Main Menu

Laptop trouble techy help required!!!!!!

Started by Buddy, 09 June, 2004, 12:28:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buddy

Laptops. Don't ya just love 'em.

When things go wrong they really go wrong, and are really expensive to fix.

So before I dig deep into me pocket for a repair (or possibly a replacement) can any one help me with a solution to this:-

When I start up my laptop the compaq logo appears as normal and it makes a clunking sound (not normal) and after a few minutes I get an error message saying

1782 - Disk Controller Failure

I think it may as well say Buggered mate.

Think it may be the hard drive, someone suggested it may be a software failure.

When attempting to boot from a windows 98 cd I get a message on the setup screen saying

Setup cannot install Windows 98 on your computer

An error was detected while trying to read or write to your hard disk

Any suggestions anyone???

A prize to anyone who can help..

Max Kon

the trouble with laptops is that u cant take the disk out and pluyg it into another to see whats wrong

pauljholden

Sounds like hard disc mate, check to see if you're covered by household insurance - new laptops are around 700 - 800 quid. I'd recommend one of the lovely Macs (the iBooks start from ? 800 ) while they're less 'feature-rich' than the typical PC they're luverly, and work very well.

You could also look at getting it repaired, but laptop repairs are much harder than desktop repairs.

- pj

Buddy

Ahaa PJ... Contents insurance.

You may have something there.

Think it is hard drive. Found one on ebay, auction ends in five days so we'll see how that goes.

Thought about an ibook, but I really need compatability with the desktop, and all the games of course.

By the way, missed you at Bristol, next time eh!

Slippery PD

dont look good to me.
Youve either got a faulty cable or a faulty HDD (disk drive) the cable replaceable the disk isnt without data loss.  Probably doesnt help.  Sorry

1782 - Disk Controller Failure None Hard Drive Circuitry Error Run Computer Setup, Replace the HDD

Slips

Link: http://www.uktsupport.co.uk/compaq/faq/comppost.ht

Dan Kelly

What compatability do you need?

Modern macs network very easily with PCs and can handle most file formats that a pc will thow at it

Dan

Buddy

Compatability in software...

I'll need to get two versions of everything, Photoshop, quark, Dreamweaver, Flash etc...

And of course I'll nedd to be able to play Unreal Tournament in me bed!!

Plus macs are way to expensive for my pocket.

Dan Kelly

2 version is the biggest problem - although there are certain ways around that - some more legal than others (the gimp for example)

Unreal problem isn't a problem however...

ANd they're not _that_ much more expensive when you look at exact feature specs ;)