Main Menu

Masking Fluid and Paint Splatter

Started by AceRimmer, 07 July, 2021, 07:25:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AceRimmer

Does anyone know of any better type of brush, other than a toothbrush for spattering paint onto there panels?
Also, I have been using masking tape and masking fluid to cover the areas that I don't want to have any paint spattering on them. I have tried using a paint brush but once it's wet it seems to lose it springiness in the bristles. Dry brush spattering seems to work ok but it's hard to control or apply in the area I want to.

How do you cover the areas that you don't want spattered i.e. say if I want to spatter the paint on a helmet someone is wearing in my drawing but I don't want to hit their face or the background around the helmet. It's very hard to control where the spattering goes without having to use masking fluid to paint around the edges.

Any better methods or suggestions would be most welcome

pauljholden

Put some paint on the edge of a credit card, use a brush to fleck that paint from the card on to the canvas - can't remember where I first saw this, but it adds far more control.

(Mind you I'm all digital now, so I built a "paint splatter" brush and my life is so much cleaner now!)

AceRimmer

Thanks Paul, I'll give that a whirl

pauljholden

Also! The viscosity of the pain will determine what you get! Gloppy thick paint and you'll get streaks (or long blobs) thinner paint and you'll get very small droplets - experiment!

Colin YNWA

AceRimmer

Nice one Paul, I did notice getting blobby streaks other day and what is really weird (Colin) is that I had Spaced on in the back ground while I was working... Are you psychic Colin? Was a good series I thought, I watched season one properly, with full attention but when I was doing my spattering other day I had it on in the background and was in the zone ( painting) so not really paying full attention so will have to rewatch Season 2.

As for the blobs Paul, I do quite like having some larger blobs / stringy looking bits in there. I also tried it with masking fluid over the background layer of acrylic paint to create some rough figures and just to see if worked without pulling the paint off and it did. Not sure that it won't tear up some of the under layer of paint in the future though.

AceRimmer

Ha ha just realised that Spaced comment wasn't for me, you're on about the fine artist who paints in the house, Brian 😀

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++