Main Menu

Wacom Advice

Started by radiator, 01 December, 2014, 07:15:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

radiator

I'm thinking about investing in a new Wacom, as the one I currently have (an Intuous4 Large) is just too big and unwieldy for my current desk space to use comfortably, and I also want the wireless capability to reduce clutter.

The 'small' (either Intuous5 or 'Pro') would be perfect size-wise, but I'm concerned it might be too small, considering I use a 27" monitor.

Ideally I'd be able to try it out myself, but failing that does anyone here have any hands-on experience of using smaller tablets on a large screen?

Jon

Probably depends what you're used to, and anything new can take a little time to adapt to, but I tended to go for smaller models in the past and used the Intuos A5 equivalent with a couple of 24" monitors happily enough for around a decade or something.

radiator

Cool, thanks.

I'm sure I could adapt, was just wondering if general accuracy might suffer?

It just occurred to me that I can adjust the active space on my current model to an equivalent size of the small to get an idea of how it handles.

Jon

I think because you (at least I) tend to work on variously scaled versions of artwork, I've never found accuracy to be a problem.

But that sounds like a great idea. Maybe stick with it for a week. When I went from Intuos to Cintiq, and despite having a background in traditional media, I found the change surprisingly jarring at first.

radiator

I wish they'd offer a stripped-down version without all the touch panels and all that other bobbins so they could reduce the footprint of the thing.

I know that stuff is useful for some people, but surely anyone using an art package at an advanced level will need to use the keyboard shortcuts anyway?

IndigoPrime

I guess it depends what you use it for. However, I have a 27-inch iMac and have long used A6 Graphires. I use it instead of a mouse for a pointing device, because I otherwise get RSI. Accuracy doesn't seem to be a problem.

radiator

Oh yeah, the Wacom is my primary input device - never use a mouse for anything if I can possibly avoid it. I only have one paired up at all for those times when the Wacom starts playing up.

amines2058

Well my first and only tablet is the Wacom Bamboo, which has an A5ish input area but a relatively small footprint (I think) otherwise never used anything else to compare but find no issue with this smaller area.
As long as you are savvy with the key board shortcuts for zoom etc then accuracy does not suffer with the smaller area. I do hanker for a cintiq 13 / 24hd though!
Also saw something called the monoprice this morning in a post on facebook that Simon Frazer was commenting on. this appears to be a 19" equivalent of the Cintiq's but currently only $250!! Even Frenden reviews it favourably on his blog.
Info here:
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=113&cp_id=11314&cs_id=1131401&p_id=10707&seq=1&format=2