Main Menu

Hello from North Dorset!

Started by Le Fink, 01 March, 2023, 08:27:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Le Fink

Hello! I've got back into 2000ad having lapsed in the early 1990s. Have been browsing the forum for a bit, thought I'd join in.

I think I started reading the prog mid-80s. Highlights being Zenith, Slaine (Fabry's, Power's and Bisley's), and Dredd during the Oz (loved B McCarthy's episodes), Necropolis and Democracy runs. Plus read a lot of the best of monthlies, with Halo Jones, classic Dredd, Rogue Trooper, Slaine (McMahon, Belardinelli, Fabry, Pugh), the VCs. Good times!

I also remember Scream, the Eagle (Doomlord?), and later on Toxic! (The Driver, Bogie Man, Marshal Law), Revolver, and I must have collected all of Crisis (loved Baikie on John Smith's New Statesman). Think I stopped reading on leaving school and going to Uni. Got into Dark Horse comics at some point, DH Presents, enjoyed the various Alien, Terminator, The Thing and Predator comic spinoffs.

The Hachette collections brought me back in , started buying the ultimate collection, then noticed the JD Mega Collection, bought most of that and caught up on much of what I've missed out on! A lot of it absolutely brilliant. At the same time started the joint prog/Meg subscription. Dredd, Brink and Lawless my fave contemporary thrills.

I've done a couple of art stars submissions, one being 'le fink' in the Angel Gang one, hence the user name. How else do you choose a user name? Discuss. Anyway, nice to meet you!

Jon

JohnW

Welcome to the forum, Jon (or should that be Monsieur le Fink?)
You've come on a quiet day, but things might get livelier once the old-timers sober up.
Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!

Le Fink

Quote from: JWare on 01 March, 2023, 08:35:07 PM(or should that be Monsieur le Fink?)
Thanks JW... that does sound good, I might need to change my username already!

Trooper McFad

Welcome Le Fink

Enjoy the banter and join in. As you have had the confidence to submit entries to the Art Stars then I expect a submission to the boards Advent thread come December (please please pretty please 😁)
Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

JohnW

For Trooper McFad, every day is Christmas!
Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!

Trooper McFad

I have Jingle bells in my head as I type 🎅🏻

Le Fink

Le Fink

Where would the Advent thread be found Trooper McFad? I'm not familiar with all the ins and outs of the forum yet.

Trooper McFad

The "dates" thread gets posted at the end of November and you pick any date(1st come basis) then in December you post your submission on the date you picked on a submission thread. And the rest of the boarders can comment on the "comments" thread.
If you want to see what it's all about You can find last year's calendar under "General" chat and 2nd page and about 1/2 way down- sorry I don't know how to post the links

Le Fink

JohnW

You've got your hook in the new guy, Trooper!
Reel him in easy now!

Trooper McFad

The Legendary Shark

Welcome to the Cult of the Blessed Advent boards, Le Fink.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

broodblik

Welcome aboard. I think must of us started reading in the 80s stopped in the 90s but the only difference is when you got back on the horse. The nice thing is you have a lot to catch-up and enjoy
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Le Fink

Yes, new to me in the Hachette Ultimate collection:

Dante, Zombo, Shakara, Kingdom, SinDex, Stickleback, Aquila, Cabalistics, Absolom, Ampney C, Savage, Ichabod, Red Seas, Lobster R, 10 seconders, Brink, Greysuit, Jaiger, Grey Area, Defoe, the Order, Cradlegrave, Brass Sun, Returners, Blunt, Leviathan, Scarlet Traces, Age of the Wolf

That's new thrills for around the 30 years I've been progless (Have I missed many notables?). I guess the classic characters - Dredd, Slaine, Rogue, ABC Warriors, Strontium Dog, have done a lot of heavy lifting.

I wonder how the collection sales are split into
- returners in their middle years like me
- long term readers looking for hardbacks of beloved stories
- newcomers