Main Menu

Prog 1697 - Card Sharks!

Started by worldshown, 07 August, 2010, 08:51:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keef Monkey

Quote from: Jared Katooie on 11 August, 2010, 07:09:59 PM
I think it's a reference to the previous episode, when he freaked out after someone tried to buy his watch.

I think you might be right. Definitely.

Mardroid

Cover- Really good. Although Croak wasn't gunning for the lads specifically, they were certainly on Hosannah's side. I love the style and composition.

Droid Life: I find these variable, but this one really made me chuckle.

Dredd:  Decent end. This story has been pretty linear*, but that's not a bad thing. We don't need twisty stories all the time. Very good, and fair enough the perp's origin remains a mystery. (*[spoiler]Actually that's not strictly true. There is a twist in that the alien got to generate his own emotions... but then it was too later for him to enjoy them long. Hyuk, Hyuk![/spoiler]). Good old fashioned story well told with great art.

Red Seas: I found it a bit difficult working what was going on with the shooting etc, but it was an okay episode overall. Lots of action (pretty much standard for this prog all round!)

Sinister Dexter: Wow! Really takes off this episode doesn't it! This was expected, but it was great when it happened. Had some laughs too, mainly Poly Alloy's comments...

Savage: Decent! I'm a little lost at who's who though, but it's good.

Strontium Dog: After all the excitement we're back to the slower pace. I can't help thinking they found Feral's skimmer a bit too quickly but maybe the Stone Wizards intended that. Much as I wasn't keen on Feral's demise last episode I'm really enjoying this story and it's keeping me intrigued. Great art too. I'm amused at how Precious keeps changing her hair colour to match her costume. I'm easily amused.

Back Cover: Is that guy in the middle modelled on Charlton Heston? There are sassy ladies on that cover.

Jared Katooie

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 11 August, 2010, 07:34:17 PM
Quote from: Jared Katooie on 11 August, 2010, 07:09:59 PM
I think it's a reference to the previous episode, when he freaked out after someone tried to buy his watch.

I think you might be right. Definitely.

How I love to hear those words.

Apparently!  :o

Colin YNWA

Well back home after a break and have the Prog at last.

All hell broke loose in last weeks Prog (or was about to) and so this weeks carries on much as expected. While fun it loses a little for all the action. Dredd I felt was an ending by the numbers. Solid ok stuff but a bit of a disappointment after last weeks great episode. 'Red Seas' looked great but isn't as much fun, though the battle was portrayed well and there was a real sense of the movement on the ship. Good fun. 'Sinister Dexter' lost a little in the blaze of combat. Still a riot but not the exceptional stuff we've had up to now. 'Savage'... I'm repeating myself here was good action fun. The end was a nice little cliffhanger mind.

So with all this high octane stuff 'Strontium Dog' really stood out as the calm, well at the end of the storm really (being an in order reader). The great character moments really put into the spotlight by all the explosions elsewhere in the Prog. Wonderful stuff.

Good Prog.

Emperor

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 09 August, 2010, 11:09:43 AM
Quote from: Dandontdare on 09 August, 2010, 10:18:37 AM
(p.s. - I'm not nautically inclined - is there such a direction as "larboard"?)

Larboard is an archaic term for Port, presumably scrapped for sounding too similar to Starboard.

And lardboard, which is the postprandial snack you bring out if you've polished off the cheeseboard and want another hit of congealed fat. Much enjoyed by pirates I believe but, then again, so was mandatory grog and buggery (and the grog + the lard probably made the buggery easier), neither of which turn up as often as they should in The Red Seas - I'm starting to think they bain't be proper pirates at all.

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 11 August, 2010, 06:52:12 PM
Quote from: Roger Godpleton on 10 August, 2010, 11:46:25 PM
Savage: More spurt, less blurt is what we are given to our relief. What's all that gold watch stuff about though? Stellar art. Good Stuff.

I might be wrong but I think it might be a callback to something someone might have said about that character during his introduction 39 episodes ago. Damn my memory.

Ah nuts - I thought it was an allusion to a retirement gift, because you are unlikely ever to retire fighting Volgs. However, skimming back all the way to start of this story I discover that his dayjob is indeed driving a steam roller (or non-steam alternative) over fake designer watches. Clearly uncle Pat rewards the careful reader, who has been taking notes and has a chart of post-its on the wall to track all the characters. Plus knowing Pat he went for the double-meaning so we are both right ;)
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

vzzbux

Sin/Dex. Same images on the secam screens as in the first episode. Hmmmmmm.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

PsychoGoatee

Very good prog!

Solid finish to that Dredd story, I liked it. As for did it need 3 installments, well that's still shorter than a one-shot monthly comic at 18 pages. So I'd say yes, I always like to encourage 2000 AD stories to go long.

Sinister Dexter is a favorite of mine, always glad to see those guys. Keep 'em coming, as often as possible.

And needless to say, Strontium Dog is must read. This current storyline is very ballsy, and personally I hope Johnny Alpha is back with an eyepatch and some robotic limbs. :D

To throw some criticism into the mix, Red Seas art seemed less detailed than it's been in the past. I prefer the more heavily detailed black-and-white look of Savage.

Keef Monkey

Quote from: PsychoGoatee on 17 August, 2010, 06:50:58 AM
To throw some criticism into the mix, Red Seas art seemed less detailed than it's been in the past. I prefer the more heavily detailed black-and-white look of Savage.

I've noticed that myself lately, its always been pretty sparse but lately I've been having a bit of trouble following what's going on and I think it's because I'm not getting much perspective from the art. Its still nice to look at mind.

TordelBack

As of the first page of this week's Sinister Dexter I officially have a man-crush on Dan Abnett.  The greatest pun ever, from the greatest punster ever.  Let's run away together Dan.

Emperor

Quote from: TordelBack on 17 August, 2010, 03:21:18 PM
As of the first page of this week's Sinister Dexter I officially have a man-crush on Dan Abnett.  The greatest pun ever, from the greatest punster ever.  Let's run away together Dan.

Somewhere in the Abnett workmill the primary clone assigns on of the new batch to the most arduous task yet...
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

House of Usher

Quote from: PsychoGoatee on 17 August, 2010, 06:50:58 AM
I hope Johnny Alpha is back with an eyepatch and some robotic limbs.

Johnny Alpha's new eyepatch:

STRIKE !!!

I, Cosh

Quote from: House of Usher on 17 August, 2010, 04:30:00 PM
The patch is fine, but having him black up is a bit contentious.
We never really die.

Mardroid

Quote from: The Cosh on 17 August, 2010, 05:37:44 PM
Quote from: House of Usher on 17 August, 2010, 04:30:00 PM
The patch is fine, but having him black up is a bit contentious.

Joking aside, he actually is quite dark complexioned in the colour art I've seen. (I think it's meant to be a tan but I've seen him as dark as that.)