Main Menu

Prog 2362 - It’s a 100-Page Festive Mega Blast!

Started by Le Fink, 09 December, 2023, 10:15:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Le Fink

Quote from: broodblik on 13 December, 2023, 07:14:11 AMAnderson again is drawn as a hot babe, but the timeline is never established here so let's just live with it.

The intro blurb on the contents page gives the same year as Dredd - 2145.

I know it's a bit silly to care, but still.

Funt Solo

Quote from: Le Fink on 13 December, 2023, 02:51:16 PM
Quote from: broodblik on 13 December, 2023, 07:14:11 AMAnderson again is drawn as a hot babe, but the timeline is never established here so let's just live with it.

The intro blurb on the contents page gives the same year as Dredd - 2145.

I know it's a bit silly to care, but still.

A continuity nerd writes: that's Anderson's daughter. Try to keep up.  :D
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Le Fink

Quote from: Funt Solo [Rlink=msg=1108384 date=1702481036]
A continuity nerd writes: that's Anderson's daughter. Try to keep up.  :D
Ha. I remember this being said about Henry Flint's recent Anderson. This one is even younger! Has the original Anderson popped back into the Proteus and jumped 38 years?

Magnetica

Quote from: Le Fink on 13 December, 2023, 02:47:44 PM
Quote from: Magnetica on 13 December, 2023, 11:14:27 AMOnly read Azimuth.

I'd love to discuss what the implications of the ending is, but I think that really needs spoiler tags, but don't see them anymore.

Have they been removed?
Stick SPOILERS at the top of your post and have at it, I say. I thought it was a great twist, but didn't realise the Meg and Dexter's timelines were so intertwined. I've not read much of sindex though.

###### MASSIVE SPOILERS #######

They're not, and that's kinda the point. Up to now there has been no connection at all between Downlode and the world of Judge Dredd.

And now....is the implication meant to be that Azimuth is a simulated world inside Downlode that itself is simulated world within Dredd's world?

I kinda hope not, because that would basically be retconning the whole of Sinister Dexter.

Hopefully there's some other explanation for this, and I'm reading waaaay too much into it.
Can't wait to find out - the next series can't come soon enough.

Funt Solo

There is actually precedence for this sort of malarkey in Sin Dex. See "Now & Again" from capital-P Prog 2012. They dimension-hop from MC-1 to Flesh to Nu Earth to Dante to Strontium Dog to Kingdom to nowhere at all.

I thought it was the final Sin Dex story, and it could have been.

On the other hand, this could be (as you said) something else entirely.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

broodblik

If it turns out that the Dredd-verse and Downlode is the same world then that will be a pity. It can also be one of the popular themes these days: multiverse/alternative dimensions. These themes are their for being lazy and not needing to write a proper explanation of events and justify illogical events. But in Abnett I trust to deliver something different bring on then next chapter sooner than later.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Funt Solo [R] on 13 December, 2023, 10:05:51 PM###### MASSIVE SPOILERS #######

There is actually precedence for this sort of malarkey in Sin Dex. See "Now & Again" from capital-P Prog 2012. They dimension-hop from MC-1 to Flesh to Nu Earth to Dante to Strontium Dog to Kingdom to nowhere at all.

It's pretty well established (I think) that the Sin/Dex multiverse encompasses pretty much the entire 2000AD canon amongst its alternates, in the 2012 end of year prog you mention, but also when all these folks turn up during a dimension hop.

(Image of the original art thieved from Pete Wells' Comic Art Fans page, because I couldn't find the published version online anywhere. In the published version, Zenith and Big Dave were covered by captions because the rights to Zenith were still in dispute at the time, and the rights to Big Dave were returned to the creators years earlier.)

My memory is a bit hazy on the story where the original 'Andi' appeared, but aren't they also an alternate-universe version of the character...?

Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Magnetica

# # # # # # MASSIVE SPOILERS # # # # # # #

Thanks Jim, I'd forgotten about that.

So that explains it, it's some alternative universe version of Anderson.

But, what this also means is, all 2000AD stories, at least in the Dan Abnett version, are taking place in alternative realities that could be in theory be travelled to by anyone with appropriate dimension jump tech.

But it's largely ignored, certainly for "normal' stories.

So it's not a retcon of the whole of SinDex. Which is great.

dan200

Garth Ennis "Helter Skelter" story in progs 1250-1261 canonised the idea that all 2000AD stories are different alternate dimensions that can crossover with Mega City One given the right Dimension Hopping mcguffins, and last years "Judgement Days" used the same concept as the basis for it's own crossover madness. So this kind of thing has been possible for some time.

Anderson using psychic magic to cross dimensions has been done a few times too (IIRC, she physically linked to Judge Death while he was floating around in a void dimension), so it's not too wild to think she might have linked to Azimuth that way.

Magnetica

I have a hard time counting anything that happened in Helter Skelter as canon. 😂

Dredd and Anderson crossing over to Deadworld is one thing. Let's call that the Dredd multiverse.

All 2000AD universes being connected as another thing; that's a 2000AD multiverse.

Funt Solo

Quote from: dan200 on 14 December, 2023, 02:51:57 PMAnderson using psychic magic to cross dimensions has been done a few times too

When she bonded with an angel during End of Days she seemed capable of dimension-hopping and perhaps time travel. (How she transformed back from angel-Anderson to normal Anderson was hand-waved away between the pages.)
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Funt Solo

+++AZIMUTH SPOILERS++

Sorry to double-post, and it's probably not relevant - but the Cassandra in Azimuth is bald. The last time I recall seeing a bald Anderson was when she was comatose during Half-Life.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Funt Solo [R] on 14 December, 2023, 03:38:09 PM+++AZIMUTH SPOILERS++

Sorry to double-post, and it's probably not relevant - but the Cassandra in Azimuth is bald. The last time I recall seeing a bald Anderson was when she was comatose during Half-Life.

I think the baldness is a red herring. (Please keep in mind that I have literally no inside info on this.)

The uniform, however, appeared in 'Satan' when Satan tried to persuade Anderson to become his herald. In that story, Anderson said no... but perhaps we might infer that this version said yes...

(Which might make things... interesting.)
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

IndigoPrime

* immediately checks Anderson's feet for hooves *

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++