Main Menu

Strontium Dog Search and Destroy 3: The 2000 AD Years - February 2024

Started by Dash Decent, 07 July, 2023, 01:17:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dash Decent

The webshop exclusive cover is going to have to be pretty darn good to talk me out of buying this little beauty.

Strontium Dog Search and Destroy 3: The 2000 AD Years - Hardcover, 192 pages, 1st February 2024

In 2150 a catastrophic war led to 70% of Britain's population being wiped out. Strontium 90 fallout led to an increase of children being born with strange mutations. Hated by average humans, the mutants faced terrible oppression when politician, Nelson Kreelman, introduced a series of anti-mutant laws enforced by a brutal police force.

In 2167 the mutants decided to fight back. Amongst their ranks was a young boy with named Johnny Alpha with white blank eyes and a mutant power that grants him a series of powers, including the ability to see through many surfaces. Driven by personal tragedy, Johnny has a very personal reason wanting to topple the regime and bring Kreeler down.

Co-written by Alan Grant (Batman)and John Wagner (A History of Violence) and featuring the artwork of Carlos Ezquerra (Judge Dredd), this collection features the explosive origin of Johnny Alpha in 'Portrait of a Mutant', a tale widely considered to be the greatest Strontium Dog story of all.

- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Max Headroom

This is now available to pre-order for early next year - a must buy for me. Looking at the contents, I just wanted to ask if anyone knew where the two stories - 'The Kroll Affair' and 'The Kurtis Affair' first appeared; as I couldn't find them on Barney. Maybe they are listed under a different name?

Dash Decent

- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

Dash Decent

Quote from: Max Headroom on 21 September, 2023, 12:12:16 PMLooking at the contents, I just wanted to ask if anyone knew where the two stories - 'The Kroll Affair' and 'The Kurtis Affair' first appeared; as I couldn't find them on Barney. Maybe they are listed under a different name?

Cribbing from posts around the forum by Leigh S, who is surely the expert:

• "Assault on Trigol 3" is from the 1979 Sci-Fi Special
  • "The Kurtis Job" is from the 1980 Sci-Fi Special
  • "Night of the Blood Freaks" is a text story from the 1981 2000AD Annual (with art by MacCarthy)
  • "The Kroll Affair" is from the 1982 Annual

- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

Max Headroom

Thanks, Dash. Are you sure about the 1980 Sci-Fi Special?? Nothing Strontium Dog listed for this on Barney. Maybe another text-only story?

Leigh S

IIRC Barney is missing that story in its listing (possibly another story as well - seeed quite a short entry from memory?)

My guess for Gronk Affair is that it has been bumped into Vol 4 to fit in all the missed stories, which is fine really for the purposes of being chronological going forward

Quote from: Max Headroom on 21 September, 2023, 02:54:02 PMThanks, Dash. Are you sure about the 1980 Sci-Fi Special?? Nothing Strontium Dog listed for this on Barney. Maybe another text-only story?

Max Headroom

Received my webshop exclusive edition today and everything looks fine. I am really pleased Rebellion are re-printing what looks to be the entire Strontium Dog run from the beginning and even including text-only stories in this format. I hope to see more of the classic 2000ad strips given this treatment.

Dash Decent

Quote from: Max Headroom on 27 January, 2024, 02:16:51 PMI hope to see more of the classic 2000ad strips given this treatment.

Now there is a Rogue Trooper underway, let's see what that brings.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

Trooper McFad

Quote from: Dash Decent on 31 January, 2024, 08:17:39 AM
Quote from: Max Headroom on 27 January, 2024, 02:16:51 PMI hope to see more of the classic 2000ad strips given this treatment.

Now there is a Rogue Trooper underway, let's see what that brings.
I second that - I want a HC web shop exclusive covers - love these editions.

Only thing is 1 a year for SD is dragging it out for us elderly members 😳😂😂
Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

Dash Decent

The movie also explains why we suddenly got a Rogue Trooper Essentials edition plus Blighty Valley turning up.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

Tamping

This one book a year release pattern is killing me! We'll be still going in 2030!