Main Menu

L.A. Noire

Started by radiator, 18 May, 2011, 02:31:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GordonR

Quote from: Pete Wells on 23 May, 2011, 09:47:45 AM
Like others, I'm getting a bit cheesed off by the frequency of street crimes I'm asked to help with

Fair's fair. It's a lot better than being on your way to a big bank heist, or whatever, and being harrassed by friends constantly phoning you up demanding you play darts or go bowling with them - a la GTAIV.

zombemybabynow

probably the only person on the planet that didn't dig it?!

gone back to do more rootin' tootin' with rdr
Good manners & bad breath get you nowhere

Keef Monkey

It really is brilliant, I was up til after 3am last night because the Homicide strand was just getting way too intriguing! It's a brave game, more akin to point and clicks than anything else really, and I have to say I'm finding it way more absorbing than Heavy Rain (which I did like).

I've switched off the vibration notification when you stand next to a clue though, started to feel too easy. As a puzzle game I'm aware that you only get one chance to solve this stuff, and it won't really be possible to up the challenge on a 2nd playthrough. Kept on the musical cue for when you've seen everything at a crime scene though, otherwise you might never leave just in case.

I, Cosh

I have a question. Why does the title use the feminine form of the adjective? Is it a play on L.A./la? Or is there some central person or object in the story which would fill in the blank?
We never really die.

Misanthrope

Quote from: GordonR on 23 May, 2011, 11:12:43 AM
Like others, I'm getting a bit cheesed off by the frequency of street crimes I'm asked to help with

Fair's fair. It's a lot better than being on your way to a big bank heist, or whatever, and being harrassed by friends constantly phoning you up demanding you play darts or go bowling with them - a la GTAIV.

It got to the point where I would arrive to pick up Roman, and then shoot him in the face.

Annoying twat.
Did you know Christ was a werewolf?

Misanthrope

Quote from: The Cosh on 24 May, 2011, 12:40:07 AM
I have a question. Why does the title use the feminine form of the adjective? Is it a play on L.A./la? Or is there some central person or object in the story which would fill in the blank?

I don't know if this was meant to be schmuck bait, but I was under the impression that L.A was short for Los Angeles.

TordelBack

My guess is an attempt to avoid infringing on several books and films of the gender-correct title, and an assumption that nobody cares about masculine/feminine forms when you're mashing Spanish abbreviations with French adjectives.  But we showed them, oh yes!  

I, Cosh

Quote from: TordelBack on 24 May, 2011, 06:40:21 AM
My guess is an attempt to avoid infringing on several books and films of the gender-correct title, and an assumption that nobody cares about masculine/feminine forms when you're mashing Spanish abbreviations with French adjectives.  But we showed them, oh yes!
Oh, that's hardly likely, is it? It's been bothering me since I first saw it written down.
We never really die.

M.I.K.

Quote from: Misanthrope on 24 May, 2011, 03:29:08 AM

I don't know if this was meant to be schmuck bait, but I was under the impression that L.A was short for Los Angeles.

He's wondering why it's "noire" and not "noir".

uncle fester

Quote from: Misanthrope on 24 May, 2011, 02:09:58 AM
It got to the point where I would arrive to pick up Roman, and then shoot him in the face.

Annoying twat.

Why did I never think of that? Genius! :)

HOO-HAA

Quote from: Misanthrope on 24 May, 2011, 02:09:58 AM
Quote from: GordonR on 23 May, 2011, 11:12:43 AM

Annoying twat.

Part of the joy that is GTA  :D

Misanthrope

Quote from: M.I.K. on 24 May, 2011, 05:06:57 PM
Quote from: Misanthrope on 24 May, 2011, 03:29:08 AM

He's wondering why it's "noire" and not "noir".

Ah, I see.

radiator

Picked the game up yesterday and played for about 45 mins last night.

Stunning looking game - production values are off the scale. Loving the modern take on the adventure genre aspect too, and thematically it seems very mature and sophisticated (for a videogame at least).

Slightly concerned that it seems very linear so far - hoping that this is just the tutorial bit and there will be a bit more exploration and freedom to come. The controls sadly retain that slightly fiddly/twitchy quality that all of Rockstar's games have, but I kind of expected that.

More worryingly, the game feels a little buggy, which kind of undermines the superb atmosphere and presentation that the developers have put so much effort into. During the shootout in the early bank raid mission, a robber ran straight into a wall and continued to run on the spot until I gunned him down. Entering the bank, I wandered round and round the building, not knowing what to do. After ten minutes or so, I finally spotted a bank robber on the upper floor who I hadn't seen because he was just standing behind cover, motionless. Bullets seemed to have no effect on him, and it took about five direct hits with a shotgun to bring him down, which kind of spoiled the tense atmosphere.

Still, looking forward to delving a bit deeper into it.

Keef Monkey

Just finished this today, and apart from a few missteps towards the end (the last strand doesn't hold together as well as the rest of the game, and there's one particular design choice which didn't work for me but might for others) I loved it.

It really is an evolution of the old point and clickers I played as a kid, and was incredibly absorbing throughout. I've seen a lot of mention of bugs but apart from persistently poor streaming and the framerate diving from time to time I didn't have much trouble. Looking forward to playing through again in black and white, which I'm sure will turn out to be the best way to play.

A great, but flawed game, but great enough that the flaws are easily forgotten.

Pete Wells

A question - do I always have to kill the perps in the street crime bits or can I subdue them somehow? The way Phelps calls for an ambulance or coroner always makes me feel like I've failed a bit, despite doing the mission...