Main Menu

Thought Police: Are we allowed to query 'woke'?

Started by Tjm86, 24 September, 2020, 08:01:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Funt Solo

Dilbert comic strip dropped by US media over creator's racist tirade

Surely this is just the prelude to a witty, urbane rejoinder in the third panel? No?

"And for this, they call me racist!" complains man who was just terribly racist.

See also: Roger Waters sticking his tongue down the back of Putin's trousers live at the UN.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

M.I.K.

I've never understood the apparent popularity of Dilbert anyway. I've never found it even remotely funny.

Quote from: M.I.K. on 14 November, 2008, 06:02:51 PMWhat I cannot understand is the apparent popularity of Dilbert. I don't find it even remotely funny.

See?

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Fate Amenable to Change on 27 February, 2023, 01:30:50 AMDilbert comic strip dropped by US media over creator's racist tirade

Surely this is just the prelude to a witty, urbane rejoinder in the third panel? No?

"And for this, they call me racist!" complains man who was just terribly racist.

See also: Roger Waters sticking his tongue down the back of Putin's trousers live at the UN.

Adams has been an out and out racist for years - I'm only surprised that it's taken this long. Waters though, man he has really gone off the deep end. Sad to see.

JohnW

I liked the Dilbert strip well enough, but then I read one of Scott Adams's amusing pieces on corporate America that unaccountably drifted into a promotion of magical thinking.
I backed away in confusion.
Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!

IndigoPrime

I quite liked it when I was working in that environment, at the end of the 1990s. I read a couple of his books, though, one of which I though was quite good – but that in hindsight is very white-guy entitlement thinking – and one of which was... not.

The strip itself, though, increasingly started coming across as corporate Garfield, and I got bored with it. Then when I realised what Adams was like, I actively avoided it for the most part. I read a few recent strips today, though. And, well, yikes. It's like if Elon Musk decided to create a newspaper cartoon strip.

Funt Solo

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 27 February, 2023, 01:28:39 PMIt's like if Elon Musk decided to create a newspaper cartoon strip.

And so you won't be surprised that Musk is defending Racist-Dilbert by the cunning trick of calling everyone else racist for noticing the racism.

He's clearly played The Secret of Monkey Island and is employing the "I am rubber, you are glue, bounce off me, stick to you" debate tactic.

This would all be laughable if Musk wasn't the owner of perhaps the biggest magaphone (sic) on the planet.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

IndigoPrime

Albeit one that's losing influence by the day. And with all the cuts he's making, something big is going to break at some point.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 27 February, 2023, 08:15:35 PMAlbeit one that's losing influence by the day. And with all the cuts he's making, something big is going to break at some point.

His face, if I ever met him.  (Note: I am joking and would not break anyone's face, even that of a giant gobshite like Musk. Also for a lot of my adult life I thought 'Albeit' was pronounced a bit like 'Albert'.)
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Funt Solo

Interview with Oklahoma State Sen. Nathan Dahm | The Problem with Jon Stewart

This interview is Jon Stewart talking truth to power about the collective madness of US gun rights legislation (or the lack thereof), but managing to bring in the recent Tennessee anti-drag law.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Fate Amenable to Change on 06 March, 2023, 10:59:50 PMInterview with Oklahoma State Sen. Nathan Dahm | The Problem with Jon Stewart

This interview is Jon Stewart talking truth to power about the collective madness of US gun rights legislation (or the lack thereof), but managing to bring in the recent Tennessee anti-drag law.

Man,Jon Stewart is good.

AlexF

At the risk of getting serious, here's the link to a post about how American Universities are attempting to grapple with woke:
https://betonit.substack.com/p/statement-of-commitment-to-academic?utm_source=cross-post&publication_id=820634&post_id=106794346&isFreemail=true&utm_campaign=835046&utm_medium=email

It's meant to be about protecting diversity of argument and opinion, which is obviously a good thing, but noteable that in the preamble the author specifically calls out 'the woke left' as being the ones who are causing universities to become more homogenous in thought and deed and word.

I also highly recommend 'Origin Story' - a podcast with 2000AD fan and liberal champion Ian Dunt - who have a good epsiode talking about 'woke':

Funt Solo

Thanks for that podcast link. My usual reading of people using the word "woke" goes like this:

1. Are they being nice to their fellow humans? Then they're probably nice people.
2. Are they being shit-heels? Then they're probably shit-heels.

Shit-heels also covers smart shit-heels who try to cover their hatred up with innocent sounding things like a desire for balance - but (as with your first example link) can't quite help themselves from frothing about "the left". This (naturally) exposes their inherent bias. It's not "wokeness" that offends them - it's anything they disagree with, which they bundle in as "leftism". The genuine complaint in the first case is about affirmative action - they just don't want to say that's what it's about.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

AlexF

I hadn't even spotted the between-the-lines thing about affirmative action but you're totally right.
Shit-heels, man, we need to clean them up.

IndigoPrime

Looks like the Tories have moved on from woke though. Anyone they don't agree with is now a dehumanised blob.