Main Menu

Meg 404 - Crystal Trips & Alien Stare

Started by Richard, 12 January, 2019, 01:39:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard

Wow. This is the best episode of Lawless ever. I can't say why without spoiling it, but you'll instantly know what I mean. Extraordinary stuff, and some of Dan Abnett's best work ever.

The Torture Garden is on form as ever, with interesting developments in the story, and of course beautiful art by Nick Percival. Does it finish next issue? Seems like a lot still has to happen before this wraps up. I've really enjoyed it and I'll miss it when it's finished. Hopefully Dave Hine can write something else for us soon.

I liked this month 's Judge Dredd although I'm not sure about the ending. [spoiler]I've had enough of these stories where some new character turns out to be the son of some deceased old character.[/spoiler]

There's a new Storm Warning, which I didn't expect and is a nice surprise.

I'll read Blunt tomorrow as I'm not really into it.

The floppy looks very interesting and I'm looking forward to reading it, but after the Meg and the prog I need to get out of bed now.

(Mind Wars will feature in Meg 408, which I'm happy with.)

Geoff

Lawless, which I've always liked, I now feel the love for, that pretty much everyone else on this forum does. This episode adds real weight to the story as told already. Masterful stuff. I thought it was going to end there, it felt like it to me...but there's more it seems... 

It's always great to see Tom Foster on the inks and the Storm Warning story seems solid enough. Shame about the colouring. For me it really detracts from the art.

Dredd sets up for a story to come and I'm not a fan of either Blunt or the Dark Judges so not a great Meg for me this month. The floppy looks good though.

Nick Percival

Quote from: Richard on 12 January, 2019, 01:39:54 PM

The Torture Garden is on form as ever, with interesting developments in the story, and of course beautiful art by Nick Percival. Does it finish next issue? Seems like a lot still has to happen before this wraps up.

Thanks - The Torture Garden is 10 parts long, so you're just half way through. More big changes to come (especially at the end of Part 6) - For folks that aren't keen on it - sorry - 5 more months of fun for you!

broodblik

Quote from: Nick Percival on 12 January, 2019, 03:16:19 PM

The Torture Garden is on form as ever, with interesting developments in the story, and of course beautiful art by Nick Percival. Does it finish next issue? Seems like a lot still has to happen before this wraps up.

Thanks - The Torture Garden is 10 parts long, so you're just half way through. More big changes to come (especially at the end of Part 6) - For folks that aren't keen on it - sorry - 5 more months of fun for you!

Keep up the awesome work just love your work on the Dark Judges
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Richard

Nick Percival

Quote from: broodblik on 12 January, 2019, 03:23:32 PM

Cheers, guys!

Freddychopper

Quote from: Nick Percival on 12 January, 2019, 03:53:15 PM
Quote from: broodblik on 12 January, 2019, 03:23:32 PM

Cheers, guys!
Excellent, Nick! Your work on Dominion (the book version was great) and Torture Garden is fantastic, Dripping in mood and atmosphere and you've made the Dark Judges your own and long may it continue after this series. My copy hasn't arrived yet but I hear there's a surprise at the end of this episode?!

M.I.K.

...and the award for the best laboured pun in a cover tagline goes to....

Tjm86

Not too sure about the Dredd but Lynch's art continues to improve which is a definite bonus.  My money is on genetic similarity rather than revival of the old foe but that remains to be seen.  Certainly Wyatt's choice raises the question of why the individual in question has evolved into such a major protagonist for Dredd, considering all those he has faced off against over the years.

Quite a jump for Lawless and the old questions about the ethics of MC1 raised.  A little jarring but it does work and avoids so many cliches.  Blunt on the other hand ... nope, sorry you've lost me.  Storm Warning starts off reasonably well but considering the last series I'm not too sure.  Definitely a watch this space sort of thing.

Torture Garden only at the half way mark you say?  Interesting then.  Hine has managed to make the DJ's disturbing more than anything else, probably the most appropriate direction to take them in.

Notwithstanding the printing error, it is nice to have something completely new for the floppy.  If the Meg is going to include reprints then introducing us to new material that we may have missed is a definite bonus, particularly considering the over saturation of reprints of some parts of tooth history.

Eamonn Clarke

Janelle "Dirty Computer" MonĂ¡e block features some "Pete Wells lives" graffiti.

IndigoPrime

Lawless: hard to know if this is a conclusion or a feint. If it's the former, it's a good way to go out; but with this, Blink and Kingdom winding up, it feels like 2000 AD comics are going to be a bit lacking in Abnett goodness, unless he's planning more strips to fill the void. (And, yeah, I know there's still Grey Area and Sin/Dex, but still.)

Richard

I wouldn't worry; someone that prolific will have some new story idea up his sleeve soon, if not already.

gameluvah

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 13 January, 2019, 07:59:28 PM
Lawless: hard to know if this is a conclusion or a feint. If it's the former, it's a good way to go out; but with this, Blink and Kingdom winding up, it feels like 2000 AD comics are going to be a bit lacking in Abnett goodness, unless he's planning more strips to fill the void. (And, yeah, I know there's still Grey Area and Sin/Dex, but still.)

Grey Area feels like it's moving toward its conclusion as well. I'm kind of worried.

Richard

Grey Area has had a number of conclusions and then started a new story.