Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Knight

Steve mate. I totally agree with you in regard to Full Metal Jacket. You not the only one whos changed his mind

Rately

I'll definitely have to rewatch Full Metal Jacket to see if i come away sharing the same feelings.

I've seen it a handful of times over the years, and my interest always wanes once they're out of training. That opening part of the movie is just so brilliantly executed, the music and atmosphere, especially in the closing moments when Private Pyle is confronted by the drill Sargeant are just absolutely amazing, due to the sense of dread and the coldness of the way the scene is shot. The music alone sets the scene perfectly.

Keef Monkey

I might need to do the same, because being honest, while the first half of the movie is burned into my brain I honestly can remember very, very little about the second half. Doesn't help that anytime I've stumbled on the movie on TV I've watched up to the end of the training section and then turned over, so it could be I just haven't given it enough of a chance. The first half is a fantastic standalone film in its own right really, and quite emotionally gruelling, so I feel done by the halfway point.

Satanist

Full Metal Jacket has about 5 of my top 10 movie insults in its first half so its always gonna have a place in my top films ever. "You climb that obstacle like old people fuck" is a particular favourite. Soundtrack is also cracking.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Hawkmumbler

Apoclypse Now (1979, dir. F.F.Capola), or, as I like to call it, 1 and a half hours of Capola showing us how thrivelus and derivitive the Vietnam war was and, you guessed it, the Americans ruined it all...

...Followed by puppies and visions of hell.

I do like this movie, as the psychologically destructive movie of the 'Nam subgenre, that  whilst conveying some really gorgeous battle scenes also highlights the obvious. No one really knows why they're fighting, and whilst a few try to paint it as a grand old picnic in reality it's hell on earth.

Theblazeuk

Platoon is the best Vietnam movie.

FMJ is second.

Apocalypse Now is overrated and drags on just like the Godfather does.

Discuss :P

Steven Denton

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 06 September, 2016, 04:00:17 PM
Apoclypse Now (1979, dir. F.F.Capola), or, as I like to call it, 1 and a half hours of Capola showing us how thrivelus and derivitive the Vietnam war was and, you guessed it, the Americans ruined it all...

...Followed by puppies and visions of hell.

I do like this movie, as the psychologically destructive movie of the 'Nam subgenre, that  whilst conveying some really gorgeous battle scenes also highlights the obvious. No one really knows why they're fighting, and whilst a few try to paint it as a grand old picnic in reality it's hell on earth.

The Redux version is truly abysmal. But I like Apocalypse now as an action/Adventure film posing as art. King Solomon's Nervous Breakdown. 

Hawkmumbler

ALICE (1988, dir Jan Svankmajer) is a resoundingly delightful movie, just marvelous in it's effortless charm and whimsey, and a real triumph for stop motion animation and czech film making. Though I do question it's ability to entertain a western childs audience, the puppets in question have a certain...creepy charm to them.

sheridan

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 06 September, 2016, 05:33:51 PM
ALICE (1988, dir Jan Svankmajer) is a resoundingly delightful movie, just marvelous in it's effortless charm and whimsey, and a real triumph for stop motion animation and czech film making. Though I do question it's ability to entertain a western childs audience, the puppets in question have a certain...creepy charm to them.
I think I've seen that one, either on BBC2 or Channel 4 - it didn't strike me as being for children at all, more like a creepy pseudo-horror for adults.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: sheridan on 06 September, 2016, 06:01:28 PM
I think I've seen that one, either on BBC2 or Channel 4 - it didn't strike me as being for children at all, more like a creepy pseudo-horror for adults.
Rated PG by the BBFC and it's apparently a regular christmas TV events in Poland and Holland...

Frank

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 06 September, 2016, 02:14:09 PM
being honest, while the first half of the movie is burned into my brain I honestly can remember very, very little about the second half

You were a teenage boy in the early nineties, and me so horny, me love you long time isn't seared onto your neural topography?

"All I ask of my men is that they obey my orders as they would the word of god"

"Sir, the Jungian thing, Sir. The duality of man"

"We've got to keep our heads until this peace craze blows over
"

"Who's the leader of the gang that's great for you and me? M-I-C, K-E-Y, M-O-U, S-E"

That whole last scene with the sniper is a movie in itself. The dynamics and atmosphere are incredible; better than any proper action movie or war film I've ever seen.

Link Prime

Sounds really interesting, and also rings a bell of familiarity with me.
BFI Blu-ray is only 9 quid on Amazon, I'll take a punt.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 06 September, 2016, 06:05:20 PM
Rated PG by the BBFC and it's apparently a regular christmas TV events in Poland and Holland...

I first saw it maaany years ago, when C4 screened it in 15 minute chunks daily over the Christmas week. It made quite an impression!

(A quick google reveals that C4 actually commissioned it with the intention that it could be screened both episodically and as a feature-length film.)
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Dandontdare

A certain creepy charm? That hare stitching itself together while it's guts leak out freaked the hell out of me, and I was 21!

Michael Knight

Convoy! Still as great as I remember watching with my Dad as a kid lol  :)