Main Menu

History of Violence

Started by JayzusB.Christ, 27 November, 2007, 01:55:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayzusB.Christ

Is the film worth a look then? My housemate described it to me; it sounds very different from the graphic novel. I'm thinking of getting it out but i don't want to waste two hours if it's muck.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Richmond Clements

It's a good movie. Not great by any stretch.
It veers wildly from the GN in the final act, but then, I do think the original ending would have been too much for the cinema going public!

And there's a couple of utterly pointless sex scenes that add a grand total of nothing to the plot.

The violence is very good though. Very realistic in the brutality, in the speed it takes place and the sounds that gets made when you hit someone really hard.

Worth watching.

TordelBack

do think the original ending would have been too much for the cinema

It was almost too much for me in the comic.  Gave me some serious nightmares.

Bad Andy

And there's a couple of utterly pointless sex scenes that add a grand total of nothing to the plot.

Added to my enjoyment of the film though!

I watched the film, bought the book.

Prefer the film.

Oddboy

It's pretty similar to the first chapter of the book, but then instead of making chapters two and three, they just wrapped everything up in 5 minutes with some clichéd gangster sh*te.
Better set your phaser to stun.

Wake

I liked it and so did my wife (though she took a bit of persuading to get her to watch it in the first place).

I haven't read the GN yet.

W. R. Logan

im one of those fans that loved the G/N but hated the movie. Was really looking forward to seeing it and still think that they should have stuck to the original story, especially the story about the robbery and the final chapter.

I, Cosh

I've never read the comic, but I thought the film was great once you get past the incredibly cloying opening sequence.

Obviously, don't what was added and what was source, but I thought the sex scenes were pretty well done compared to the average thriller and did have a point in illustrating how their relationship changed in response to the other events of the film.
We never really die.

JayzusB.Christ

Believe they've left out the most horribly violent part of all, am i right? I won't spoil it for those who haven't read the Gn but jesus wept it's horrendous
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

scutfink

I was Dissapointed by the film, having heard good things about it, and being a fan of Cronenburg in general.

I thought it did a sterling job of adapting the first chapter of the GN, but that ending, mnyeh!

Tiplodocus

Funny, I thought the ending of the book would be the sort of thing that interested Cronenberg in filming it.

s

p

o

i

l

e

r

s

I actually the whole "two kids ripping off the mob" element of the book was incredibly weak. I was glad that changed but, yeah, the ending of the film was something of a let down.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Roger Godpleton

I've had on DVD since last December and I still haven't watched. Is there hope for me?
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!