Main Menu

Things that went over your head...

Started by ming, 09 January, 2012, 11:00:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Funt Solo

I'll see your Estevez and raise you a Frank Beard.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Definitely Not Mister Pops

So is this guy really called Miguel Estevez?
You may quote me on that.

JayzusB.Christ

That bit in Halo Jones where Rodice says that if she were to get a tattoo on her stomach, it would say 'this way up'... That's a shagging joke, isn't it? Possibly the prog's first one ever.  I didn't get it - I was nine.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Hawkmumbler

Depressing to know even in the far flung future, the most imaginative most people can seemingly be is missionary.

Funt Solo

If it was pointing up, then it wouldn't be missionary.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

The Legendary Shark

I always thought it was either a drinking too much reference and/or a helpful hint for alien medics.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Funt Solo [R] on 30 January, 2024, 07:18:53 PMIf it was pointing up, then it wouldn't be missionary.

You'se right! Had to check my copy of HJ when I got home, remembered the design wrong.

There may be some hope after all.

nxylas

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 30 January, 2024, 06:33:17 PMThat's a shagging joke, isn't it? Possibly the prog's first one ever.
I'd argue that honour possibly goes to the first episode of Robo-Hunter, where a beautiful woman asks Sam Slade if there's anything she can do to thank him, and Sam replies "careful honey, I might tell you". Though aged 10 or 11, I probably would have interpreted that as meaning kissing or whatever.
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Funt Solo [R] on 30 January, 2024, 07:18:53 PMIf it was pointing up, then it wouldn't be missionary.

Hang on. I'm confused now. Do 'this way up' stencils usually go on the tops of boxes or on the sides? I can't remember now.

Of course, Tharg's Head Revisited, possibly mentioned earlier in this thread, went all in with the innuendo, and even made a joke about the c-word.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Funt Solo

Here, I shall demonstrate!  :-[

Moving on...

(Also: Missionary Man! Eh? Eh? A nod's as good as a wink to a blind bat!)
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Funt Solo

Not proud, but I may have found the earliest nether-reference:

[I await my Squaxx dek Finbarr.]
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Dash Decent

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 12 January, 2024, 04:06:58 PMI always said Souther like mother too

Man, JBC, this Rogue Trooper movie news is the best news ever!  But if they run around saying "South-er" all the time, I think I'm going to be gritting my teeth a lot. :lol:
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

JayzusB.Christ

I hadn't thought of that! Maybe they'll adopt the Friday model and forget to call them Norts and Southers till the 4th movie in the series.

Krill tro Saunders awarded to Funt for his fine efforts.

JayzusB.Christ

I've just realised that the 'slay-stack' in Sláine (The Wickerman) is probably a play on 'haystack'.

Also I learned on QI that the ancient Greeks had a type of comedian or jester called a 'parasitas' or something, which translated into 'parasite'.  And I thought Pat Mills invented the job title for Ukko to reflect his general unpleasantness.

rogue69

I was just reading the other day that Ukko was a Indo-European God of the Sky, Thunder, Lightning & Harvest in the same vain as Thor in Norse Mythology
Ukko is also held as the most significant god of Finnish mythology & is Finnish for 'male grandparent', 'grandfather'& 'old man"

Not quite the Ukko we all know and love