Main Menu

Judge Dredd: Mega-City One - TV show announced!

Started by Jim_Campbell, 10 May, 2017, 05:10:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ABCwarBOT

Quote from: SIP on 16 May, 2017, 06:57:49 AM
Quote from: A.Cow on 16 May, 2017, 04:04:12 AM
Quote from: ABCwarBOT on 16 May, 2017, 03:38:12 AM
And whose saying I get to tell anyone what Dredd should or shouldn't be?   Ever heard of something called an opinion?

Don't worry, ABCwarBOT -- you haven't done anything wrong.  Everybody here gets a bit tired & emotional when it comes to Dredd appearing on-screen.  Blows are exchanged and apologies usually handed-out afterwards.

Probably not though. It's not that ABCwarBOT is not entitled to have an opinion, of course he is (assuming a "he"), it's the generally aggressive and condescending way that it's been communicated to other forum members that has been the problem.

You can also appreciate that it's obviously going to be inflammatory for a self confessed casual reader (and no offence is implied in that statement) to turn up and appear to start telling the 40-year crowd exactly how Dredd should be done right. It would be fair to say ABCWARBOT that you are preaching to an audience that include people who have pretty much read EVERY Dredd story ever published. It doesn't make us right, because there is no "right" (see my earlier Rants on not listening to fans!), but im sure that you can understand why it might get people's backs up.

Let's get back to the far more important chain links problem.......Ron Smith drew loads! 😊

I don't remember being condascending and aggressive (you should have seen some peoples aggressive reactions to me when I first came on here).    I was accused of being 'you know who' because I said I wasn't fussed on the Lawmaster, uniform and a few other things.   Even though I've often said Dredd was still a good film.

As for being a casual fan well I've still bought many comics over the years and have issue 1 all the way up to 219 plus many issues after that.   I still know a lot about Dredd and that the character is still pretty much the same as when he started. 

And the early 70s comics are the main Dredd for me.   That's where it all started and that's what I mainly need.  I don't need to read every issue right up to the latest date in 2017.  I bet there's a lot of repetition and it's very hard to keep things original and fresh after so many issues.   Again I have bought issues right up until very recently -- just not every week or month.

ABCwarBOT

Quote from: A.Cow on 16 May, 2017, 04:04:12 AM
Quote from: ABCwarBOT on 16 May, 2017, 03:38:12 AM
And whose saying I get to tell anyone what Dredd should or shouldn't be?   Ever heard of something called an opinion?

Don't worry, ABCwarBOT -- you haven't done anything wrong.  Everybody here gets a bit tired & emotional when it comes to Dredd appearing on-screen.  Blows are exchanged and apologies usually handed-out afterwards.

Thanks.   I suppose it's inevitable when people have ideas of what they want to see on screen.   

ABCwarBOT

Quote from: Pete Wells on 16 May, 2017, 09:02:53 PM
Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 16 May, 2017, 07:40:13 PM
Lots of great plotlines which could be followed, such as Orlok infiltrating the city, Hershey in her last few months/years at the Academy, Cal's descent into madness, Call-Me-Kenneth's rise to dissatisfied sentience, oh Lordy!

I love ALL of those ideas Sharky!

Yes interesting ideas.    The potential for this series could be very large and could other 2000AD characters end up in it too like Marvel's shared universe?   

I'd like to see Ro Busters in it also.   

PsychoGoatee

Quote from: Richard on 16 May, 2017, 10:52:48 PM
Trying to adapt Judge Cal would kill the series.

They could pull it off on a later season if they wanted, while changing things a bit. Would be pretty similar to Joffrey on Game of Thrones ruling in some ways, since that character is also inspired by Caligula.

That sort of thing where a huge arc encompasses much or all of a season probably wouldn't be what the first couple years would go for, but I'll take anything they want to do.  :) I like the ideas people posted about building up some things along the way.

The Legendary Shark

I would include Cal from the beginning,  as a stomm-hot SJS judge on the fast track to promotion, his mental problems increasing along with his success. He wouldn't get to be Chief Judge until season six or seven...
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Pete Wells

Yeah, that's what I'd assumed. I hope the series does a Wagner by planting the seeds and playing the long game.

For example, in an earlier post, I said I'd love to see the rise of PJ Maybe but again, I'd want this to be slow. An innocuous, murdrous kid gets away with a few distinctive killings in an episode in S1, the audience know who the killer but the cast doesn't. Someone else does time for his crimes, much to his advantage.  Similar deaths alluded to across season 1 then in season 2 we see him a bit older, maybe studying politics at MCU, bumping a few classmates/political folk off. Again, the judges get tantalisingly close but fudge the investigation due to PJ's cunning.

So on and on until he's extremely powerful both socially and politically and can/does have a genuine effect on the running of the Justice Dept. I think the series needs ambition like this - I want to see a million click bait articles getting the public guessing about the motivations of such and such in Dredd. Generate that hype and ensure that seasons are renewed to continue the arcs of exciting bit players.

Gruddamn, we've been lucky as comic readers haven't we? The rise of PJ was just wonderfully handled by Mr Wagner. Right until the last couple of strips, I was even kinda rooting for the diabolical little prick! It's great on the rare occasions when someone gets one over on Dredd (Chopper, Sardini) and PJ's personal sacrifices in terms of his constant body swaps, surgery etc always made me just sympathetic enough to care a little for him.

I'd also said I want to see Mechanismo, but again, this would be a loooong way down the line.

Pete Wells

Last thing, I promise!

I hope they don't arrest Dredd possibly at all, if not a long way into it. It's a lazy trope that the Stallone movie blundered straight into and the first ever Big Finish audio drama kicked off with. Yes, we know Dredd is motivated by the law and by stripping him of that adds an element of drama, but it just makes the Justice dept look stupid.  I hope they can resist!

I would, however, love to see the SJS at work, maybe with a young schemer like Cal at the head. He/she could remove people that mean a lot to Dredd and the audience and be a real thorn in Dredd's side, pulling many strings in the background. Imagine the shock of seeing a popular, Giant-esque  character sentenced to Titan for something we all know they didn't do. Sinfield was great in this role, I'd like to see a similar interdepartment threat in the show...

hazy efc

Quote from: ZenArcade on 16 May, 2017, 05:27:13 PM
I gotta say I'm shocked by how 'casual' 'Mega-City One - TV show announced!' posters like hazy efc just appear on here after what.....nearly 28 pages posting about Urban.  Bah the cheek.  Z  ;)
To be fair mate I did hear something over the weekend about the new TV show but after the whole Dredd sequel headache I didn't even bother to check out whether the TV show was an actual thing my hopes have been dashed enough in the past😢, but the TV show is actually happening so all's good in the world 👍

IndigoPrime

On arresting Dredd, quite a few things don't work unless you have the foundations set first. Fans often clamour for Death but he makes no sense without knowledge of Dredd, and nor do things like Mechanismo, Cal and 'doubts' about the system. As noted, this was the key problem with the Stallone film – there's no drama in Dredd being arrested within a few minutes. In season six of a TV show though...

Greg M.

Quote from: Pete Wells on 17 May, 2017, 07:27:33 AM
Sinfield was great in this role, I'd like to see a similar interdepartment threat in the show...

I think Judge Edgar would be ideal for this sort of thing - an ambiguous nemesis who doesn't pose a physical threat but is ruthlessly manipulative.

PsychoGoatee

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 17 May, 2017, 08:36:18 AM
On arresting Dredd, quite a few things don't work unless you have the foundations set first. Fans often clamour for Death but he makes no sense without knowledge of Dredd, and nor do things like Mechanismo, Cal and 'doubts' about the system. As noted, this was the key problem with the Stallone film – there's no drama in Dredd being arrested within a few minutes. In season six of a TV show though...

Death can work, since having out of nowhere crazy things happen is the status quo in the comics. I wouldn't put it near the beginning of the first season, but as a two parter that stands alone, would be memorable. Maybe season 2.

Since Judge Death wasn't intended to make conventional sense when he first appeared, he came out of nowhere and it was like nothing they had encountered. Though with the show they could add some more foreshadowing, maybe Anderson having a couple visions in prior episodes.

Richard

Richard

QuoteI bet there's a lot of repetition and it's very hard to keep things original and fresh after so many issues.
How would you know?

dweezil2

Quote from: Richard on 17 May, 2017, 09:16:26 AM
QuoteI bet there's a lot of repetition and it's very hard to keep things original and fresh after so many issues.
How would you know?

Claire Voyance here!  :)
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

IAMTHESYSTEM

I don't think they'll be any robots, mutants or aliens as they're expensive to make and this is a TV show. Budgets must limit the scale inevitably till it's judged a success. Still, that leaves plenty of storylines available to the creators and it's more than likely they have their own ideas since they'd hardly take on the expense of producing a TV series without some game plan in mind. 
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla