Main Menu

Prog 2233:Regened - Ready to face the law?

Started by Tjm86, 22 May, 2021, 11:04:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

broodblik

A good regen prog. The regen prog has now created some good and interesting new characters.

Cadet Dredd – From all the Cadet Dredd's I have read this is my favourite. I want to add my voice to Colin's and I would never had guessed that Jake's art would suited the regen prog but he delivers a punch.

Shock – This one as already mentioned could have worked in the normal prog as well.  The bets of the regen shockers so far.

Anderson – It was an adequate story not the best but serviceable.

Pandora – As with the first story this is simply great fun, and the artwork is very good.  Langridge and Parson delivers anther winner for the regen prog.

Department K – The story continues from the previous one and it will be the first regen story that flows  directly into the regular prog. The highlight for me was PJ's art, his art works well, and it is pity that he will not continue art duties (not that anything is wrong with Cornwell's art). At least we will see him back on Chimpsky. Story-wise it was also a fun over the top story.

Well next week's prog looks interesting and more light-hearted. Surprise return is Mechastopheles and this is one I ma definitely looking forward too, enjoyed the first full series.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

broodblik

Quote from: Jacqusie on 25 May, 2021, 07:46:11 PM
" or which might be a better plan, we could opt out on the subscription, as I really don't want to have to keep paying for four of these every year"...

You will pay more if you buy the progs individually. So even if you do not like the regen it is still cheaper doing it via a subscription.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Link Prime

Another flick through, then direct to bag & board issue for me.
Cya next week pals.  :thumbsup:

Bad City Blue

Writer of SENTINEL, the best little indie out there

Leigh S

If nothing else you are missing a pretty great Dredd that fits perfectly in Wagner/Mills(let's not open that can!) continuity - God knows there's been times in the past where the only decent thing in the prog was Dredd (or one other), and that was week in week out - as it is, this is 3 out of 5 for me, so as decent a hit rate as I expect from my prog...

Quote from: Link Prime on 26 May, 2021, 10:36:00 AM
Another flick through, then direct to bag & board issue for me.
Cya next week pals.  :thumbsup:

IndigoPrime

Yeah, with this issue in particular, I can't see the problem. Dredd would be a perfectly reasonable flashback in the standard Prog. The Future Shock would sit fine in there too. Pandora is a bit of an oddball, but we've had other humour strips throughout 2000 AD's history in the standard Prog. The difference is that most of them weren't this good. Anderson was a bit flat for me (although far from the worst Anderson I've ever read). Dept K is gearing up for the main Prog anyway.

Woolly

Another great Regened Prog, thanks Joko Jargo :)

Best thing about Regened for me is that it's free of 2000AD's baggage, in the sense that it's free to follow it's own creative paths instead of trying to 'fit in' with the accepted idea of Prog content.

I've probably not worded that very well, but hopefully you get my gist!

Tjm86

Nah, that's a fair point.  Then again one of Tooth's strengths has been a somewhat ambiguous 'creative path' down through the years.  Granted the likes of Dredd has a lot of baggage as a mainstay of the prog but there have been many strips that have carved out their own furrows.

It's also worth reflecting on some of the advantages of building on 'accepted content' though.  A good example here is the superlative Jaegir.  Future War built on a strip that had long since passed its glory days?  It's also worth considering that two of the most-highly-regarded strips in this edition build on old material (Cadet Dredd and Department K).

Richard

I thought the Anderson story was perfectly alright, if you remember it's meant for younger readers.
Pandora Perfect made me laugh. This should be in every re-gened.
Department K was better than I was expecting. Apparently it's back next week for a series. Will be interesting to see what direction it goes in next.

IndigoPrime

Mm. It's hard to know where Dept K is going or where it wants to be. I'd assumed Black Science meets Dreddworld was on the cards, with the crew hopping dimensions and having adventures. Instead, it appears that all happened off-panel, between issues and they're now back in MC-1. The previous episode was intriguing. This one felt like it was blazing back towards the status quo. I guess we'll see over the coming weeks how it resolves and where it heads.

The Corinthian

Pandora Perfect is the kind of strip that I can't imagine could make the leap to the regular prog but is absolutely right for Regened.

I'm a bit sceptical about Department K going weekly [spoiler]but as we're now getting three Dreddworld strips per Prog for the foreseeable, I wonder if they're going to pull another Trifecta on us.[/spoiler]

Tiplodocus

I right enjoyed that. Cracking cover and Dredd. Pandora and Future Shock also really good. Anderson and Department K serviceable. Would have preferred less Dreddworld. But well done Joko Jargo
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

norton canes

Okay, cards on the table... I wasn't sure whether or not to get this, not being a fan of the Regened progs (or more accurately, recognising I'm not in the target demographic). So I had a peruse in Smiths, and it started well - Lynch on Dredd, perhaps this is worth getting after all - then I saw the wordsearch. And that was it, I bailed.

However, reading the positive comments in the thread here, I think I might reconsider and procure myself a copy.

MacabreMagpie

Quote from: norton canes on 26 May, 2021, 10:48:42 PMor more accurately, recognising I'm not in the target demographic

How can one be excluded from a target demographic that is explicitly "all ages"?

MacabreMagpie

(I kid, of course. But if you enjoyed the first strip then hopefully the rest will do it for you, too. There's some cracking work in there)