Main Menu

Prog 2189 - Hunger Strike

Started by Colin YNWA, 06 July, 2020, 08:23:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 09 July, 2020, 07:52:53 PM
Can't help but wonder if this was rushed into the prog at the expense of build up, in order to meet production deadlines in lockdown. Tharg probably has a drawer full of mega epics in case a page is late.

Makes sense.  It's kind of lots of shit happening suddenly without much buildup and I'm not sure I care wnough about what's happening.  And yeah, where are those Brit Cit judges?  Brit Cit has suddenly become Manhattan in Halo Jones' world. 
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Richard

Why would Brit Cit judges be immune from the thing that killed the citizens and the Mega-City One judges who went to Brit Cit?

jabish

I have to agree with the Dredd comments too. The first episode I thought had a lot of promise (although I wasn't too enamoured with the crossover). But as it's gone on it's the lack of character. I find it very hard to care when people are just speaking in soundbites it seems. It's completely decompressed and a lot of style under which it seems there's a lack of substance. And there's a contrivance of plot at times where things happen that are meant to be cool rather than cool and make sense. The small house and the stories that lead into it suffered from a lot of that too. That art is stunning though. And Henry flint to come? It does help.

Havent a notion what's going on in The Order. John Burns though? That's enough for me.

I'm really enjoying Full Tilt Boogie. It feels like something new for the prog and looks terrific.

Diaboliks is good fun and I'm glad I did a reread of Caballistics & Absalom recently. This is 60s/70s international occult action movie time. Good craic.

Love The Out too. Abnett has been knocking it out of the park for a while now. Things like this keep my subscription going.

Just my two cents JB

broodblik

One thing I have noticed or rather how it feels is that the Dredd story is very much structured like the classic epics The Cursed Earth and The Judge Child. It contains smaller stories making up the bigger story and not one big event.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

norton canes

Re. End Of Days, I suppose it is a bit weird that a story with such enormous global consequences is rattling along at such a pace that a lot of the bigger picture has been foregone. I'm not generally super bothered about a lack of preamble for epic stories but perhaps, yes, there could have been, say, four one-shots about the genesis of each catastrophe. Although let's face it, the first adversary in these series is usually the most perfunctory. I'm sure there'll be more depth at the sharp end of the tale.

(and the cover... see, without intending any slight to Tharg's talented cadre of cover artists, this is why I like to see covers illustrated by the strip's artist. That way it feels like the story is getting an extra page, and a chance for the droid to give an extra perspective on the action.)

Dan Abnett has once again slipped into that apparently effortless mode of constructing eminently readable dialogue. I'd love to be there while he writes this stuff - I'm sure he's the sort of droid that acts out every conversation, either in a mirror, or turning to face an imaginary camera. He probably even does the voices. Full Tilt Boogie continues to be great but is perhaps missing some of the concentrated bizarreness of the Regen opener. In fact, this and The Order are the two current strips that would read best in one sitting.

Diaboliks, though, once again demonstrates Gordon Rennie's knack for making his stories brilliant serials constructed from satisfying episodes in their own right. This time we get a nice callback to last week's diary pages, a superb story-in-a-story and the first glimpse of an impressive new villain and for that, the strip gets this week's TOP THRILL.

After 43 years, I must get round to writing Tharg a letter. 

Leigh S

Tordelbakc summed up my feelings on Dredd but:

Quote from: broodblik on 10 July, 2020, 11:52:14 AM
One thing I have noticed or rather how it feels is that the Dredd story is very much structured like the classic epics The Cursed Earth and The Judge Child. It contains smaller stories making up the bigger story and not one big event.

I think the problem is also partly this very thing - it is structured like those "episodic" Epics, but rather than the episodes being smaller chunks of a bigger threat/tale, the "scale" of each episode is set to 11, so there's a disconnect there where the Scale of the threat is set to huge, but it is dealt with like it was Dredd fighting some flying rats or an alien salesman?

DrJomster

I hadn't twigged about Antonio Fuso until I read this thread! Similar styles indeed. I wonder who we'll see next week? Great thrill and very glad to have this world back in the prog.

Full Tilt Boogie is really coming along, not to mention The Out which is starting to fly very nicely.

Now with Dredd, I'm interested to see where we go next. It's a tricky business, when you go straight into the end of days so to speak. How to balance the build of the story, with presumably upping the ante after the first big bad... not easy. Intrigued to see how it goes. Great art.

Loving the sheer mix of stories and art. Can't beat an anthology, you know!
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

Magnetica

Just caught up on the last few weeks, so this is really a review of that than this particular Prog.

Dredd- this has got to be one of the weirdest tales ever. Really not liking the stomach creatures at all.

FTB is way better than I could have imagined it would be. And it makes the Regened episode seem way better too. At the time it seemed all a bit "so what?". Now it seems like a great set up episode.

I think The Order has definitely benefited from being read in one go. I think I am understanding it and I even seem to have understood more from previous series than I thought.

The Out. It's kinda Halo Jones meets a view of where the aliens in Grey Area are from.

Diaboliks. Great stuff.