Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Hawkmumbler

I have to say that the certificate system is boarderline redundant right now as the BBFC seem to be handing out '12's and '15's to some very creepy pieces of work and it seem's that you have to be boardering Hostel level violence to be given an '18'.

JamesC

American Hustle. It was boring.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Finally got around to watching the seventh installment of the Wolverine movies, X-Men: Days of Future Past

I enjoyed it a lot, it had the best showcase of various mutant powers from any of the movies so far. I particularly enjoyed watching Blink think with portals, her variation on the Colussus Fast-Ball Special was lifted straight from the game.

I'm not all that familiar with James McEvoys face, does his nose naturally look like Picards, or is that a prosthetic job?

You may quote me on that.

I, Cosh

Transcendence was like that old episode of Hellblazer (and probably a million others besides) where John's mate uses some sort of magic to send himself through a dial up modem into the ethernet. Only now, computers and the internet are sufficiently well known that you can get a sizable budget and Johnny Depp to appear in this nonsense.

Conversely, Edge of Tomorrow was great fun. Exciting, slightly different sci-fi with some decent action and good laughs along the way. I've not read the book but have sampled the comic and the changes seemed to make sense. Nice that the happy, Hollywood ending still manages to end on a downbeat note.

Top marks for Bill Paxton's hammy drill sergeant.
We never really die.

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: The Cosh on 13 October, 2014, 09:52:12 PM
Conversely, Edge of Tomorrow was great fun. Exciting, slightly different sci-fi with some decent action and good laughs along the way. I've not read the book but have sampled the comic and the changes seemed to make sense. Nice that the happy, Hollywood ending still manages to end on a downbeat note.

Top marks for Bill Paxton's hammy drill sergeant.

No.....but, let me take you back to early last Saturday morning when I rented this film on the Box Office on Optus a few hours earlier and only watched about a few moments of it due to heavy sleep requirements and some loss of interest.

Then I found out later on that I could have only watched it once since Box office only show the film we/you for as long as it lasts and then after a brief twenty minutes of other movie previews and then again and so on until five thirty next morning where your allotted time to watch the film we/you order ends.

So, I ordered the same film later on the same day or the next day (I'm not sure when.) still didn't quite watch all of it and but soon saw most of it in bits n pieces....dribs n drabs, Between whenever I went back to my room to watch parts of it and play games on my preferred computer in another room. 

When ever I d watch this  it seemed like they were kept showing the same footage with Tom Cruise's (Can you believe that is his real Name.) character talking to the drill sergeant Bill Paxton (I was looking at him and thinking is this really the Game Over man from Aliens and has put on some size (I'm not saying weight, but some proportionate solidity!) that must have been taken away from Tom Cruise who seemed like lesser version of usual self. (Was this intentional or something that just happens to people. As he did cut intimidating profile in Jack Reacher and a lot of his previous other work, but not in this film!I just thought it was stange of him to do this and in a action styled film as well.)  in a tent filled with fellow recruits and then getting run over by the truck while trying to successfully roll under it to sneak off and find Emily Blunt (I failed to suppress a razz when I saw her face plastered across the side of passing bus. All serious and all! While I'm all cool with female heroism. (As long as it doesn't hurt my male shovinism.) and getting it right the next time it happened. I just think they got it wrong in this film or maybe she just took her self a bit too seriously and that's adds to the realism, but it doesn't work when you just ant to be entertained! She caught my eye when she let the male lead from Windchill (Another film that was kind of scary in a creepy way, but only when I first watched it on cold lonely night!) warm his frost bitten finger tips after she shoved them within the warmth between the flesh of her stomach and her sweater.) and then deftly avoiding it when he did the same thing next time it happened and this and parts on the battlefield happened over and over again and then this bit where Noah Taylor who I once thought could have been a made a convincing Ukko (As he was the younger version shown with a darker head of hair in Horned God. While the actor's impressive facial hair added some contrast to earlier versions of himself.) Who knew all about these bio-mech time-worms (Was this film paying homage to Slaine : Time-Killer?) all named after me.

Anyway, I wasn't impressed and then I wondered if this film hints at some of the hidden secrets Scientology. I would buy into that, but don't have the money.

I actually would like to go on and describe my adventure in my own home town of Ipswich (It's just boring place for me right now!) late last night after I did some unexpected shopping in K-Mart and brought myself a pair of runners (I'm wearing them right now.), five pairs of sports socks, (Wearing them now too.)  four pairs of undies, (Wearing them now as well!), a Jaws movie poster t-shirt (Still on the floor of my room.) and a Basket-Ball (Sitting beside me and my father thought it may be a Medicine ball when I through it to him earlier this morning, yet it's not quite that heavy.) 

.....and saw the film Dracula Untold.

Untold?

It should have stayed that way or should have been Dracula: Un-shown.

I have some more things to write about this film, but will later after I pay off my GoCard bill.

Theblazeuk

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 13 October, 2014, 01:07:02 PM
I have to say that the certificate system is boarderline redundant right now as the BBFC seem to be handing out '12's and '15's to some very creepy pieces of work and it seem's that you have to be boardering Hostel level violence to be given an '18'.

I think the certification scheme is at its highpoint at the moment. When you dig into the details, the decisions are all made logically and consistently. Actual gore and depiction of extreme violence will always push things up.

Only problem is the American rating system which locks almost everything down to 12.

Grugz

I imagine its hot wearing 5 pairs of socks and four pairs of kecks
don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience!

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,26167.0.html

Recrewt

As someone who grew up during the crazy days of video nasties where they claimed movies could affect dogs as well as humans, we have come some way.

I don't think they were incorrect to grade Annabelle as a 15 as there was very little gore/graphic horror in it.  The baddie was a [spoiler]demon[/spoiler] and most of the scares came from a [spoiler]fear of the dark [/spoiler] type thing.  I just think that the folks who made the movie did a really good job of showing that scary is not the same as gory.

Grugz

watching the xmen first class with my lass we was shocked to see wolvie drop an f bomb ! that would have got a xxx in my day!
don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience!

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,26167.0.html

Theblazeuk

That nearly tipped it a higher classification but they were able to keep it in the end.

shaolin_monkey

Perhaps if Dredd had said 'Drokk!' instead of 'Fuck!' we might have had a 15 film, and more of an audience...?

Nah, I'm dreaming.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 16 October, 2014, 05:36:02 PM
Perhaps if Dredd had said 'Drokk!' instead of 'Fuck!' we might have had a 15 film, and more of an audience...?

Nah, I'm dreaming.
Actualy thats exactly how it works i'm afraid.

Frank

I think the bullets ripping through teenagers' faces in lingering close-up might have had more influence on the censor's decision than Dredd's potty mouth.

I watched Cowboys and Aliens because a guy at my work likes it and we needed something to talk about. S'alright, even if the story is all over the place and doesn't really amount to much, but I mostly enjoyed it just because it was fun to see a cowboy film again. The first 40 minutes play out like a proper Western (a revisionist Western, to be precise), apart from Daniel Craig's snazzy jewellery, and I was sort of bummed when everything goes Independence Day.

I would have liked it better if they'd just called the film Cowboys, and forgotten about the little green fellers who were after their lucky charms.

Eric Plumrose

Quote from: sauchie outbreak on 16 October, 2014, 09:35:29 PM
I would have liked it better if they'd just called the film Cowboys, and forgotten about the little green fellers who were after their lucky charms.

You are Roger Ebert and I . . . need some Vick's VapoRub.
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.