Main Menu

This is the News!

Started by Funt Solo, 28 March, 2022, 05:16:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnW

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 25 October, 2022, 10:30:38 AM
Quote from: JWare on 25 October, 2022, 08:43:45 AMJoe Biden has hailed Sunak's appointment as a 'groundbreaking milestone'.
I'm not sure in what manner. Sunak's outlook is neoliberal and trickle-down, which Biden is against. He's more competent than his two predecessors, but still presided over "eat out to help out" and lost literal billions to fraud. In a normal world, he'd possibly end up as a junior minister. That he's PM yet again shows the dearth of talent in this iteration of the Conservative Party.

My point is purely linguistic. You don't want a milestone to break ground. You just want it to tell you how many miles it is to the next town.
Anyway, not my PM, not my president, so (I most fervently hope!) not my problem.
Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!

JayzusB.Christ

Nice to see Brazil in safer hands.  Not saying he's perfect of course but anyone is better than Trump Mark 2.  Sadly, I suspect January 6 Mark 2 is on the way too.

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Funt Solo

Real news continues to read like satire with the BBC headline "Shanghai Disney visitors trapped after lockdown" and lead-in text of "Rides are continuing to operate for those trapped inside The Happiest Place on Earth".

A couple of days ago the story was about some staff in an iphone factory jumping the fences to escape.

---

Bolsonaro made a bold political move by saying he'd happily eat indigenous people. He still won 49% of the vote, so suggesting cannibalism as a policy is not entirely political suicide. The world, it turns...
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

JayzusB.Christ

Well, I didn't know that - the guy's worse than I'd thought.  Who the feck is voting for these populist nutjobs?  I've been teaching Brazilians for years - they make up the majority of our students, for some reason - and I've only met one who admitted to liking Bolsonaro.  ('because he's honest' - translation 'because he's a self-serving bigot and so am I.')
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

nxylas

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 31 October, 2022, 07:50:43 PM
Well, I didn't know that - the guy's worse than I'd thought.  Who the feck is voting for these populist nutjobs?  I've been teaching Brazilians for years - they make up the majority of our students, for some reason - and I've only met one who admitted to liking Bolsonaro.  ('because he's honest' - translation 'because he's a self-serving bigot and so am I.')
There was footage yesterday of the police and military driving away voters with force in areas that favoured Lula. I suspect the margin of victory would have been a lot bigger in a free and fair election. The Republicans are trying the same thing in the US, sending armed "poll watchers" to intimidate voters.
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!

JayzusB.Christ

Things are far from perfect, of course, as better-informed boarders are about to tell me, and it's not over yet. But it's nice to see more Americans care about democracy than I'd thought.

Funt Solo

I'm with you - the expectations were that the "it's the economy, stupid" argument would allow the Trumpists to fart all over the Dems, but it turns out that the evangelical Supreme Court taking away women's rights to abortion (and, perhaps, the threat of Trump becoming the world's next Mussolini) prompted a lot of people to wake up and smell the voting coffee.

Thank fuck! Capitalist democracies are not perfect, by any stretch, but a fuck ton better than strong-man politics, authoritarianism or fascism. 
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

JayzusB.Christ

Probably being a bit over-optimistic here on the strength of the Democratic turnout, but maybe the inevitable clash of fragile egos between Trump and deSantis will weaken them both.   

sheridan

Is it not the same as the most extreme right-wing USAians (of which there are many)?  i.e. the ones you see outside the country of origin are the ones who are a little more open to outside experiences.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: sheridan on 11 November, 2022, 09:14:09 AM

Is it not the same as the most extreme right-wing USAians (of which there are many)?  i.e. the ones you see outside the country of origin are the ones who are a little more open to outside experiences.

Well, yes, of course, which is why many of them aren't in their home country any more. I used to wonder why there were so many LGBTQ Brazilians, and it took me an embarrassingly long time to realise that there are a huge number of LGBTQ Brazilians in Europe.

Funt Solo

Elon Musk tells Twitter staff to work long hours or leave

or

"My slaves have no rights, and need to agree to that, says world's richest sociopath".
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Funt Solo on 16 November, 2022, 06:09:40 PM

or

"My slaves have no rights, and need to agree to that, says world's richest sociopath".

He's really really bad at this, eh?

JayzusB.Christ

I think I'd probably take the red pill here, by which I mean the second option.

It's almost as if being rich and having a big mouth doesn't mean you're good at everything.

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Funt Solo

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 16 November, 2022, 06:22:19 PM
Quote from: Funt Solo on 16 November, 2022, 06:09:40 PM

or

He's really really bad at this, eh?

It made me think of those "How to know if your boss is a bully" type articles the BBC spaffs out on the poorly-titled Worklife section of its poorly-title News section.

- Do you work for Twitter?
- Then, your boss is a bully.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++