Main Menu

Superman: Man Of Steel (2013)

Started by Goaty, 04 August, 2011, 02:51:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOE SOAP

Quote from: radiator on 18 June, 2013, 12:54:47 PM
QuoteExcept Nolan & Co. says they're not:

I think they don't... unless DC/Warners decides at a later date they do.

They'd be tying themselves in knots trying to make a story that's ended, inclusive. There's no value in that unless Christian Bale did a Lazarus. It'll be easier just to reboot through the Superman sequels; it also means they can re-boot Two-Face and the Joker without the baggage of being dead in the fictional and real worlds.

JamesC

haven't seen this film yet but you lot are really putting me off. Sounds a bit crap!

Link Prime

JamesC

Quote from: Link Prime on 18 June, 2013, 01:24:03 PM
Quote from: JamesC on 18 June, 2013, 01:22:08 PM
Sounds a bit crap!

Regrettably, It is.

Oh well.

One day somebody will make the Captain Marvel / Shazam movie I've always wanted to see.

And then they'll make the sequel with the whole Marvel family!

Recrewt

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 18 June, 2013, 12:59:32 PM

They'd be tying themselves in knots trying to make a story that's ended, inclusive. There's no value in that unless Christian Bale did a Lazarus. It'll be easier just to reboot through the Superman sequels; it also means they can re-boot Two-Face and the Joker without the baggage of being dead in the fictional and real worlds.

They wrote themselves in a corner with the last Batman film so no-one is really expecting to see Christian Bale in the JLA movie.  But that's not too big an issue - they managed to work around this with the Hulk in the Avengers movie and I don't see why they can't do the same with Batman, especially as he could spend most of his time masked (ignoring the recent New 52 league where he struggles to keep it on!). 

I would have thought Mr Cavill would be appearing in it though and so far it seems the Superman movies are pitched with the same tone as the Dark Knight's have been.   

radiator

Depends on what you want from it - it seems to be going down very well with the fanboy audience. If you didn't like the Nolan Batman films forget about it.

Professor Bear

Haha - copying what's been done in the Avengers movie?  I think Warner Bros have too much creative integrity and dignity to make a grab for sloppy-seconds cash, Joe!

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 18 June, 2013, 12:59:32 PM

I think you might be giving a bit too much credit, there.  The Nolan bat-flicks made billions, while any new version of the character would end up being some kind of a gamble even if the creative pedigree was top-notch - it might seem like a bad idea to us as consumers and fans, but for producers Nolan Batman and Snyder Superman together in the same film has got to seem like no-brainer maths.  Even if it was utterly terrible it would make a fuckton of cash, and I think we can agree that they wouldn't care if it was terrible as long as it made a fuckton of cash, nor would they care very much if it contradicted anything about what went before if neck-crackin' Supes is any indicator.  I suspect for a few years money will be thrown at the relevant parties to see if they'll go for it, but if we do get a clean break it will only be because all other options have been exhausted.

My personal hope is that with Superman now being the grim and gritty character, we see a relaunched Batman in the style of the Brave and the Bold, a colourful, camp and fun adventurer followed around by a guy with bongo drums as a contrast to the neck-snapping invincible demigod from space that answers to no man or Earthly law who for some reason is not completely terrifying.

radiator

QuoteI think you might be giving a bit too much credit, there.  The Nolan bat-flicks made billions, while any new version of the character would end up being some kind of a gamble even if the creative pedigree was top-notch - it might seem like a bad idea to us as consumers and fans, but for producers Nolan Batman and Snyder Superman together in the same film has got to seem like no-brainer maths.  Even if it was utterly terrible it would make a fuckton of cash, and I think we can agree that they wouldn't care if it was terrible as long as it made a fuckton of cash, nor would they care very much if it contradicted anything about what went before if neck-crackin' Supes is any indicator.  I suspect for a few years money will be thrown at the relevant parties to see if they'll go for it, but if we do get a clean break it will only be because all other options have been exhausted.

That was the point I was making. It makes no sense to do a Watchmen prequel, but they did one because money.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Recrewt on 18 June, 2013, 01:33:36 PM

They wrote themselves in a corner with the last Batman film so no-one is really expecting to see Christian Bale in the JLA movie.  But that's not too big an issue - they managed to work around this with the Hulk in the Avengers movie and I don't see why they can't do the same with Batman, especially as he could spend most of his time masked (ignoring the recent New 52 league where he struggles to keep it on!

But they don't need to and they'd be further creating problems and limiting themselves by trying to. Millions still paid to see Spider-Man even though it's a straight reboot so there's no worry with people giving money for old-rope. Much in line with the multiple character reboots that occur in comics every few years; geeks still buy 'em.

Quote from: Recrewt on 18 June, 2013, 01:33:36 PM
I would have thought Mr Cavill would be appearing in it though and so far it seems the Superman movies are pitched with the same tone as the Dark Knight's have been.

I suspect a lot of that has to do with differentiating the tone from Marvel films, and it's the same writer.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: radiator on 18 June, 2013, 01:46:07 PM
That was the point I was making. It makes no sense to do a Watchmen prequel, but they did one because money.

I don't think Before Watchmen made much money for DC.

JamesC

Professor Bear

There were tons of unsold copies every time I went into Forbidden Planet - and I don't mean they had the odd issues, I mean there was at least 7 or 8 copies of every issue of every series DC put out.

Probably made money for the scabs who worked on it, though.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Professor James T Bear on 18 June, 2013, 01:37:13 PM
Haha - copying what's been done in the Avengers movie?  I think Warner Bros have too much creative integrity and dignity to make a grab for sloppy-seconds cash, Joe!

I think you might be giving a bit too much credit, there.  The Nolan bat-flicks made billions, while any new version of the character would end up being some kind of a gamble even if the creative pedigree was top-notch - it might seem like a bad idea to us as consumers and fans, but for producers Nolan Batman and Snyder Superman together in the same film has got to seem like no-brainer maths.

I don't feel they need to think that hard about it or bribe so hard either. Another rebooted Batman film will make money, regardless. I'm sure there's enough bravado and 'creative' hubris now at Warners after Superman's windfall to do what they want without the need for them to shell out large amounts of leverage and buy-out money to Bale or Nolan. They got Cavill; they can now get a younger, more pliable and cheaper Batman. That part of the Marvel Method they will be adopting.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: JamesC on 18 June, 2013, 02:00:36 PM
I bet it did!

With the huge sales drop-off; DC are set to cancel it.

Link Prime

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 18 June, 2013, 02:14:28 PM

Quote from: JamesC on 18 June, 2013, 02:00:36 PM
I bet it did!

With the huge sales drop-off; DC are set to cancel it.

It finished a few months ago BTW.
I may have been the only person on Earth to buy them all.  :'(