Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

COMMANDO FORCES

Quote from: TordelBack on 16 December, 2013, 04:33:06 PM
dismissively pushing a defeated villain into a crack in the floor of your ice-fortress.

And standing by while two other people fall to their deaths, don't forget those deaths ;)

HOO-HAA

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 16 December, 2013, 02:06:19 PM
Watched the Lone Ranger last night and really enjoyed it despite itself. Nowhere near as bad as I was scared it would be and it looked beautiful.

I think the last movie I know to have failed sooo dramatically was Kevin Costner's Waterworld. And it wasn't half as bad as people made out, either...

Hawkmumbler

Howls Moving Castle is a modern masterpiece. That is all for today.

pictsy

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 16 December, 2013, 03:46:07 PM
Princess Mononoke is a firm favourite too. The movie that helped create Studio Ghibli is possibly my favourite work though; Nausicaa and the Valley of the Wind - not least because Patrick Stewart voices the best swordsman in the land. It makes a nice accompaniment to Princess M too, very similar themes approached from different directions.

I totally agree.  I love both those films.  Nausicaa is a fantastic character with strong will and an endearingly compassionate heart that demonstrates, to me at least, how to do strong, action heroines.

Princess Mononoke is purely stunning.  I love the story and the moral ambiguities presented.  There is no clear cut right or wrong presented in this film that gives it a depth and maturity.  The animation is superb also.

I enjoyed Porco Rosso.  It was a very different sort of story told quite well.  Not the best but quality.

Grave of the Fireflies is just heartbreakingly sad.  I've had it on DVD for years but only seen it once as it is far from cheery and can be difficult to watch.

I'm going to watch Howl's Moving castle because it's the one I haven't seen.

Dark Jimbo

I think I ruined Nausicaa a bit for myself by having read the (superb) manga first, which outclassed it in scope and scale.
@jamesfeistdraws

Bolt-01

The nausicaa manga is just amazing. The film is good, but it pales in comparison. Mononoke is a stone classic as well.

Colin MacNeil

Behold! THE greatest movie of ALL time!

The Wizard of Speed and Time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ldOTw60Ozg

Enjoy!

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Colin MacNeil on 17 December, 2013, 12:20:26 AM

Enjoy!

I remember the trailer for this when it was released and it still amazes me that it ever got made. Old-school satirical and technical insanity.

Bat King

Daemonium: Hanya Shibari

3rd installment of an Argentinean series. Post apocalyptic South American setting. Demons, magic, guns, martial arts. Multiple male & female characters,

Really enjoying this series.
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

TordelBack

Quote from: Colin MacNeil on 17 December, 2013, 12:20:26 AM

Enjoy!

Never seen this before, and just finished watching the whole thing.  Absolutely brilliant, so much fun.  Thanks, Colin!

pictsy

Howl's Moving Castle

Very good film.  To be expected, really.  Fun and entertaining with quality animation (although maybe not as stunning as a couple of previous Ghibli films).  I liked the ideas and designs and thoroughly enjoyed the film.  Nevertheless something very basic did not click for me - I think it was to do with the general theme of the story - so I won't be rating this as being better than other Ghibli films I've seen.

Theblazeuk

Quote from: pictsy on 16 December, 2013, 07:47:03 PM
Grave of the Fireflies is just heartbreakingly sad.  I've had it on DVD for years but only seen it once as it is far from cheery and can be difficult to watch.

Never rewatched. It's just too sad for me.

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 17 December, 2013, 11:03:07 AM
Quote from: pictsy on 16 December, 2013, 07:47:03 PM

Never rewatched. It's just too sad for me.

Oh god, that film.  :'(  I also have it on DVD, and cannot bring myself to watch it again.  The kids keep asking if they can see it, but I refuse - they're just too young for such distress.

Hawkmumbler

Watched it once. Not again for some time. As you have all pointed out, it's almost like all the joy from every other Ghibli film had to be counter balanced by one, solid block of saddness.

Dandontdare

bloody hell just read the synopsis for Grave of the Fireflies, that is rather grim innit?

Merry Christmas Kiddies!