Main Menu

Phil Winslade or Dave Gibbons - Artists Ryder Cup Current vs Classic - Tie 26

Started by Colin YNWA, 07 June, 2021, 06:48:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

As we enter the last full week of the competition its all to play for and all square as Classic Team have pulled it back. There are 7 ties to go - what have each team got left in the bag? Well judging by this tie each still has a lot to offer.

Dave Gibbons is such a decent chap it was a real shame when he was just eased out of the Classic Tourney by Brett Ewins in the second round - it was so close. His mark on 2000ad is significant, seeming to draw in almost every issue of the first 100 or more Progd. Yes he's gone onto to bigger (but not) and better things BUT WE DON'T THINK ABOUT  THAT HERE.
We only care for work of Tharg (and sister publications ™)

Phil Winslade has almost the opposite trajectory. He has established himself as an artist working for the big two, only nudging Tharg's organ until recently. His work though on one series alone - Lawless in the Megazine is surely his opus a singularly brilliant piece of genius that earned him a Quarter Final spot in the Current Tourney and a legion of fans simply stunned by the level of detail and dedication he has weaved into this magnificent story. I believe he has kept the art of this series - just imagine - just imagine - if they decided to bring out an Artists Edition of that - wow!

Time for you to decide your favourite as the droids square up to the tee...

Phil Winslade - more info

OR

Dave Gibbons - more info

Remember for this tourney you have 5 votes to distribute as you please between these two artists, whole numbers only. So you can vote 5 - 0; 4 - 1; or 3 - 2; either way depending on how much more you like one artist's work over the other.

If you can't be doing with that just name your favourite - remember bold tags, or other ways of highlighting always appreciated - and I'll give them 3 votes and nowt to the other droid.

Three day votes, so this one ends morning of Thursday 10th June

Remember we only consider work for Tharg in these Tourneys

What the heck is all this about - well we have a thread for that

How does this new voting work? Look here and why again?

I don't understand how this works, what are the rules of the Ryder Cup - yep got ya covered there too

Anything else just ask and I'll make something up. Most importantly have fun!

BPP

Gibbons 3 - Phil 2

It's amazing how little Phil has worked in 2000ad. A bit like Staz I think his slightly old skool scratchy line mustn't have been Tharg's thing or maybe just happenstance but I likes it. However that lack of volume counts against a master like Gibbons. 2 great artists tho.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

abelardsnazz

Dave co-creation of Rogue, plus Dan Dare, Chronocops, ABC, Robo-Tales....all brilliant. Phil brings so much detail to Badrock it lives and breathes.

Dave Gibbons 3, Phil Winslade 2.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

AlexF

rogue69

Magnetica

Winslade is great; Gibbons is a legend. It would have been great to have had more from him for longer in the Prog.

Winslade 2 : 3 Gibbons

milstar

Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

Tomwe

DrJomster

This is really tricky. Dave's work is iconic, to be sure. Phil on the other hand is awesome! So, which is best? Tricky...

Dave 3, Phil 2 I think... but only because I'm not allowed 2.5, 2.5!
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

Dog Deever

I like Dave Gibbons' work, but I love Phil Winslade's.
Winslade 4 Gibbons 1
Just a little rough and tumble, Judge man.

Rogue Judge

Winslade 2 : Gibbons 3

Rogue Trooper or Lawless...two absolute favorite series. If I could own an original Rogue page, I'd pick Gibbons, but if I could have a commission from either,  I'd pick Winslade. Because of Rogue...Gibbons.

paddykafka