Main Menu

Meg 435 - Waugh In Hell

Started by The Enigmatic Dr X, 17 August, 2021, 10:07:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Enigmatic Dr X

Got my Meg, and there's no thread!

All a bit bland for me, but Angelic is fun and Waugh redeems it. Which, when you read it, is ironic... as hell.

So, what do we have:

DREDD

This feels a bit like one of those stories where there's a threat of retaliation from another city and then it fades away. I hope not, but I honestly don't know if it's over or not. That can't be a good thing. And there's a fight which could have been a bit more Stan-Lee but is very perfunctory. Jury is out on this. Which can't be good, when the same jury is judge and executioner. Art feels a bit rushed too, especially the last two pages.

DIAMOND DOGS

I feel this is too low key to grab my attention. It's a nice tale of Brit Cit's underbelly, and it's Dredd-world. But it's neither a high-octane thriller nor a character piece and suffers a bit for it.

ANGELIC

This is fun. Nice judge at the end; not sure if this is alternate world or origin story, but I likes it.

THE RETURNERS

I can't wait for this to end. It's confusing, random and seems to go nowhere. I can't tell the characters apart, the fact they were dead seems irrelevant, and for folks who have been through so much they are just too trusting. Haven't they seen any horror film ever?

DEVLIN WAUGH

This is the most fun thing in the Meg in ages. No spoilers, but the change in demeanour makes me think there is a Plan and I am enjoying it being unspooled. I look forward to seeing Devlin in hell - the mind boggles, dear boy!
Lock up your spoons!

The Enigmatic Dr X

Oops. The bold bit was meant to be a spoiler
Lock up your spoons!

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

broodblik

At least this meg was better than the last month's issue. Both Angelic and Devlin is carrying the meg currently.  The Dredd story did pick-up. The rest is ok.

Colin YNWA

Its not the best Meg BUT its wasn't that bad either. Not that bad at all. The Dredd was brisk and entertaining if not anything particularly new. solid. The Diamond Dogs just needs a re-run, there's a good story in there I'm sure. The Returners is great yes it feels like its bouncing everywhere, but that's part the joy, it roams around in a world of pure imagination and it has a strong story holding it all on a path. Artwise its a delight too. Angelic is a curious beast and while its at odds with what we know that's the fun and I really enjoyed this. Having a Judge as a baddy also makes great sense in the context of the series.

All of that is fine to good but DAMN Devlin Waugh is brilliant - just brilliant. Its a fantastic chilling thrill that has just twisted and turned the tension. Its scary and yet it also manages to raise a smile. And man Michael Dowling is just superb. What a thrill.

The other stuff is okay. Decent interviews, liked the one with Steve Roberts particularly. The Encyclopedia is something I will look through when its out to see how it hangs together when done.

IndigoPrime

Kot's Waugh has its detractors, but it's the sole Smith strip that I feel has really been done justice. It mixes up the action, the horror and the absurd of the Smith run. It feels like Devlin Waugh. Kek-W's Indigo Prime came close, but still felt a bit like an imitation rather than the real thing, not least when he rolled in other characters. And I haven't especially liked any other takes on Smith fare.

Beyond that, Angelic is an interesting retcon. Yes, it exists in what appears to be an entirely different take on that reality, but the story's solid. Everything else in the Meg was readable, although nothing really stood out in the same way as those two tales.

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Anybody else's Encyclopedia got a massive ink stain over the front left hand side and the back, covering most of the central text box?

SBT

DrJomster

Gorgeous art by Staz on Dredd. Very kinetic!
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

IndigoPrime

Proudhuff

I'd support all of the above comments, Devlin is top thrill just now, nothing else grabbing my attention in the Meg just now, as Dr X says not sure if Dredd has left the plot open for development or if that's it done, it would be a major game changer if the Justice Dept/ Meg One did have this tech.
DDT did a job on me

Sean SD

My Top 3 for Meg 435

Same order of top 3 thrills as last month:

1st - Angelic - more Cursed earth western action. Again love the silent panels in the storytelling

2nd - Devlin Waugh - Kot and Dowling and some hellish negotiations. Not a fan of the possessed dildo but the other scenes are top notch

3rd - Dredd - interested to see what happens next, it's not troubling my top two on this list but still enjoying it