Main Menu

PS3 or 360?

Started by mogzilla, 11 May, 2008, 03:17:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mogzilla

may be in line to get next gen...but cant decide which to go for...still worried about the ring of death for the xbox....any advice?

Bongo Jack

360 for the low cost probably makes more sense for a next-gen newbie.  PS3 is more of a purchase for the long game - it's usually only after a year or two that Sony machines start to come into their own as developers figure out how to code games for them (360 being more of a low/mid-range PC in its machine-gizzards), plus firmware is updated every so often with new video codecs for MP3 playback, so it's probably worth not getting a PS3 until this has happened a few more times and the machine's a bit more impressive.  The shop should have a lot more stuff you can download by then, too.
360 has had a head start on PS3, and thus has a few exclusives, a decent-sized second-hand catalogue, and the chances of getting GTA4 are quite good, as they pressed 3 times as many copies for the 360 as they did for the PS3, and my local gaming emporium has yet to sell out of 360 copies.  Even if you do get ring of death, they fix the machine and send it back to you quite quickly, and it probably won't happen for months anyway.  You might even find a 360 second-hand that's already been fixed if you look around.
Live forever or die trying

Keef Monkey

Yeah, I'd go for 360, very happy with mine.

opaque

I guess it depends if you think having a blu-ray player is a massive + or you don't care atall.

Peter Wolf

[There have been so many threads about this already]

Anyway being in the same situation unless i go for the cheap option and buy an XBOX i have to say that i would go for a 360 as i am not interested in Blue Ray in the slightest.

Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

Jared Katooie

Roger Godpleton

I'm riding with my boy Billy G for lyfe.

There's an awesome pre-owned sale at Game now BTW. Yesterday I got Bioshock and the Darkness for under £30.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Martin Jameson

I spent a good while dithering over which one to buy before settling on a PS3.

Although they both seem good a few things swung it for me, one was the built in wireless - an extra cost on the 360, plus I'm only a really casual games player these days (no more time or energy for the marathon sessions of a few years ago)and I wanted the media side of the console too.

I have few blu-ray discs that I got with my laptop so that helped make my mind up as well as a psp which can connect to it (for films etc).

From what I can gather the 360 has a much better online experience for the time being but I can cope with what I got - it does cod4 ok.

At the end of the day though I wouldn't have been too dissapointed with either.

Satanist

I'm buying a PS3 today. I really dont think its got as good a line up as 360 but I still want one.

Then again I bought an Atari Jaguar when it came out so what the hell do I know?

Mmmm...Tempest.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Banners

If you're that much of a Tempest fan, you can get it on Xbox Live for the 360...

M@

Satanist

Getting online is my next move. Just moved house so still loads of stuff to fix before that. On Live the arcade games I fancy are Space Giraffe(?) and New Pacman.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Something Fishy

360 then PS3 later.

There was a really long thread of late about all this. loads of opinions there.

Something Fishy

360's innards aren't really like a mid-range PC.

It's a triple core 6 hardware thread based power PC CPU (not found in PC's) and custom GPU.

The suff being show right now shows that, just like PS3, it continues to be pushed and deliver better results.

Both are powerful both will stay neck and neck this gen and it just comes down to what games you want I reckon.

Banners

I think you should boycott the PS3 because of their horrible ads...

M@

Link: http://adsoftheworld.com/media/print/sony_playstation_3_thumb?size=_original" target="_blank">Sony PlayStation 3: Thumb | Ads of the World: Crea

WoD

When my 360 died, I got it back within two weeks, which is pretty good.  And you get a months extra LIVE to make up for it (ooo...£4...!)