Main Menu

Rumours of A Love Like Blood

Started by Jonsheffield, 31 August, 2002, 05:54:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jonsheffield

I have heard and read many a rumour about a movie currently in pre-production with a synopsis very very similiar to a love like blood.  What i have heard is that Kate Beckinsale is to take the lead role as the werewolf that falls in love with the son of the vampire master.  Sounds exciting but why has no one said anything official whether confirming of denying this matter?

satchmo

Theres a trailer for Grand Theft Auto- Vice City on the Rockstar Games website,it looks amazing.This is the kind of game Dredd should be,not a first person shooter. The level of freedom in the game play is what makes GTA 3 so good,thats what the Big Meg deserves from a game..

John Caliber

Well, A Love Like Blood is hardly an original idea, so I doubt the storyline was culled from 2000AD alone - if at all.

The plot is a bit of a non-starter any way, with characters you can't sympathise with (Vampires and Werewolves? Oh my!).

On second thoughts, whose to say what sells in this nihilistic, sad old, world we are currently living in, where folk think vampires are romantic heroes and fantasise about slashing their neighbours with knives sellotaped to their wrists? Might be the number 1 box office smash in a couple of years ...

- TCC

Link: http://www.jdrpg.com/jdss" target="_blank">THE JUDGE DREDD STREET SIM

Author of CITY OF DREDD and WORLDS OF DREDD. https://www.facebook.com/groups/300109720054510/

The Amstor Computer

---The plot is a bit of a non-starter any way, with characters you can't sympathise with (Vampires and Werewolves? Oh my!)---

...And why can't you have sympathetic vampire/werewolf characters? It's been done with all sorts of unpleasant & downright immoral characters before now.
Films like American Werewolf in London & Ginger Snaps have managed to create sympathetic lycanthropes, and there've been dozens of similar characters in vampire fiction (vamps like Angel & Cassidy being the most recent and most relevant)

...and to be honest, I'd be more worried about the people who hero-worship real-life scum like the Krays ("dey luvved dere muvver...") than a bunch of goths who've read too much Anne Rice.

John Caliber

'Films like American Werewolf in London & Ginger Snaps have managed to create sympathetic lycanthropes, and there've been dozens of similar characters in vampire fiction (vamps like Angel & Cassidy being the most recent and most relevant)'

Not quite correct there - a vampire/werewolf love movie would not focus on the duality of being a monster, but the relationship between monsters. Not the same thing :) A Love Like Blood was populated by totally reprehensible creatures, both factions from muderous criminal families. Who really cares who lives or perishes in that story?

- TCC

Link: http://www.jdrpg.com/jdss" target="_blank">THE JUDGE DREDD STREET SIM

Author of CITY OF DREDD and WORLDS OF DREDD. https://www.facebook.com/groups/300109720054510/

DavidXBrunt

To paraphrase Terry Pratchett - The problem with any story with a vampire in the lead is that no matter how consumptive and romantic they look, to them we're the equivalant of cows. How can you expect to sympathise with somebody who is higher up the food chain than you? Do Rabbits write novels about romantic, pale, Byronic Ferrets?

almighty mat

++A Love Like Blood was populated by totally reprehensible creatures, both factions from muderous criminal families. Who really cares who lives or perishes in that story?++

Isn't that a bit like saying Who sympathises with the 2 feuding families in Romeo and Juliet, when you should be focussing on the 2 main characters who are actually breaking (some of) the rules of being a *monster*?

mat

Art

To paraphrase Terry Pratchett - The problem with any story with a vampire in the lead is that no matter how consumptive and romantic they look, to them we're the equivalant of cows. How can you expect to sympathise with somebody who is higher up the food chain than you? Do Rabbits write novels about romantic, pale, Byronic Ferrets?

Ah, but people DO romanticise the Royal Family, who are pretty much blood-sucking parasitic fiends who see us all as cattle...

JimBob

We'll have none of your republican nonsense round here sonny, move along now theres a good lad. tish, youth today.

Tu-plang

I sympashised with the characters of A Love Like Blood.  To a certaain degree.  The characterisation could have been spot on but it was just too damn short.  36 pages isn't enough to wrap up a good story, and it just jumped around from a relatively good first 3 episodes.  They escaped, were chased, found a hideout, got to know eachother, got her pregnant, and began the last stand all in one 5 page episode.  That's 5-6 weeks of story in one.  Does anyone know a good reason for this or was it just to do with Andy Diggle's self-atmittance of giving the green-light to half finished story-lines?  It would be really nice to have John Smith and Frazer do a nice deluxe Graphic Novel some day, addig about 50 pages :)

But we've been through that before.

Art

We'll have none of your republican nonsense round here sonny, move along now theres a good lad. tish, youth today.

How are we to know the reanimated corpse of the Queen Mum isn?t already Maternity Wards of this country, draining the blood of newborns to keep herself in a hellish state of un-death? They cover it up? they cover it all up. But eventually will all come out, they?re getting so arrogant that one day  they?ll have to slip up, do something so horrible everyone will have to notice?  Then the tabloid-dulled masses will turn against them and storm Buckingham Palace with sharpened stakes in their hands.

Oh yes, I?m looking forwards to THAT day, seeing them all strung up like the space-alien-reptile-vampire bastards they surely are.

almighty mat

++Oh yes, I'm looking forwards to THAT day, seeing them all strung up like the space-alien-reptile-vampire bastards they surely are.++

Wait a minute, if Synapse and Android were Scojo, is Arthur really David Icke? I was totally fooled for a minute...

mat

The Amstor Computer

Uhhh, before you get *too* smug (;-)), try re-reading what you wrote:

"The plot is a bit of a non-starter any way, with characters you can't sympathise with (Vampires and Werewolves? Oh my!)"

Maybe you meant it differently, but to me, that comes across as implying that vampires & werewolves would be inherently unsympathetic.

Anyway:

"A Love Like Blood was populated by totally reprehensible creatures, both factions from muderous criminal families. Who really cares who lives or perishes in that story?"

Who cares about murderous crime families? Hands up anyone here who watched The Godfather? Goodfellas? ;-)

Jim_Campbell

"Does anyone know a good reason for this or was it just to do with Andy Diggle's self-atmittance of giving the green-light to half finished story-lines?"

This came up on the NG back when the story was running - Mr Diggle was in his "rocket fuel story-telling" mode and had insisted that the story only ran to ... however many episodes it ran to ...

Smiffy said he desperately wanted at least two more episodes but couldn't sell the Diggler on it.

IIRC, of course. I can't be arsed to dredge through the Google archives to double-check, so apologies if I've misrepesented anyone!

Particularly ironic, though, was the revelation that Mr Smith had never actually heard the Killing Joke song from which the series took the title ...!

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Adrian Bamforth

Personally I think all these conspiracy theories are all invented by the same people in a room somewhere.

ADE