Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ming

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 04 November, 2015, 07:54:27 AM
Jurassic Park ripped that whole 'gene splicing to make dinosaurs to make a theme park' from the Cursed Earth saga anyway (almost word for word - go have a look!) so all arguments are moot.

And the Cursed Earth never ripped off anything, nosirree...  ;)

Quote from: ming on 07 November, 2013, 02:56:20 PM
Well if we're dragging out plotting 'influences' and the like, here's the plot outline from Roger Zelazny's  1969 novel, Damnation Alley, lifted from Wikipedia (bits in italics are mine, obviously).  I'm sure you're all aware of this old chestnut but it always tickles me....

"The story opens in a post-apocalyptic Southern California [Mega-City Two], in a hellish world shattered by nuclear war decades before [Atom Wars]. Several police states have emerged in place of the former United States [Judges]. Hurricane-force winds above five hundred feet prevent any sort of air travel from one state to the next [The Death Belt], and sudden, violent, and unpredictable storms make day-to-day life a mini-hell. Hell Tanner [Spikes Harvey Rotten], an imprisoned killer [criminal biker], is offered a full pardon in exchange for taking on a suicide mission - a drive through "Damnation Alley" [The Cursed Earth] across a ruined America from Los Angeles to Boston [east coast to west coast] - as one of three vehicles attempting to deliver an urgently needed plague vaccine [K2001 Land Raider, Killdozer; 2T(Fru)T vaccine]."

Keef Monkey

Quote from: radiator on 03 November, 2015, 08:11:30 PM

I don't think anyone (except you  ;)) has ever watched Jurassic Park and came away wondering about the Triceratops. It's a totally incidental thing.

This. Have seen the film many times and the fate of the Triceratops has never crossed my mind to be honest! Never saw it as anything other than a (really very effective) tonal shift in the film, a bit of a tipping point.

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: ming on 04 November, 2015, 08:48:10 AM
Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 04 November, 2015, 07:54:27 AM
Jurassic Park ripped that whole 'gene splicing to make dinosaurs to make a theme park' from the Cursed Earth saga anyway (almost word for word - go have a look!) so all arguments are moot.

And the Cursed Earth never ripped off anything, nosirree...  ;)

Quote from: ming on 07 November, 2013, 02:56:20 PM
Well if we're dragging out plotting 'influences' and the like, here's the plot outline from Roger Zelazny's  1969 novel, Damnation Alley, lifted from Wikipedia (bits in italics are mine, obviously).  I'm sure you're all aware of this old chestnut but it always tickles me....

"The story opens in a post-apocalyptic Southern California [Mega-City Two], in a hellish world shattered by nuclear war decades before [Atom Wars]. Several police states have emerged in place of the former United States [Judges]. Hurricane-force winds above five hundred feet prevent any sort of air travel from one state to the next [The Death Belt], and sudden, violent, and unpredictable storms make day-to-day life a mini-hell. Hell Tanner [Spikes Harvey Rotten], an imprisoned killer [criminal biker], is offered a full pardon in exchange for taking on a suicide mission - a drive through "Damnation Alley" [The Cursed Earth] across a ruined America from Los Angeles to Boston [east coast to west coast] - as one of three vehicles attempting to deliver an urgently needed plague vaccine [K2001 Land Raider, Killdozer; 2T(Fru)T vaccine]."

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah, conveniently forgot about that!  DAMN YOU BRAIN!!!   :D

TordelBack

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 04 November, 2015, 09:24:42 AM
Quote from: radiator on 03 November, 2015, 08:11:30 PM

I don't think anyone (except you  ;)) has ever watched Jurassic Park and came away wondering about the Triceratops. It's a totally incidental thing.

This. Have seen the film many times and the fate of the Triceratops has never crossed my mind to be honest! Never saw it as anything other than a (really very effective) tonal shift in the film, a bit of a tipping point.

Voight-Kampff test fails all round, I think!

You see a triceratops on its side in the jungle.  A park ranger is trying to help it.  Rather than pondering the cause of its illness, you decide it represents a tonal shift in the film.

Could you come with me now, please?  Your series is being retired.

NapalmKev

I thought that the Triceratops illness was explained by the fact that it ate plants that weren't naturally in it's diet. If that is the case then they really didn't need to say anything else on the subject as that in and of itself highlights that "Shit will go down, man!"

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

TordelBack

Ah, see, you were paying attention too Kev!  They thought it was the berries except that the dinosaurs didn't eat them, and Ellie couldn't find any evidence in the Trike's dung, or why she was only sick once a month or so...  In the book, they do find the berry seeds in the dung - the poor old girl was eating them accidentally when replenishing her gastroliths.  A perfect example of incompatible species and habitat.  So in the film it's just a nonsense problem without a solution, despite the whole situation being set out.

Dark Jimbo

In 1995 my mum let me bring a friend with us to one of our very rare cinema trips (we couldn't afford to go more than twice, maybe three times, a year) - the film was Toy Story, and afterwards we went for pizza. That was a pretty good day. Twenty years later(!!) I've finally seen the sequel. Toy Story 2 honestly isn't anywhere near as good, as groundbreaking, as life-afirming as the first, but it's a pretty darn good film in its own right. What really struck me was how much I'd missed spending time with these characters without really knowing it.

I'll be back around 2035 when I get around to seeing TS3..![/latetotheparty]
@jamesfeistdraws

Theblazeuk

It's probably TS1, TS3, TS2.

CrazyFoxMachine

Yeah TS2 nearly destroyed Pixar (and was accidentally nearly destroyed) - it was made under massive pressure in far too little time to fit with Disney's "sequelpocalypse" of the late 90s/early 00s (now Disney's "liveactionremakepocalypse"). It's a testament to the sheer blinding talent of that lot that it still functions very well as a film. I wonder how TS4 will fare in the scheme of things - the multitudinous shorts since TS3 have all been quite good and are well worth seeking out. Do get on to all that DJ I was five years late to the party and really regretted avoiding it for so long!

NapalmKev

Fast and Furious. Yes, the first time of seen it in its entirety. Horseshit plot, wooden acting and a massive dollop of Vin Cheese-el.

Proper Crap!

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Professor Bear

I pity the fool who views early Fast & Furious movies with a mind to taking them seriously.

von Boom

Spectre. Tedious and uninteresting. Seeing Craig groping the lovely Monica Bellucci was off-putting. M and Q were far more entertaining and relevant to the plot.

IAMTHESYSTEM

Terminator :Genisys. Fifth and probably the last in the Terminator series see's a younger cast Jai Courtney, Emilia Clark, Jason Clarke plus Arnie try to breathe life in a tired franchise. They do try even though the time travel story has plenty of plot holes and Arnold really looks old in this but it does take it's lead from the Cameron 1984 classic with some homage moments and the first Terminator to target them, a shape shifting alloy git stalked them mercilessly. You all know the main twist by now about John Connor and if it hadn't been flagged by the Trailer I'd have been surprised. Matt Smith appears briefly as[spoiler] Skynet [/spoiler]but doesn't have much to do really though the nod to [spoiler]killer apps[/spoiler] helping to destroy mankind was very topical. I doubt they'll be another Terminator Movie for a while despite the [spoiler]Marvel type reveal at the credits end. [/spoiler]
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

TordelBack

Revenge of the Sith. We're doing an all-6 family rewatch in the run up to TFA.

Y'know RotS isn't quite as bad a film as I remember it, I was thinking, right up to the last 20 minutes when it turns into F***ING DOGSHIT and basically ruins the whole saga in a handful of execrable scenes the insipid conception and pathetic execution of which dwarf the failings of any dozen exchanges about midichlorians, fart jokes, lengthy condemnations of sand or plenary sessions on taxation of trade routes.

People hate the wrong prequel, let me tell you.

God damn the ending of this film makes me genuinely angry. It's the only real beef I have with Lucas, and it's a serious one. What the actual f**k was he thinking.

Batman's Superior Cousin

Quote from: von Boom on 08 November, 2015, 02:37:38 PM
Spectre. Tedious and uninteresting. Seeing Craig groping the lovely Monica Bellucci was off-putting. M and Q were far more entertaining and relevant to the plot.

This, TBH
I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night