Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 03 February, 2015, 02:42:08 AM
Saw Wolf of Wall Street the other night and again yesterday on cable and thought he should have brought a bigger boat!

Concerning the a well known non - prescribed medication referred to as Ludes (Because, I don't know the correct spelling for it's real name and before I try to Google for it at this moment in time!) that I'm sure was used a lot in the late 60's and early 70's, and judgeing from what I saw of it's effects in the movie.

As the film narrative informed me that this drug was limited supply and very rare by the time this film was set. (I think it's set during the late 80's!) They had stopped making them for some reason, and if you could source any they were rare. So, once their supply ran out, that was it, it was gone.

Even this sounds dumb to to me right now, as any chemist worth their salt could make another batch unless the ingredients were hard to come by as well and there are or were these other drugs called [bUppers, Speed, Aphetamines[/b] which sound like they have a similar effect unless they are more potent and there fore dangerous to take on casual basis.

The effects seem to be the same, they bring you up, they increase you phycial output with out any adverse effects for hours or days and then the side effects kick in that leave them very fucked up for just as long.

There is also a certain thing about a certain kind of woman in very well known profession and how three types of them were described, the latter, and the worse that could be encountered actually looked like healthiest despite what the narrative was telling me. Aside from her very pale complection and excessive make up. Anyway, all three are the same sooner of alter.

Nudge nudge, wink wink...say no more!

Keef Monkey

Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 03 February, 2015, 01:22:16 PM
Saw Wolf of Wall Street the other night and again yesterday on cable and thought he should have brought a bigger boat!
There is also a certain thing about a certain kind of woman in very well known profession and how three types of them were described, the latter, and the worse that could be encountered actually looked like healthiest despite what the narrative was telling me. Aside from her very pale complection and excessive make up. Anyway, all three are the same sooner of alter.

Are you playing that game where you put a word into autocorrect and then just keep hitting space and letting it make sentences for you? It's fun!

Dandontdare

Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 03 February, 2015, 01:22:16 PM

Concerning the a well known non - prescribed medication referred to as Ludes (Because, I don't know the correct spelling for it's real name and before I try to Google for it at this moment in time!) that I'm sure was used a lot in the late 60's and early 70's, and judgeing from what I saw of it's effects in the movie.

As the film narrative informed me that this drug was limited supply and very rare by the time this film was set. (I think it's set during the late 80's!) They had stopped making them for some reason, and if you could source any they were rare. So, once their supply ran out, that was it, it was gone.

Qualudes was the american brand name, they were known in the UK as Mandrax (or "mandies") - hence the Ian Dury lyric:

I bought a lot of brandy
When I was courting Sandy
Took eight to make her randy
And all I had was shandy
Another thing with Sandy
What often came in handy
Was passing her a 'Mandy'
She didn't half go bandy

I, Cosh

Quote from: Dandontdare on 03 February, 2015, 01:35:07 PM
Qualudes was the american brand name, they were known in the UK as Mandrax (or "mandies") - hence the Ian Dury lyric...
I didn't know that and have always been uncertain when I've come across references to it. According to wikipedia, it's where the term disco biscuits comes from and, apparently, "Methaqualone is one of the most commonly used recreational drugs in South Africa." I will have to ask Big Al about this.
We never really die.

Grugz

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 03 February, 2015, 10:53:45 AM
And did you change your mind?

I'm not sure! i'll watch it again from the beginning as I'd missed the first quarter of an hour and see if that helps,it was lovely to look at but confusing...will give it another go.
don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience!

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,26167.0.html

Famous Mortimer

Best Of The Best (all four movies)

The first one is amazing - the most hyper-emotional martial arts movie maybe ever. Part 2 is sort of okay and parts 3 and 4 are pure vanity projects from actor/writer/producer/director Phillip Rhee.

I'm sad now that I've run out of martial arts franchises to watch / review. Actually, there's that Don "The Dragon" Wilson one, but they don't sound too appealing for some reason. Average is bad in my world. The very good and the very bad are what we like.

NapalmKev

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on 08 February, 2015, 10:14:33 AM
I'm sad now that I've run out of martial arts franchises to watch / review.

If you like iffy 80's Martial Arts films how about the American Ninja series. I seem to recall I liked the first 2, but 3 and 4 are a bit shit. In fact the first 2 are probably shit as well, it was a long time ago that I watched them.

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Spikes

True Grit.

Took a couple of viewings to shake loose the memory of the 1969 version, but once freed from that, it is a mighty fine film. And very much a Coen brothers movie*.
Cracking performances abound, though out of the main billed stars, perhaps only Josh Brolin's turn as Tom Chaney doesn't fully click.

Special mention must go to Hailee Steinfeld, as her portrayal as Maddie Ross is superb.
As the 1969 movie starred John Wayne, that film became all about John Wayne. Not a bad thing really, but this tale was always about Maddie Ross.

And in that respect, the ending is very bitter sweet, and poignant.

* As with any Coen brothers film, the Cinematography is to die for, though a couple of SFX's take you out of the film, even if momentarily.
And some of the dialogue is delivered so 'mumbley', that I had to search out the shooting script on-line to make sense of certain section's

ZenArcade

The Cohen brothers True Grit is a mighty film. The casting is perfect as are the set/costume design and the use of only mid nineteenth century vernacular pitched at different levels based on then extant class stratas. I adore that movie. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Colin YNWA

Based on a very fine book too for those who are yet to read it. The Coen Brother's film reallydoes return to the source material rather than the more famous ((?) John Wayne film.

JamesC

The first one is amazing - the most hyper-emotional martial arts movie maybe ever. Part 2 is sort of okay and parts 3 and 4 are pure vanity projects from actor/writer/producer/director Phillip Rhee.

I'm sad now that I've run out of martial arts franchises to watch / review. Actually, there's that Don "The Dragon" Wilson one, but they don't sound too appealing for some reason. Average is bad in my world. The very good and the very bad are what we like.

How about 'They Still Call Me Bruce'?
It's a sort of teen comedy/martial arts film in which a bullied kid is trained to fight by the ghost of Bruce Lee.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

It should be noted that James Earl Jones delivers the line "NO!" even worse than the end of Star Wars prequels
You may quote me on that.

Tiplodocus

THE THREE STOOGES (2012)

Some inspired slapstick and a "has to be seen to be believed" fight with pissing babies had more chuckling quite a lot at this.

There's a good sort of gag about Nuns not ageing and Larry David in a habit.

Throw in Sofia Vergera as very 3 dimensional villain and dadnip and, well, what more do you want?

I didn't realise it was the Farrelly brothers until a funny post credits gag. Though there were plenty of clues.

I suppose with it being a 3 stooges movie, there was no real need for dadnip. Blokes would be willingly going to see it anyway. (At least American ones).
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: NapalmKev on 08 February, 2015, 10:34:27 AM
If you like iffy 80's Martial Arts films how about the American Ninja series. I seem to recall I liked the first 2, but 3 and 4 are a bit shit. In fact the first 2 are probably shit as well, it was a long time ago that I watched them.

Cheers
Already watched and reviewed em. I liked them, ish, and the way it goes from "if you teach a Westerner the art of the ninja, you die" in part 1 to "literally everyone in the world is a ninja" in part 4 is sort of funny.

I decided to go with the 9-film "Bloodfist" series next, after all. The first one's opening credits, as well as listing the actors, gives you their martial arts qualifications as well, which is a first for me. 

Professor Bear

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on 09 February, 2015, 10:18:10 AM
Quote from: NapalmKev on 08 February, 2015, 10:34:27 AM

Cheers
Already watched and reviewed em. I liked them, ish, and the way it goes from "if you teach a Westerner the art of the ninja, you die" in part 1 to "literally everyone in the world is a ninja" in part 4 is sort of funny.

I like how you refuse to acknowledge American Ninja 5.  This is probably for the best.

Martial Law, Martial Law 2 and Martial Outlaw represent a beer+pizza triple-bill of cheapo US head-knocking from the early 90s when directors in the west still knew how to choreograph a punch-up instead of just shaking the camera for three minutes.  Martial Outlaw isn't an official sequel to the first two, but most assume it is because of Jeff Wincott's laughable emotional range that makes his characters identical in all his movies, so I sort of imagine him being the martial arts equivalent of a Les Dennis impersonation.
No Retreat No Surrender is a decent-to-garbage trilogy, Rage and Honor is a decent showcase trilogy for B-movie mainstay and all-round Aussie gent (despite his being typecast in Hong Kong action flicks as villains) Richard Norton and co-star Cynthia Rothrock, who also stars alongside Jalal "WHO?" Merhi in Tiger Caws 1-3, and there are at least four Bloodsport movies to check out, as well as six Universal Soldier films - three of which contradict what happens in the other three for some reason.  I will go ahead and assume you have already done the Police Story and Project A series of films, but the In the Line of Duty series (Yes Madam, Royal Warriors, In the Line of Duty 3, In the Line of Duty 4, Middle Man, Forbidden Arsenal, and Sea Wolves) is also worth a gander for their occasionally spectacular shoestring-budget setpieces, like a fight between a cop and ten or so Triads on the roof - and sides, and front - of an ambulance speeding through Hong Kong traffic.