Main Menu

Discovered / rediscovered music thread

Started by JayzusB.Christ, 16 April, 2009, 12:12:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Definitely Not Mister Pops

King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard.

I remember loving Nonagon Infinity when it came out, but then kind of forgot about it.
Then this band showed up in my youtube and I'm hooked.

Here's a free album if you're interested
You may quote me on that.

Tiplodocus

Spotify has got me listening to music again. But what's the best way to get more "new" stuff out of it? My musical taste stopped evolving about twenty years ago. And only "new" artists I've come to over the last decade are Public Service Broadcasting and Paolo Nutini.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Rara Avis

The Pale Emperor (2015) is actually pretty good.

Quote from: Mister Pops on 01 January, 2019, 01:44:02 AM
This week I have mostly been revisiting Marilyn Manson.

He really had it going on in the 90s, before he became the horrible coke bloated weirdo he is now. A goth Lady Gaga for angsty Gen Xers

Barrington Boots

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 28 December, 2019, 09:57:08 AM
Spotify has got me listening to music again. But what's the best way to get more "new" stuff out of it? My musical taste stopped evolving about twenty years ago. And only "new" artists I've come to over the last decade are Public Service Broadcasting and Paolo Nutini.

Good call on PSB!

In my experience the best way to get new unknown stuff of Spotify is to compile a playlist for a workout, a friend or some other reason where you might want to specifically dictate the tracks and then Spotify will 'helpfully' start adding tracks to it of it's own violition that it thinks you might like, leading to utter confusion and frustration.

If you're able to access it wherever you're listening, I'd actually suggest Youtube as a great tool for new music. The stuff it's algorithms suggest on the right hand side can lead you down all sorts of rabbit holes of new bands, obscure stuff and things you might otherwise have never heard of.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Barrington Boots

Oh and if you like Public Service Broadcasting and Trek, check out this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2c2BrHQ_DU

Rately

Quote from: Barrington Boots on 12 January, 2021, 11:55:32 AM

Good call on PSB!

In my experience the best way to get new unknown stuff of Spotify is to compile a playlist for a workout, a friend or some other reason where you might want to specifically dictate the tracks and then Spotify will 'helpfully' start adding tracks to it of it's own violition that it thinks you might like, leading to utter confusion and frustration.

If you're able to access it wherever you're listening, I'd actually suggest Youtube as a great tool for new music. The stuff it's algorithms suggest on the right hand side can lead you down all sorts of rabbit holes of new bands, obscure stuff and things you might otherwise have never heard of.

Yes, I love the similar music suggestions on Spotify, and I love creating Playlists for everything from walking, running etc. Great way to discover new and old songs I've missed out on.

pictsy

Is this the right place for posting this?  I did discover it... sortof.  YouTube recommended it to me.  I figured there might be enough cross over of interest that someone on the forum will appreciate it.  It captured me and I'm really not it's target audience.  Or am I?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTTT0iarzI8

Barrington Boots

EVERYONE should be the target audience for this.

Looking at this however I realise I have wasted my time during lockdown.

pictsy

Quote from: Barrington Boots on 01 March, 2021, 10:09:22 AM
EVERYONE should be the target audience for this.

You're probably right.

I also never realised Transformers could be sexy!

Barrington Boots

Listened to this old favourite on my A-Z album playthrough last night. Stuka Squadron were a band made up of WWII German vampires - basically, imagine Iron Maiden doing Fiends of the Eastern Front.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05vhRUflS6s

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

sheridan

Quote from: Rately on 13 January, 2021, 12:25:51 PM
Quote from: Barrington Boots on 12 January, 2021, 11:55:32 AM

Good call on PSB!

Yes, I love the similar music suggestions on Spotify, and I love creating Playlists for everything from walking, running etc. Great way to discover new and old songs I've missed out on.

I do the same with youtube music - I've trained both spotify and youtube to suggest the kind of music I might like, and sometimes they present things I've never heard of before.  Many lockdown discoveries have been made this way...

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: sheridan on 22 May, 2022, 10:58:59 PM
I do the same with youtube music - I've trained both spotify and youtube to suggest the kind of music I might like, and sometimes they present things I've never heard of before.  Many lockdown discoveries have been made this way...

Always been a bit 'Old Man Shouts at Cloud' about music streaming services, but I got six months of Apple Music free when I bought some Beats Fit headphones so I thought I'd give it a go. The 'This Artist + Similar' autogenerated playlists are surprisingly good, and led down twin rabbit holes of Dark Country (which I didn't even know was A Thing, Johnny Cash notwithstanding, but I really rather like) and Shouty German Metal (aka NDH) which, it turns out, is absolutely fantastic to work out to.

(I mean, Rammstein has always had a strong showing in my workout playlists, but I've now got a dedicated 150 minute workout playlist full of Eisbrecher, Megaherz, OST+Front, Heldmaschine, Stahlmann and the like... there's about a dozen words of English* in the whole thing, and three of those are "HEAVY FUCKING METAL!")

*I figure I'll probably have learnt German by osmosis before the year's out...
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

sheridan

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 23 May, 2022, 08:35:37 AM
Quote from: sheridan on 22 May, 2022, 10:58:59 PM

Always been a bit 'Old Man Shouts at Cloud' about music streaming services, but I got six months of Apple Music free when I bought some Beats Fit headphones so I thought I'd give it a go. The 'This Artist + Similar' autogenerated playlists are surprisingly good, and led down twin rabbit holes of Dark Country (which I didn't even know was A Thing, Johnny Cash notwithstanding, but I really rather like) and Shouty German Metal (aka NDH) which, it turns out, is absolutely fantastic to work out to.

(I mean, Rammstein has always had a strong showing in my workout playlists, but I've now got a dedicated 150 minute workout playlist full of Eisbrecher, Megaherz, OST+Front, Heldmaschine, Stahlmann and the like... there's about a dozen words of English* in the whole thing, and three of those are "HEAVY FUCKING METAL!")

*I figure I'll probably have learnt German by osmosis before the year's out...

NDH = Neue Deutsche Härte (New German Hardness) for the uninitiated - major early proponents were Oomph!, Rammstein, Joachim Witt, Megaherz and Eisbrecher.

Speaking of which, Rammstein are currently engaged in a world tour, hitting the UK in about a month.  Rumours are that it might be the last tour they make (though this could be people reading too much in to some of the current music videos, for example Zeit (not entirely safe for work, as with most Rammstein videos).

Meanwhile, if post-Brexit international travel didn't threaten to be such a pain (and we weren't also getting travel cancellations due to pandemic staff shortages on top of that) then I'd be preparing to go to Wave Gotik Treffen next weekend.  192 artists from the worlds of goth, industrial, darkwave, NDH, etc.  It says something about WGT that there have been complaints that not many bands are playing this year as the bandlist is still below 200!

I, Cosh

Quote from: Funt Solo on 22 May, 2022, 09:05:58 PM
How had I not heard of these afore?

Galaxie 500 - Peel Session 1989
Great band. The first thing I ever bought on eBay was a CD-R of their other Peel session as it was the only way I could get a copy of their half-remembered Sex Pistols cover.

Massively regret not being arsed to get the train through to Edinburgh to see them on what turned out to be their last ever tour. Have since seen Dean do a nostalgia-heavy set but it's not quite the same without the rest of them.
We never really die.