Main Menu

Avengers Vs X-Men

Started by Link Prime, 23 March, 2012, 09:19:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Link Prime

Sigh. Its starting next week (# 0).
Anyone worked out just how many issues this crossover will entail?
Sigh.
I frickin hate Marvel. I'm probably gonna buy them all.
*SIGH*

Greg M.

Not quite as many as usual, apparently. Only the core Avengers and X-Men titles. Which, thanks to Marvel's current rebranding mania, means everything they publish. And the sad thing is that's not even a joke. Spidey? Avenger. Daredevil? Avenger. Fantastic Four? All Avengers except Johnny Storm (he probably was one too and I've just forgotten about it.)

Like yourself though, I'll end up buying most of 'em. Except Avengers and New Avengers, which have to be the most god-awful comics out there.

And the even sadder thing is that I'm predisposed to take a side in the conflict. X-Men all the way.

Roger Godpleton

If you want, you could buy me a pizza oven and then you won't have money to give to Marvel.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Greg M.

Can I buy you a George Foreman grill and still read 'Uncanny X-Force'?

Zarjazzer

I don't think there's a Marvel comic that couldn't be improved by the sudden appearance of a big chinned futuristic lawman with a big gun who has just passed lots of laws against muties and vigilantes. I used to rush out to buy such things (Anyone remember Marvel vs DC  :-[) but I'm mature and responsible person now who won't fall for such obvious marketing tricks. Er, is Deadpool in it anywhere?  :-[
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

Professor Bear

I managed to avoid most of Fear Itself*, so shan't be terribly bothered to follow this much, though I notice if you don't fancy the Avengers/X-Men crossover, they're running a crossover between Punisher, Daredevil and Spidey at the same time so those buying books not covered by the other crossover won't feel left out.

* I imagine this was why it seemed to me to be an incomprehensible patchwork of splash pages.  There can surely be no other explanation.

Roger Godpleton

Your mom seemed to me to be an incomprehensible network of splash pages.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Professor Bear

Link Prime

Quote from: Roger Godpleton on 24 March, 2012, 12:39:46 AM
Your mom seemed to me to be an incomprehensible network of splash pages.

Wow Roger. Just...Wow.

As for A Vs X, I'm still considering not getting it...at least not any of the 'Avengers' issues. Guess I've chosen a side- which probably has more to do with having enough cash for a holiday this year than my love of the mutants!

willthemightyW

I read the first issue, and I liked it. Maybe it's because I haven't read marvel in a while (except Dardevil), but near the end when there was [spoiler]the face off with Cap and Cyclops[/spoiler] then the [spoiler]Avengers assemble line was dropped[/spoiler] I go mild chills. Prof is right, daredvil issues themselves aren't encompassed in this, it has it's own crossover with avenging spiderman, and punisher, called the Omega Effect, which I'm looking forward to. My local shop keep said that for AvX all you'll really need is the actual book itself, although I'm sure this will become less true as the series goes on. I'm spending too much on comics at the moment, so if I do need to buy avengers, and uncanny x-men, and wolverine and the x-men, and astonishing x-men, and secret avengers, and new avengers etc to understand it then I'll just get those later... but hopefully I won't need to.
They say you need to spend money to make money, well I've never made any money so by that logic I've never spent any.

klute

Quote from: Link Prime on 23 March, 2012, 09:19:35 PM
Sigh. Its starting next week (# 0).
Anyone worked out just how many issues this crossover will entail?
Sigh.
I frickin hate Marvel. I'm probably gonna buy them all.
*SIGH*

I'll wait till they release the collected edition  as a TPB
loveforstitch - Does he fall in love? I like a little romance in all my movies.

Rekaert - Yes, he demonstrates it with bullets, punches and sentencing.

He's Mega City 1's own Don Juan.

Professor Bear

Quote from: willthemightyW on 14 April, 2012, 05:20:37 PM
My local shop keep said that for AvX all you'll really need is the actual book itself

This has been said before of recent Marvel crossovers and proven less than accurate in every instance.  I find that if you must buy the main book, buy any spin-off titles by Kieran Gillen, which for some reason always feature the legwork sadly missing from the main story.  The rest are usually dreadful fan-wankery of the worst kind.

Link Prime

From the few issues released thus far, I have to admit I enjoyed the 'Infinite' digital exclusive the most...an innovative little read for only €0.79...
I agree that the Kieron Gillen issues of Uncanny will probably be the most satisfying tie-in, although I'll have to pick up the Walt Simonson Avengers stuff too- nostalgia always over-rules common sense in your 30's.

One minor gripe about issue 1 too- Romita Jnrs artwork was handsome as usual, but seemed quite rushed.

Link Prime

Some would say that this thread doesn't deserve a bump- and some would be right.
I'd read the first 6 issues of the main book (0-5) and several of the ancilliary titles, and was underwhelmed to say the least. My interest waned to such a degree that all A Vs X related titles were relegated to my monthly delivery from Midtown Comics.

That delivery arrived today, including issue 6- and sweet Stan Lee, it's freakin great! A totally different beast to what came before, and a nice change of direction (Cyclops and 4 other members of the Extinction Team are given god like powers, and decide to right every wrong in the world. Not 100% original, but very entertaining).
And what value: 36 meaty pages (w/ great Olivier Coipel art), a free digital download of the issue and a free digital download of the 2nd 'Infinite' issue.
If anyone was at all tempted to try this, I'd recommend issue 6 (you didn't miss much prior to it).

I'm back on board, with the remaining 50% of my soul / cash to spend.

Greg M.

Although if it's possible to read it and not regard Captain America as a complete asshole, I'd like it explained to me. (Not, it should admittedly be added, a bigger asshole than Wolverine, of course, who has been written as nothing short of an absolute dick for... ooh... the past two years.)