Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brendan1

Quote from: DeFuzzed on 21 May, 2012, 09:11:12 AM
Sherlock Holmes 2: Game of Shadows

What absolute kak. You hate Bale's Batman voice? Listen to RDJ's Sherlock voice and thank your lucky stars you have Bale. Bloody hell. There was nothing good in this movie, nobody and nothing. At all. It blows my mind this wasn't a flop, but then again, people seem to enjoy RDJ beyond all comprehension.

Please tell me there's no third on the way. Such a waste of money hurts my soul.

I had to stop watching mid-film, it really just needed to stop. But I went back and saw the rest because maybe it got better? Wishful thinking. Oh so wishful.

It suffers so badly, so so badly, in comparison to BBC's Sherlock.

It's hardly a fair comparison. One was designed for TV. The other for global cinema audiences.

Mudcrab

Both covered before but...

Troll Hunter: I generally hate fake video handheld stuff (Blair Witch onwards) but this was cool enough. Freaky things trolls so well worth a watch.

Kill List: Dear Grud that was fucked up. Was lucky to keep watching after the first while, the whole soapy bitching couple thing really depresses me and I think it was only "Tyres" that kept me interested (was pretty obvious that his partner was evil, she was in HR ffs!  ;)). Wasn't at all what I expected, more of a Hammer Horror type thing in the end. Possibly the most horrible ending to a film ever! Gah, had nightmares after that, really grim stuff.
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

Eric Plumrose

Quote from: Dandontdare on 21 May, 2012, 11:19:52 AMI picked up a DVD of the stage version of Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds. This was was one of the first albums I bought when I was about 12, and I still love it.

Wasn't Jeff Wayne s'posed to be releasing an animated version of the musical version of?
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

Dandontdare

Quote from: Eric Plumrose on 21 May, 2012, 01:03:37 PM
Quote from: Dandontdare on 21 May, 2012, 11:19:52 AMI picked up a DVD of the stage version of Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds. This was was one of the first albums I bought when I was about 12, and I still love it.

Wasn't Jeff Wayne s'posed to be releasing an animated version of the musical version of?

Wouldn't be surprised. He's been milking this one piece of work for decades now!

Funniest thing about the DVD was the intervview with him in the extras - his comments were phrased as to be casual and off the cuff, but he's a dreadful actor and was obviously reciting them word for word.

judgefloyd

I just finished watching the Twilight Zone movie for the first time since seeing it at the movies when it first came out.  John Lithgow was a wonderful as ever.  The story about the kid who could do anything was kind of stuffed up by the ending - just a bit of niceness was all that was needed (admittedly from a super smoking hot school teacher lady - but the kid was too young for that to matter to him), the 'racism is bad' segment was so stupid I almost felt sorry for the Nazis and the lovable old people's home made me glad I'm not diabetic.  I still chuckle at Dan Akroyd's bit.

DeFuzzed

Quote from: Dandontdare on 21 May, 2012, 11:19:52 AM
yes but did you like it?  :D

I picked up a DVD of the stage version of Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds.

It deserved my spew, it really did!

That's not the music behind Richard Burton's radio War of the Worlds, is it? With that 'oh Nathanial no!' lyrics and creepy instrumentals that make it entertaining driving music.

Quote from: brendan1 on 21 May, 2012, 12:17:12 PM
It's hardly a fair comparison. One was designed for TV. The other for global cinema audiences.

That's usually the defence given for the TV show version. Still, if that was a defence for the movie? - well, no, it's no defence, because what was wrong with it was 75% actors' fault and the rest splurged around script and direction.

If you liked it, good for you. I wish I'd liked it.

Beeks

I watched Drive at the weekend..what a great film!
"We keep on being told that religion, whatever its imperfections, at least instills morality. On every side, there is conclusive evidence that the contrary is the case and that faith causes people to be more mean, more selfish, and perhaps above all, more stupid." ― Christopher Hitchens

Fisticuffs

I second that. Drive Is fantastic, awesome music and cinematography, I really enjoyed it.

radiator

Apparently the director of Drive is making the Button Man film...

Dandontdare

Quote from: DeFuzzed on 21 May, 2012, 02:29:02 PM
That's not the music behind Richard Burton's radio War of the Worlds, is it? With that 'oh Nathanial no!' lyrics and creepy instrumentals that make it entertaining driving music.

That's the one, but it was an album originally, realeased in the 70s. It ws made into a stage show much much later and still tours occasionally. It was narrated by Richard Burton (who appears in the stage show as a weird CGI hologram projected onto a big floating ball) and starred Phil (coolest man to come out of Dublin) Lynott as Parson Nathaniel and David Essex as the Artilleryman.

Not to be confused with the legendary 1930s radio version by Orson Welles which was so realistic it caused huge numbers of middle America to panic thinking they really were being invaded!

TordelBack

Quote from: Dandontdare on 21 May, 2012, 11:19:52 AM
I picked up a DVD of the stage version of Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds. This was was one of the first albums I bought when I was about 12, and I still love it. I've always wanted to see the stage show but have never been able to find anyone willing to pay the high ticket price to go with me, so when I saw this cheap DVD I had to have it.

Saw the stage show about 3 years ago, as a last-night-out-before-baby-No.2-arrives-and-ruins-everything treat for the missus, who had introduced me to the delights of the album when we knew each other as kids. 

It was actually a very good show, apart from some sound problems which were almost certainly the (then new) venue's fault.  It includes the bits of CGI animation that were (I presume) intended to form part of the film version, but they already look horribly dated - they should have stuck with the album-insert style.  The Giant Floating Head of Burton is technically impressive, but it doesn't add much - this is in contrast to the Absolutely Giant Martian Fighting Machine which is bloody impressive, and its raisings and lowerings do add to proceedings.   An added bonus was Jennifer Ellison as Beth, who I've always thought was rather comely, and original cast member Justin Hayward, who was pretty good (if not as goodly pretty). 

Worth the shekels if you can find them.

Roger Godpleton

He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Tiplodocus

TRUE LIES - I'd forgotten what jolly good fun this is despite a deeply dodgy 30 minutes in the middle where he terrorises his wife (but it's OK, there are some laughs to be had as she writhes around in only her tims). The bridge going up is still one of the best movie explosions ever and the high jinx with the Harrier also a lot of fun.

Is it just DVD upscaling that makes it a lot easier to see Arnie's stunt doubles or was it always so?
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

I, Cosh

I've always liked True Lies but, in my head, I sometimes do it down as I feel it unfairly gets plaudits which should more rightfully belong to Last Action Hero. This probably isn't very reasonable.

For some reason, Roadhouse was one of those films that I'd always heard my mates talk about but never actually seen. That all changed last week. A gloriously ludicrous slice of 80s cheeseball action starring a glistening Patrick Swayze as the philosophy graduate turned best bouncer in the business brought in to clean up the roughest bar in six counties. In time honoured fashion, he does things his own way but inevitably finds his own sense of moral rectitude and natural justice forces him to take on the corrupt local establishment along with the yahoos smashing glasses in his bar.

From the hairdos through the uneasy attempts to have an American dramatist performing his own martial arts scenes to the straight-faced delivery of lines like "Nobody wins a fight" this is so joyfully of its time that the only way I can think of getting the same authentic whiff of nostalgia would be to break into the Blue Peter garden and dig up Petra's corpse.

Quite marvellous.
We never really die.

DeFuzzed

Quote from: Dandontdare on 21 May, 2012, 03:31:01 PM
Quote from: DeFuzzed on 21 May, 2012, 02:29:02 PM

That's the one, but it was an album originally, realeased in the 70s. It ws made into a stage show much much later and still tours occasionally.

I had no idea. Awesome. Will keep an eye out for the show. Might take the kids too since every time we put it on on long drives, they love it. Calms them right down.

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 21 May, 2012, 11:23:47 PM
TRUE LIES - I'd forgotten what jolly good fun this is despite a deeply dodgy 30 minutes in the middle where he terrorises his wife

Love True Lies. I do think it was Arnie's best 'acting' role - misquoting terribly, probably: "they were all bad, honey" - and first time I'd actually seen him have chemistry with a woman. Loved the bashing of the dogs at the beginning (I love dogs, don't get me wrong, just cool move) - and when he swam under that firewater, great visuals there. Loved Tom Arnold and his lucky lamp-post. And Jamie totally deserved the best body acclaim that year. And I had no idea the hotel chase scene was CGI until I saw the BTS.

Top stuff. Wouldn't mind a sequel at all.