over the flat surfaces?

Another excellent Vision of Deadworld - these are so much more gratifyingly immediate than the ongoing saga. Thistlebone continues to fascinate, though as this instalment demonstrates, I'm not sure the character (I say 'character', she's more just a narrative instrument) of Seema is really needed? Feral & Foe continues to be utterly glorious - every panel is brilliant. The sissy-flapping at the bottom of the first page was priceless. It can get as meta as it likes AFAIK!

Finally 'Chorus & The Ring' (definitely what I'm going to call my vapourwave band) - agreed, not really enough to go on in this first instalment to judge. I am getting shades of Abnett's Durham Red, though. Interesting that the device on the Signet Spiritus was a straight-up star of David, and not some made-up mystical sigil. Tell you what, I really want to get Dylan Teague round to paint a few rooms in our house.

More Hope, yes! Also, do we know when the Rennie droid will next grace the prog?

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: norton canes on 08 April, 2021, 10:11:23 AM
Also, do we know when the Rennie droid will next grace the prog?

I'm not sure when it's scheduled to run, but the Goddard droid appears to currently be hard at work on a new book of Aquila...
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

NapalmKev

Quote from: TordelBack on 07 April, 2021, 09:08:18 AM

Thistlebone: I fear folk looking for horror action are going to be disappointed: this is the action. Which is to say, creeping tension, unsettling imagery and odd incidents is what this strip does, and it does it brilliantly.

I agree. Thistlebone is one of my favorite strips in recent years and I have the lovely hardcover of the first series sat next to me. I think the slow burn nature is a benefit to this kind of tale/Folklore Horror.

Deadworld is just glorious and another of my favorites. Three cheers for brave, loyal Sir Robin Judge Gargon!

Dredd continues to intrigue and Feral and Foe is great. The 3hriller? Didn't do much for me I'm afraid. Still, it's only the first episode so we'll see what happens.

Looking forward to the return of Hope...

Cheers

"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Bolt-01

All credit to Mike for the art in the 3riller (Mike is always welcome in the prog), and that Nunja looks very much like Dominique Tipper in the Expanse - a great look.

TordelBack

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 08 April, 2021, 12:53:10 PM
...and that Nunja looks very much like Dominique Tipper in the Expanse ...

Ah-hah, cheers Bolt couldn't put my finger on the resemblance and it was driving me crazy! Having enjoyed the Iberian idiocy of the Warrior Nun TV series last year my mind was firmly  stuck in that rut, when I should have set my sights higher.

TordelBack

Quote from: NapalmKev on 08 April, 2021, 10:37:30 AM
Thistlebone is one of my favorite strips in recent years and I have the lovely hardcover of the first series sat next to me.

Tempted!  I find myself regularly dipping into the Brutannia hardcovers just for a visual hit of SBD, and I can see this serving a similar function. Thistlebone really should be a crossover hit with both Euro- and post-Vertigo markets.

broodblik

All the reviews I have seen around Thistlebone is super positive. Even calling Thistlebone one of the best strips to grace the pages of AD.

TordelBack

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 08 April, 2021, 09:27:10 AM
Quote from: TordelBack on 08 April, 2021, 09:22:27 AM

If it helps the plot it would = sci-fi plot science.

S'right!

I suppose I'm just contemplating a proper materials-technological solution to the DJs - Boing (R)  for Death, a shotgun shell of undecayable microplastics for Mortis, an asbestos ballon full of halogen for Fire, an opaque carrier bag for Fear...

norton canes

Boing® only worked on Death while he was possessing Anderson, to stop his vaporous spirit escaping. Don't forget, while in corporeal form his chief modus operandi is his ability to pass through solid matter...

norton canes

(Or is it just organic matter? No, it must go through clothes too, at least some of which will be non-organic. Remind me, does he ever stick his hand through doors, walls etc.?)