Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

House of Usher

Quote from: vzzbux on 24 January, 2011, 12:16:06 AM
Shakira needs a good Fu[spoiler]ck[/spoiler]in[spoiler]g[/spoiler]

a) That's what you always say;

b) I'm sure that's what she is getting, anyway.

:lol:
STRIKE !!!

leebrown1990

Only just got this today and devoured it as soon as I got hom, been to long since my last thrill injection. For me the last few weeks including Prog 2011 havent been up to stcratch, glad to say I think the prog is back on top form.

Dredd: Fraser is one of my favourite artists, and although this is a lot looser than the style I liked best by him it's still dynamic and visually intresting, always popping with Caldwell colours. Great story in this one, bit of a gravyard shift vibe to it, loved the dynamic between Control- Street Judge. The ending wasn't what I was expecting, coming as both a pleasant suprise and a dissapoinment. I though Dredd meeting the Cadet and his examiner could have been handled better, but the whole venturing into the Rads and the life of a veteran in the hands of a Cadet was brilliantly done. All in all one of the best Dredd in a long time!

Shakara: Not the most orginal concept, I think Morrison knows that, he even parodies a line from his biggest character. He just knows how to deliver a fun as hell comic week after week, and he is defintley writing to Flint's talents here. Great stuff.

Ampney Crucis: That ending saves this, I got a little confused by who the guy in the cupboard was, but again that ending, excellent.

Necrophim: Even this had it's moments. I'll leave it at that.

Kingdom: Really like the direction this is taking, classic Abnett using the screen on the robot for a clever bit of narration.

Overall: Great Prog, really happy I'm enjoying it so much again. Top Thrill.... tough one... Dredd. Twice Carrol, im very impressed.

Cheers,
Lee

"After 2,000 years of keeping them breeding inside the one bloodline, we're lucky the bastard doesn't have antennae."

Hoagy

Dredd grizzly deployment of youth culture regulating. Would be nice to see how really viscous and heartless these teens are. The contrast of course is the Judge-Youth working Control. Quite a serious look at detachment in a satirical strip.

If I could get over the conscience of looking at a sexy body with a seriously cut up face, I may have read Shakara before Kingdom. But to tell the truth, I was really looking forward to Kingdom's new character installation. It hasn't disappointed, with the trap glaringly obvious, it was set with audacity and executed without being predictable.

Back to Shakara then. Its hot stuff and a depletion of characters ala Henry Flint planet madness. At the end is Shakara. I was such a sucker for these killfests when I was 14-15 and I hope anyone in their teen reading this now is as much as a fan. It'll be fresh to them now and the writing is fantastic.

And so on to Ampney Crucis. Suddenly we have a shady enemy coordinating the  feeding of the piggy worm.Airship air-headed Lovecraftian horror for beginners(to read), it embarks on a journey to the heart of darkness of human ambition and it's beginnings in societal shit-rolling. Quirky though.

Another story discussing this, is Necrophim. Except we see it is still definitely evident in the lower echelons of society. More back stabbing than face offs though. Interestingly, both stories  are true to form.
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

Judge Olde

I've been quieter of late, I'm really not enjoying 2k for a good while. I have stopped reading everything currently other than Dredd. So can't comment on the stories etc. Perhaps I should sit in a dark room & try harder? hmm

DrJomster

Quote from: Judge Olde on 26 January, 2011, 09:23:30 PM
I've been quieter of late, I'm really not enjoying 2k for a good while. I have stopped reading everything currently other than Dredd. So can't comment on the stories etc. Perhaps I should sit in a dark room & try harder? hmm

Take a break for a bit maybe? Obviously still get the progs and save them for when you give it another go! Or there's always clickwheel for good value catching up. Might be you just need the next cycle of non-Dredd thrills. I read Robohunter Droid Files 1 the other day (well most of it) and was struck how much I didn't enjoy Verdus as much as I wanted to. It was only when things moved into Gibson-only art mode that it kicked into gear for me. Ah well, it was great when it did of course! 

As for me, I'm really enjoying the prog at the moment. :)
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

Noisybast

Another stand-out Dredd from Mr Carroll. Loving the focus on Control, and having Dredd viewed mainly as a supporting character for a change. It felt sort of like an episode of an as-yet unmade Dredd TV series, and I mean that in a good way. Great stuff!
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!