Main Menu

Printing and Photocopies

Started by CraveNoir, 18 September, 2009, 09:38:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CraveNoir

I want to print out digital artwork on A4... which is fine.

Then I'd like to join two A4 prints to make an A3, bung them in a photocopier, printing on both sides of A4, and then fold them to make an A5 sized booklet.

Folding, cropping and stapling are things I can do myself, so I'm not looking for any kind of expensive service, simply the ability to print on both sides at low cost.

Does any one have any experience of doing this? Can I go to a place like Prontaprint and do it on a photocopier? Or should I just use a home printer for everything (which is what I'd planned on doing but wonder about the cost of ink)?

Also does anyone have any thoughts on printing out digital artwork for a portfolio? Any do's and don'ts?

Banners

I wouldn't use a photocopier for anything like that. Somewhere like Prontaprint or KallKwik will do it if you take a PDF, but take it on a CD as they don't like SD cards.

However, it may cost a bit depending on how many you need. They charge around £1 - £1.50 for an A3 copy, so it soon starts mounting up. They will only use regular bond paper as well and are likely to use a laser printer.

As a guide, we can do 100 (minimum order) A4 folded once to A5, litho-printed on 170gsm Gloss for £49 or 300gsm Gloss for £50.

Running an inkjet shouldn't cost too much. Again, it depends on how many you need.

M@

CraveNoir

I was thinking of doing about a dozen or so for BICS, and leaving them with small pressers after I'd thrust a portfolio in their faces.

Maybe an inkjet is the way to go then.

I used to work at Exact Copy in Tysley, and at a printers in Digbeth back in the day, designing business cards, gluing letter heads, and carefully drawing horizontal lines for lined paper (people used to have to do that before computers!) I miss the taste of bromide on my fingers. :)

On a 2000ad note: The camera room in Digbeth had a lovely big colour poster of prog403, Bolland's Mutants in Mega-City One which looks like it came from a 12" record. They let me take it when I left. I still have it. :)

Jim_Campbell

To be honest, Crave, I don't think you need worry too much about 'leave behinds' ... if what you've posted in the Art Comps here is in any way indicative of the standard of work in your portfolio, any small presser that doesn't take your hand off at the elbow wants their head examining.

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 18 September, 2009, 10:38:51 AM
To be honest, Crave, I don't think you need worry too much about 'leave behinds' ... if what you've posted in the Art Comps here is in any way indicative of the standard of work in your portfolio, any small presser that doesn't take your hand off at the elbow wants their head examining.

Cheers!

Jim

All I'm saying is pop over to the FutureQuake table and introduce yourself...

Bolt-01

uncle fester

Cheers!

Jim

Pretty much what he said! Although if it is a concern for you, printing double sided shouldn't be a problem if you use sufficiently heavy (gsm-wise) paper. Perhaps if you put the cost of say 1/2 of an ink cartridge against the reaction you'll get from the small press, then I'd call it an investment.

Emperor

Indeed. Better than "leave behinds" would be an online gallery for follow-up and extra coverage (yes I know I sound like a broken record but it is a good record ;) ). Perhaps have a business card instead, show off the portfolio and leave the card so people can do the follow-up checking you out online and email you.

I wouldn't worry about small press work (I'm sure the FutureQuake boys can find enough work to keep your dance card busy for a while) you want to be thinking further ahead. As mentioned here once you've got a few small press comics under your belt you can drop some of those off with editors you are interested in working with (and a bookmark-style business card might be an idea).
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Mike Gloady

Sounds like you're getting a fair bit of good advice, Crave.  I reckon other aspiring artists will appreciate this thread too.

I *would* add my chorus of approval to the mexican wave of (perfectly justified) bum-kissage started by Jim, but frankly it'd start to get embarassing and if I voted for you again in an art competition people might talk about our relationship.  And we must be discrete.

More power to your elbow, mate. 
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever