Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: sauchie on 10 May, 2013, 04:58:36 PM
Quote of the week. You're confusing previous instalments of the Iron Man franchise with Pasolini's Salò.
Best use of metaphoric speech since ever. :lol:

Mardroid

Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 06 May, 2013, 12:04:46 PM
Anaconda Two: The Hunt for the Blood Orchid. A company representative leads a team of scientists through the jungles of Borneo for a rare plant that only blooms once every seven years. They need it to produce a revolutionary new drug, that will make them rich. They encounter a tangle of anacondas bigger, faster and smarter than the regular kind. I watched it four times...
They found South American snakes in Borneo? For crying out loud. Unless they were set free or escaped there like those pythons into the Everglades in which case ignore my criticism of the film. Actually they do have some large python species in Borneo but maybe they wanted to cash in by making a franchise of it.

sheldipez

Quote from: Mardroid on 11 May, 2013, 04:19:05 PM
Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 06 May, 2013, 12:04:46 PM
Anaconda Two: The Hunt for the Blood Orchid. A company representative leads a team of scientists through the jungles of Borneo for a rare plant that only blooms once every seven years. They need it to produce a revolutionary new drug, that will make them rich. They encounter a tangle of anacondas bigger, faster and smarter than the regular kind. I watched it four times...
They found South American snakes in Borneo? For crying out loud. Unless they were set free or escaped there like those pythons into the Everglades in which case ignore my criticism of the film. Actually they do have some large python species in Borneo but maybe they wanted to cash in by making a franchise of it.

There are two further Anaconda movies with a fifth rumoured to be in the works. ;D

Ghost MacRoth

So they keep churning out that shite.....but no sequel to what we all want.....:(
I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

judgefloyd

The Green Hornet - on tv.  Just about the worst superhero movie ever.  Made me nostalgic for the old 'Golden Turkey Awards' book. 
  It uses the popular idea in American movies that an obnoxious slob with no redeeming features at all can redeem himself by being an obnoxious slob with a heart of gold, which he discovers through hardship, winning the respect of people who are worth a thousand of him but have to put up with him for some contrived reason.  In this case, he earns the love of Cameron Diaz (who spends a lot of the movie banging on about the fact that she's still hot despite being 36 - like a more cuddly Madonna) and some Chinese guy who puts up with Green Hornet despite being a martial arts whiz who's brilliant at making super cars because....actually I couldn't work out why the Chinese guy puts up with him.  Sense of obligation?  He needs the money to pay for his super-car making hobby? Maybe he needed the money to pay for English lessons because his accent was so thick I couldn''t understand a lot of what he was saying.  Ah well, it was supposed to be a comedy and there were very mild laughs with a creepy but stupid gangster and about one minute's worth of fun from a drug dealing client......  Oh well - at least I won't die wondering what it was like.

TordelBack

Quote from: judgefloyd on 12 May, 2013, 10:26:11 AM
The Green Hornet - on tv.  Just about the worst superhero movie ever. 

I thought it was hilarious, and I usually find Rogen hard to take.  Of course, I have absolutely no prior knowledge of the character, so I enjoyed it as a rather unpredictable good-looking comedy with unlikeable leads.

Mardroid

Mirrors.

Interesting premise, and actually quite unnerving in places. I guess it helps that from a young age my imagination has often run riot when considering mirrors. (I.e. the idea of looking into it and seeing something different looking back. Brrr.)

Oh, [spoiler]and I loved that twist at the end.[/spoiler]

Mardroid

Okay, latest film seen is now The Golden Child.

I've seen it a few times and, I missed the start this time and largely had it on in the background this time, but it's still a good 'un. And Charlotte Lewis is incredibly pretty.

Buttonman

Dubious teen bio-pic The Runaways and then some circus antics as we fetch some Water for Elephants

TordelBack

The In Betweeners (Movie).  Unevenly amusing, but that's not what I want to talk about!  Channelling Simon Bird, I want to know why, when a lot of the exteriors were obviously actually shot on the main drag in Malia (or a superb recreation thereof) were none of the establishing helicopter shots from anywhere near?  The coach leaves the airport and heads west instead of east, and Malia's famously low-lying arid coastal strip (complete with awesome Minoan coastal palace and ghastly sprawl of low-rise hotels and apartments) is a lushly vegetated clifftop dotted with luxury villas?  Very odd.  You'd think they didn't care or something.

Ghost MacRoth

The Impossible.

Not a movie I would normally go for, to much luvvy dovey family pish for my tastes, however, it's also brutal, beautifully shot uncompromising, tragic, hopeful, and just straight up lump0 in the throat unbelievable, that I'd recommend it to anyone.  A couple of magners may have helped raise the anchor on my emotional restraints, but I think I would have got a wee tad emotional without them too.  Superb direction.
I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

Recrewt

Quote from: TordelBack on 12 May, 2013, 11:06:26 PM
The In Betweeners (Movie).  Unevenly amusing, but that's not what I want to talk about!  Channelling Simon Bird, I want to know why, when a lot of the exteriors were obviously actually shot on the main drag in Malia (or a superb recreation thereof) were none of the establishing helicopter shots from anywhere near?  The coach leaves the airport and heads west instead of east, and Malia's famously low-lying arid coastal strip (complete with awesome Minoan coastal palace and ghastly sprawl of low-rise hotels and apartments) is a lushly vegetated clifftop dotted with luxury villas?  Very odd.  You'd think they didn't care or something.
Not sure why but some of the film was also shot in Magaluf as I recognised some of the locations.  I do like the inbetweeners - despite the intial crude appearance, it does a very good job of recreating the feel of a 'lads holiday'. 

TordelBack

Ah, Magaluf, that'd explain it (I presume, knowing nowt about Magaluf and being unable to point to it on a map).  That main strip did look a hell of a lot like Malia (which I know pretty well, during the day at least), so kudos to the set-dressing folk!  But does make one wonder why they didn't just set it in Magaluf...

Frank

Quote from: Buttonman on 12 May, 2013, 05:12:55 PM
Dubious teen bio-pic The Runaways and then some circus antics as we fetch some Water for Elephants

I agree with your assessment of the film, Buttonman, but damn your eyes for not loving The Runaways' music - Joan Jett is the coolest woman to ever stride the Earth. Your review contains a sentence in which you complain that Michael Shannon is miscast and that there's not enough of him, and later on you use the phrase an hours. Your review's funny though, and I agree that Shannon's maniacal spouting of Geri-Halliwell-style slogans is as entertaining as the leads are awkward. No-one who's ever seen any other music biopic needs to watch this film, unless you want to play a game of anticipating the rock cliché.

Buttonman

I probably have seen too much of Shannon as Van Arden to be convinced by him in big heels and make up but I'd still have more of him than bitchy teens going in the huff. As for the typo thanks for the heads up - damn spellcheck doesn't pick up real word errors - plucking shut it is!