Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buttonman

The Voices - mad as hell but good fun. Possibly a bit uneven but you could argue that's all down to the main man being a psycho. Best finale since 'This is the End'.

Ghost MacRoth

The Equalizer

Much as I generally despise remakes, most particularly those that change the gender/nationality/race/point of the main characters, but this one....well, this one works quite well. Ol' Denzel is generally good in anything, so that's a no brainer.  What I really liked though, was the OCD element they brought to the character of Robert McCall....it was like Sheldon Cooper crossed with the A-Team and McGuyver, all rolled up into one guy.  The ending is daft as fuck, and does detract a wee bit from how well it had played out to that point, but overall, a well worthwhile watch.
I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

TordelBack

Hercules (2014): The Dwayne Johnson One.

I know I should have avoided it because of poor Steve Moore (among other reasons), but amazingly this wasn't half bad. Yet another Magnificent Seven remake with a painfully obvious 'twist', numerous missed opportunities for the baddies to kill the goodies, and the last 10 minutes didn't work at all, but I thoroughly enjoyed the rest of it.  The heavily oiled Rock has a definite daft charm, the central conceit of is-he-or-isn't-he was rather fun instead of annoying as I'd imagined it would be, and his band of misfits was entertainingly silly. I do wish it had pitched its gore/violence at the same childish level as everything else, because it would make a perfectly good kids' movie with just a bit less blood. Pleasantly surprised.

Mardroid

Gullivar's Travels

The 2010 version with Jack Black and quite a few other recognisable faces from British and Irish comedy.

Rather silly and very enjoyable.

Keef Monkey

Another watch of [REC]4: Apocalypse last night with Mrs Monkey. Really like this one, is holding up great for me.

Buttonman

Collateral Damage As close to a Simpsons 'McBain' as you could wish - 'Mendoozzzaaa' - family exploded and Arnie seeks revenge on the Colombians responsible. Rubbish but not too demanding.

Theblazeuk

Buttonman

Yeah, that's brilliant - from the days when The Simpsons was the best thing on TV.

Hawkmumbler

Guess i'm on a zombie high right now as I got a craving to watch the ludicrous City of the Living Dead today.
I've been working all weekend so i'll take today off to clean the house and watch this in the background. Teleporting zombies?! Where do these crazy Italians get their ideas....

Professor Bear

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 23 March, 2015, 09:41:10 AM
Did you know you can watch all of MCBAIN on Youtube?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vyANa71gvU

There's a link on that page to a Christopher Walken movie called McBain that's just as stupid as the Simpsons version.

The Colony.  A snowmageddon film about some cannibals that come looking for dinner in a post-icepocalypse world and find an underground shelter where Bill Paxton seems to be trying to solve a food shortage by seeing if the population can survive on a diet of bullets. That description makes it sound like it might be eventful, but it's just some stuff that happens and is very reminiscent of John Carpenter's Ghosts of Mars, which wouldn't really be a problem as I quite like Ghosts of Mars, only The Colony doesn't have the balls to replicate GoM's sleaze or casual sadism, replacing that with a really terrible sub-plot about a young couple who look like they just stepped out of a hipster clothing catalogue.  Every time they kiss I couldn't stop mentally hearing OM NOM NOM NOM because they're so unconvincing, and at one point the guy rescues the girl from being held hostage in a room or something and it just made me think of when I trawl Youtube looking for short indy films and then click a link and find a Batman film made by 8 year olds where they rescue their sister from their mum's garage.
Looks nice and sounds nice with a very John Carpenter-ish synth-tinged soundtrack, and Larry Fishburne doing the mad stare where you think he's going to reach through your tv and jam a screwdriver in your eye is always welcome in any film, but he's not the main character, and nor is Bill Paxton, it's a flat-faced hipster bloke for some reason, who kind of ruins what might have been an enjoyable b-movie romp.

Buttonman

Buttonman

Another unseen Arnie for me with The 6th Day which I really enjoyed. Bit 'I Robot' big bit Arnie 'Total Recall' and a bit 'Judge Dredd' 95 (clones bit).

ZenArcade

Rollerball wasn't 1957: surely mid 70's. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Colin YNWA

Quote from: ZenArcade on 23 March, 2015, 08:12:09 PM
Rollerball wasn't 1957: surely mid 70's. Z

Or even 1975. I'm a man that knows me typos.

Hawkmumbler

WHATS THAT? I MADE A TYPO? SORRY, I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER THE SOUND OF THESE PLEBS SHOUTING JONATHAN!