Main Menu

Superman: Man Of Steel (2013)

Started by Goaty, 04 August, 2011, 02:51:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Link Prime on 18 June, 2013, 02:28:32 PM
It finished a few months ago BTW.
I may have been the only person on Earth to buy them all.  :'(

And no Epilogue ever arrived. That's fan-service.

Jimmy Baker's Assistant

Quote from: Professor James T Bear on 18 June, 2013, 01:37:13 PM
Haha - copying what's been done in the Avengers movie?  I think Warner Bros have too much creative integrity and dignity to make a grab for sloppy-seconds cash, Joe!

I think Warners would put Daffy Duck in the JLA movie if they thought it would increase profits by a dime, but I may be listening to Alan Moore too much.

blackmocco

SPOILER ALERT if you go in here:

[spoiler]http://comicbook.com/blog/2013/06/17/man-of-steel-christopher-nolan-opposed-the-ending-dc-comics-advised-on-it/[/spoiler]

Interesting and as I suspected: Snyder doesn't really understand, or worse - isn't interested in understanding, what makes these characters work.
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

TordelBack

Quote from: Link Prime on 18 June, 2013, 02:28:32 PM
It finished a few months ago BTW.

The end, Link Prime? Nothing ends.

Professor Bear

Quote from: blackmocco on 18 June, 2013, 03:32:08 PMInteresting and as I suspected: Snyder doesn't really understand, or worse - isn't interested in understanding, what makes these characters work.

My favorite bit was:

Quote"And the why of it was, for me, that if it's truly an origin story, his aversion to killing is unexplained."

I don't even...
He is seriously saying that it needs to be explained why someone would think taking a life is wrong.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Professor James T Bear on 18 June, 2013, 04:18:05 PM
He is seriously saying that it needs to be explained why someone would think taking a life is wrong.

Pretty much confirms my opinion that the man's a fucking idiot. He should run a major comic publishing company — he's wasted in Hollywood.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Hawkmumbler

On Nolan and Snyder:
QuoteThe godfather of gritty, realistic superhero films was apparently not willing to go quite as far with perceived changes to Superman's character as was the Watchmen director.

Oh fuck me.

von Boom

Quote from: Professor James T Bear on 18 June, 2013, 04:18:05 PM

My favorite bit was:

Quote"And the why of it was, for me, that if it's truly an origin story, his aversion to killing is unexplained."

I don't even...

Unexplained?! The man's a prize eejit.

Clark was raised by Martha and Jonathan Kent. Good, God fearing, middle American people. You think they didn't take Clark to church (which is odd for a character created by a couple of Jewish teens when you think about it).

JOE SOAP

Richmond Clements

It was a bit of a mess really.
There were some incredible scenes in it. Some brilliant action that had some real weight to the blows, and some very good casting.
Soundtrack was brilliant.
And the [spoiler]final scene[/spoiler] was, as Radiator says, pitch perfect with some cracking dialogue.

But...
The level of destruction was just idiotic. Sections of Metropolis reduced, literally, [spoiler]to powder and ash[/spoiler]? How many [spoiler]skyscrapers fell over[/spoiler]? 
This was (IMO) one of the times they got the character wrong - Superman would have flown away and taken the fight out of the city so as not to endanger any innocent members of the public.
But the most egregious scene is, as mentioned above, [spoiler]Killing Zod[/spoiler].
Just... no. [spoiler]This is the opposite of what Kal-el is all about. He's about control, mercy, compassion. He's about being able to kill with impunity but not doing it because not killing is the right thing to do.
I thought the scene - oh and the Superman/Zod fight was not required at all - was exciting as I was trying to figure out how Superman was going to stop Zod... then he just killed him... Just no.[/spoiler]

And please, 9/11, yeah we get it, it was a Bad Thing... but maybe slightly less heavy on the metaphors, please?

Michaelvk

You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..

radiator

QuoteSome brilliant action that had some real weight to the blows

Really? I may be forgetting - as there's so damn many of them and they all start to blur into one - but most of the fight scenes seemed very cgi-heavy, videogamey and weightless to me.

I think because it's turned up to 11 the entire film, you lose that aspect of being able to relate to what you're seeing on screen. The original film built things up slowly, first showing you Supes as a young child lifting a car, then showing him running alongside the train. We can buy into these things because we know how heavy a car is, we know how fast a train is. It grounds things so that we're not initally asked to suspend disbelief too far, and we're then able to go with the film later on when we see the full extent of his powers - and even then it doesn't go too over the top - we're always given a civilian perspective.

When you just cut straight to someone doing crazy shit like [spoiler]holding up a cgi oil rig or covered in cgi flames[/spoiler]... not so much. It all just kind of washes over you. There's no context or contrast. It all ties into the main flaw of the movie in my opinion - it just doesn't work as a film unless the audience have already seen a Superman film, which lends it an unsatisfying feel as a whole and is poor filmmaking as far as I'm concerned.

JamesC

Quote from: radiator on 21 June, 2013, 11:52:11 AM
QuoteSome brilliant action that had some real weight to the blows

It grounds things so that we're not initally asked to suspend disbelief too far, and we're then able to go with the film later on when we see the full extent of his powers - and even then it doesn't go too over the top - we're always given a civilian perspective.

Apart from when he flies around the Earth backwards and rewinds time!

All of the Reeve era Superman films have some really ridiculous, over the top and ludicrous moments and on top of that the powers are really poorly defined.

Rewinding time? Splitting into two versions of yourself? Erasing Lois Lane's memory (which is a bit ethically dubious to say the least)?

The thing is, these films get away with it because the human relationships are so well portrayed and they are undeniably charming.

Their portrayal of black characters leaves something to be desired though!

radiator

Yeah, was going to say about the rewinding time thing. Tbh I only really like the first hour or so of the first Donner movie, much like MoS, it goes a bit funky after that but for very different reasons.

It also helps that the original films have a far lighter tone, they have a very mythical, timeless quality to them and aren't really striving for realism. The makers of this new one were always on a hiding to nothing trying to make Superman gritty and even slightly realistic.

QuoteThe thing is, these films get away with it because the human relationships are so well portrayed and they are undeniably charming.

Very true. It's very sad that so many people dismiss things like poorly-defined characters and gaping narrative and logical problems as 'minor problems' with modern films. "Yeah, the script was bad, but it was still a great movie!" etc etc. All the effects wizardry in the world can only ever add a bit of spectacle to a great story as far I'm concerned - they are not the main attraction! It speaks to the quality of a film like Jurassic Park - ostensibly a movie about dinosaurs and special effects - that most people could still name all the characters and identify them solely by their costumes 20 years later. Now that's what I call a blockbuster!

von Boom

For me the most telling thing about MoS is that I have no intentions of seeing it again in the cinema or purchasing it on blu-ray (at least not until it hits the bargain bins). It really doesn't warrant multiple viewings. Unlike Dredd.