Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Professor Bear

My true folly was not realising that some things are beyond parody.

Tiplodocus

A lot of us, me included, have been guilty of being less than tolerant to other boarders for various reasons.

But I think we should stop.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

The Legendary Shark

Yes. I have found this thread to be quite disconcerting of late.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Professor Bear

Oh believe me, I am done with that.
Ironically, Steel Dawn actually would make a great Slaine movie but that is neither here nor there.  I am on record as being a huge fan of Swayze's minor B-reel samurai opus and have to confess that I have often wondered "what if they remade this dystopian post-apocalyptic western nowadays, only made it boring as fuck?"
Well apparently Gweneth Paltrow's little brother and me are on the same page, because he's only gone and done just that with Young Ones, only he's somehow managed to ramp up the boredom and scoop out the occasional interesting idea that Steel Dawn presented, particularly its ambiguously-motivated characters.  Young Ones seems more concerned with a morality fable played out through panto characters, and far more importantly nobody spends five minutes kicking people in the head.  Disappointing.

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 27 May, 2015, 09:18:35 PM
Sorceress is another film I recall. I know because there were these female twins in it. It was on video nearly thirty years ago today and I have very vividly recollections of their on screen nudity missed with violence.

Before watching this film again, I remember the twins were famous for their skill in Arrow-Cutting (Plucking arrows out of the air before they reach there mark!)

Quote from: Lesbian SeagullIronically, Steel Dawn actually would make a great Slaine movie but that is neither here nor there.

I have this film in my dvd collection.I was going cheap, so I brought it. Remembering, the lead henchman reminded me a lot of how much I thought he looked like [b[Slaine[/b] was going by initial appearances alone. 

He also had unique sounding voice as well. Of course, I'm more inclined to look beyond this similarity.

NapalmKev

Dark City: Great film saw it when it was first released. On rewatching I was surprised by many comparisons with the (much later) Matrix Trilogy.

Kingsman: Excellent spy romp full of laughs and absolutely mental fight scenes.

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Hawkmumbler

David Lynch's Dune is on Horror Channel. First time i've seen it in years....boy it sure is....something.

Professor Bear

Left Behind, The Nicolas Cage one.

Fuck.

Dandontdare

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 29 May, 2015, 10:15:30 PM
David Lynch's Dune is on Horror Channel. First time i've seen it in years....boy it sure is....something.

Just watched the second half of this - I've got a huge soft spot for this film, but it could've been so much better. You can't fault the design work, and I think the casting is great, but the direction, choice of scenes and so many decisions about how certain bits should be filmed are pants.

The Legendary Shark

Finally got around to the cinema for Age of Ultron and enjoyed every minute of it. James Spader was an inspired choice to voice Ultron and had all the best lines, including the hilarious off-screen, "Oh, for God's sake." Great stuff!
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

inkymonkey

Quote from: NapalmKev on 29 May, 2015, 09:16:08 AM
Dark City: Great film saw it when it was first released. On rewatching I was surprised by many comparisons with the (much later) Matrix Trilogy.

Kingsman: Excellent spy romp full of laughs and absolutely mental fight scenes.

Cheers

Ha! I worked on Dark City - the Australian producer on that, Andrew Mason was wandering through the art department one day with a script under his arm.  We asked him whether it was any good - he shrugged and muttered something about two American brothers who were pestering him to do it, but he was worried the director of Dark City would find too many parallels and get pissed off.

Well, he ended up producing it, and the director of Dark City DID get pissed off..! They haven't worked together again since. And that final battle in Matrix Revolutions is weirdly close in scale and style to the original final battle in Dark City, before budgetary issues caused it to be scaled back... Hmmm.

von Boom

As much of a let down this film is, it's also one of my favourites. If the de Laurentiises could have kept their fingers out of it and then the studio let Lynch show his four hour cut we might have witnessed something great.

Keef Monkey

Watched Hellraiser: Revelations. Wow. Actually fascinating in its awfulness. Reading up on how it was made was more interesting than the film (knocked together in a fortnight for no reason other than to prevent the rights lapsing) and helps the whole sorry affair make sense. Even Doug Bradley knocked it back, and the Pinhead they end up with really drives home just how fantastic Bradley is in the role. This guy looks...fat. And he's putting on a silly voice that's quite mad.

I really do find catastrophes like this quite mesmerising, so really enjoyed it in a perverse way. Also on the plus side this is the last one (currently) so I finally have a sense of closure. No more please.

IAMTHESYSTEM

Quote from: von Boom on 30 May, 2015, 01:39:25 PM
As much of a let down this film is, it's also one of my favourites. If the de Laurentiises could have kept their fingers out of it and then the studio let Lynch show his four hour cut we might have witnessed something great.

Extended cut with some added or deleted scenes. A voice over explaining in more detail various aspects of the DUNE universe has been added and the films 'thought quotes' remain which is infinitely annoying. Why don't they remove these thoughts and just let the Movie do the talking? Er, it would make even less sense is probably why. Anyway for Dune fans and anyone else here it is. It is rough and in one point the same entry scene, where Gurney, DR Yueh and the Mentat first encounter Paul is repeated so you can get some info on the three. Bit clumsy but this sin't a professional re cut but a fan's labour of love. 

https://vimeo.com/54644338
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

von Boom

Quote from: IAMTHESYSTEM on 31 May, 2015, 12:01:19 PM
Quote from: von Boom on 30 May, 2015, 01:39:25 PM

Extended cut with some added or deleted scenes. A voice over explaining in more detail various aspects of the DUNE universe has been added and the films 'thought quotes' remain which is infinitely annoying. Why don't they remove these thoughts and just let the Movie do the talking? Er, it would make even less sense is probably why. Anyway for Dune fans and anyone else here it is. It is rough and in one point the same entry scene, where Gurney, DR Yueh and the Mentat first encounter Paul is repeated so you can get some info on the three. Bit clumsy but this sin't a professional re cut but a fan's labour of love. 

https://vimeo.com/54644338

Thanks for the link! This isn't on fanedit anymore as far as I can tell.