Main Menu

PS3 or 360?

Started by mogzilla, 11 May, 2008, 03:17:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tanky

We're having the same conundrum at Chateau Tanky right now. If anyone can help with the following, I'd be much less confused!

1. Is it still possible to get a backwards compatible PS3 in the UK? If so, which one is it and how much?
2. Does anyone have any idea whether final fantasy is going cross-platform or staying on the playstation only? I see square have a couple xbox titles out, but I've felt let down by their non FF games before!
3. Why are there wildly differently priced 360s about? What's the difference?
4. Did anyone figure out whether a 360 can be plugged into my existing router or do you have to shell out for another?

Tx

WoD

There's no PS3 on sale in the UK with backwards compatibility...buggers!  So, you'd need to go ebay or similar and get a second hand.

FF is now multi-platform (but I think the 360 may have a delayed release on the PS3)

The difference in price is normally associated with the hard drive (cheapest - arcade(?) - doesn't have one...and you need one really).

You can plug the 360 straight into a router with a cable...wireless you need the additional adaptor.

I think the above is correct anyway!

jakeblues69

Quote from: "Tanky"We're having the same conundrum at Chateau Tanky right now. If anyone can help with the following, I'd be much less confused!

1. Is it still possible to get a backwards compatible PS3 in the UK? If so, which one is it and how much?
2. Does anyone have any idea whether final fantasy is going cross-platform or staying on the playstation only? I see square have a couple xbox titles out, but I've felt let down by their non FF games before!
3. Why are there wildly differently priced 360s about? What's the difference?
4. Did anyone figure out whether a 360 can be plugged into my existing router or do you have to shell out for another?

Tx

Trust me, you'll forget all about your PS2 games once you start playing the PS3. However, check AMAZON or EBAY for backwards compatible PS3's.
I'm Dr. Rockso, the rock and roll clown. I do cocaine! My video was banned from music television, cause you could see my junk... through my jumpsuit!

Bongo Jack

PS3s are cheaper because they stripped out the additional hardware needed to run PS2 games, primarily because the second-hand market doesn't benefit Sony financially - certainly not now they're selling PS1 games online from the Sony store, although I've heard PS1 game discs work fine but haven't bothered checking myself on the newer model.

If you want backwards compatibility, you'll need to invest in one of the first wave of PS3s, which means buying second-hand.
Live forever or die trying

WoD

The original batch of backwards compatible PS3's in the UK used software not hardware.

Bongo Jack

There is a software element to the emulation of PS2 specs, but the European PS3 has region-specific hardware (or at least it does now) that limits backwards compatibility.  The Japanese and American PS3s for some reason have a larger list of PS2 games that run on a PS3 as a result.

First DVD extras and now this - it's like they're picking on us just because their currency's in the shitter.

Tanky

So, Amazon or ebay, y reckon? ;)
Thanks for your help chaps. I'll be honest, I didn't understand any of the software/hardware stuff, but having checked out a few 60G PS3 prices*, I think we'll be getting a 360 in the new year

*seriously, don't these people know there's a recession on?!

Roger Godpleton

Is Kingdom Hearts 3 gonna be on 360?
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

The Enigmatic Dr X

Just suffered my second RROD!

What's the point of the missus being on a night out if I can't play Mass Effect until 4am?
Lock up your spoons!

jakeblues69

Quote from: "The Enigmatic Dr X"Just suffered my second RROD!

What's the point of the missus being on a night out if I can't play Mass Effect until 4am?

This is why I went for a PS3. You'd think by now, that they would have this problem worked out.
I'm Dr. Rockso, the rock and roll clown. I do cocaine! My video was banned from music television, cause you could see my junk... through my jumpsuit!

Bongo Jack

PS3s can break down, too.

QuoteIs Kingdom Hearts 3 gonna be on 360?

After that GBA/PS2 thing, Kingdom Hearts is dead to me.

Peter Wolf

I take it as read that Sony have relented on making PS3 games individually coded to the owners PS3 console so that they couldnt be traded in for new games ?

Also is it just me or is the PS3 console unattractive and oversized ?? This was a disappointment to me as i always thought that Sony were always top of their game in terms of design as i am a bit of a Sony-phile and i have always bought and used their stuff over the years .

I am still resisting the 360 and PS3 because i want to concentrate on artwork instead of hours of my life being devoted to gaming as its addictive.I feel like i am missing out but sacrifices have to be made if i want to progress in life.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

SamuelAWilkinson

On the subject, I was in Zavvi today and noted they were flogging 360s for under the magical 100 quids mark. Crazy fools that they are.
Nobody warned me I would be so awesome.

Martin Jameson

Quote from: "jakeblues69"
Quote from: "The Enigmatic Dr X"Just suffered my second RROD!

This is why I went for a PS3. You'd think by now, that they would have this problem worked out.
This worries me a little with my sons 360 we just bought and put away until Christmas. Do they all go dead after a while??
Also can they play original xbox games or do we have to get rid of them all.
Another question - has anyone been on Home yet?

WoD

Most of the Xbox games will play on the 360.  The newer boxes suffer less RROD, but (I think) they can still get it.  Although it is a pain...it is handled pretty well by Microsoft and they turn them around quickly (practise I guess!).