Main Menu

What are these classic one-shot stories (Prog related)?

Started by Batman's Superior Cousin, 07 April, 2020, 11:27:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Batman's Superior Cousin

Sorry about this, but this whole lockdown business has got me thinking about some old (and classic) stories that I've read in the comic throughout the past 15-odd years that I would now like to re-discover

1) Robbie Morrison pre-Nikolai Dante tale that I've read in one of the floppies about an alien race which tricks four other alien races into annihilation.

2) Sprout's story about Hitler and Eva Braun going back in time to repopulate the Earth.

3) A Future Shock(?) story about Humanity making First Contact with a race of alien super-Gods and then using some sort of nerve agent to wipe them all out.

4) Another Future Shock(?) story about a race of humanoid women that kidnap a Human man to mate with him, to which he instantly agrees upon, only for him to discover that they're not who they seem.
I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

Funt Solo

Quote from: Batman's Superior Cousin on 07 April, 2020, 11:27:04 PM
1) Robbie Morrison pre-Nikolai Dante tale that I've read in one of the floppies about an alien race which tricks four other alien races into annihilation.

Pulp Sci-Fi, War of Words - prog 1159, reprinted in Meg 296's floppy.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Funt Solo

2) Sprout's story about Hitler and Eva Braun going back in time to repopulate the Earth.

Tharg's Time Twisters, Back to the Fuhrer - prog 1566.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Funt Solo

4) Another Future Shock(?) story about a race of humanoid women that kidnap a Human man to mate with him, to which he instantly agrees upon, only for him to discover that they're not who they seem.

I don't know this one, but it reminds me of:

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

pauljholden

I remember sitting by Tharg's shoulder as a bloke basically pitched this same idea (but without the humour or charm or, indeed, plot). You could tell Tharg was gonna hit the polystyrene cups pretty hard that night.

Tjm86

Prog 1285

"Mars Needs Mates"  W:  Gordon Rennie.  A:  Frazer Irving.  L: Annie Parkhouse

Not titled as a FS, rather as a standalone.  Similar in vein to "Reefer Madness" which was around the same time.

Batman's Superior Cousin

1) Pulp Sci-Fi, War of Words - prog 1159, reprinted in Meg 296's floppy.

2) Tharg's Time Twisters, Back to the Fuhrer - prog 1566.

3) ???

4) "Mars Needs Mates"  W:  Gordon Rennie.  A:  Frazer Irving.  L: Annie Parkhouse
I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

Richard

I think 3 might be Gifts of the Magi in prog 1499 but I'm too lazy/tired to check.

Funt Solo

Yeah - that's the one, I reckon. The "aliens" just look like human superheroes: and all have superhero powers.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Richard

It's actually one of my favourite one-off stories ever, because I was so taken aback by the sheer jealousy, resentment, bitterness and all-round shittyness of the humans displayed at the end of that story. It was a very 2000AD moment.

Bolt-01

'Back to the Fuhrer' - I'd forgotten that pun. Genius work for a first timer.

#applause.
#PraiseTharg.

Colin YNWA

As it goes just read 'Gifts of the Magi' in my Prog Slog (self absorbed) and its a fun and perfectly servicable Future Shock.

Batman's Superior Cousin

Sorry for the delay / necropost everyone, but I've been a little bit busy of late!!

Here are the answers if anybody is still wondering. Thanks Funt Solo, Tjm86 and Richard for helping me with titles and issue numbers, it meant a lot to me.

1) War of Words, Pulp Sci-Fi - Prog 1159, reprinted in Meg 296's floppy

2) Back to the Fuhrer, Tharg's Time Twisters - Prog 1566

3) Gifts of the Magi - Prog 1499

4) Mars Needs Mates - Prog 1285
Texts from Last Night