Main Menu

Prog 2163 - Fight or Die!

Started by Colin YNWA, 04 January, 2020, 08:32:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard

Luke Kirby was brilliant but if they ran new stories today about a boy wizard it would invite unfair comparisons with Harry Potter. However, Tharg could always commission new stories where Luke is an adult.

Trout

Lots to enjoy in this comic, including an excellent Dredd story, but Brink tops the lot. What a sublime strip.

broodblik

Great start to the new year. The new thrills Proteus Vex and Feral & Foe taking the sharing the laurels this round. The new Dredd story also has a great start.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Proudhuff

Quote from: Richard on 07 January, 2020, 04:52:54 PM
Luke Kirby was brilliant but if they ran new stories today about a boy wizard it would invite unfair comparisons with Harry Potter. However, Tharg could always commission new stories where Luke is an adult.

Agreed, but why on this thread? what have I missed!
DDT did a job on me

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Richard

Quotewhat have I missed!

Page 1?

TordelBack

Bloody hell is Brink brilliant. Even in this strong line-up it feels like it's in another league. And it's just a cop and a gangster talking... amazing work.

Dredd starts well, Niemand's grasp of Dredd and MC-1 is spot-on, and Cornwell is fast moving up my personal ranking of Dredd artists: some lovely little details, like the left-handed judge, set against pages that feel huge and full. But surely that isn't an invisible ninja approaching..?

Proteus Rex - Jovus H Grud, Mike, cut back on the expository text, you've got Henry Flint drawing this - give him more than a few square inches of the page to do his job! That gripe aside, very intriguing, and lots to absorb.

Zaucer: very very very beautiful, and in keeping, but feels a bit like Swifty's Return, if you get my meaning.

Feral & Foe: Yeah, I could grow to like this. For now, I trust the creative team more than almost any other, so i'll let it marinate for a bit longer.

norton canes

Can't do more than echo a few already expressed thoughts, really...

A spot-on Dredd, perfectly complemented by Dan Cornwell's buoyant art. That silent frame is priceless! A story about an imaginary person written by Kenneth Niemand... who'da thought huh.

Brink continues to be a welcome counterpoint to the sound and fury elsewhere. It's all going to kick off soon though... isn't it..?

Not 100% sold on Zaucer Of Zilk - the story-weaver stuff in nice but otherwise there's only so far a bit of whimsical psychedelia will get you. Maybe it will pick up.

Proteus Vex also appears to be displaying early symptoms of a fundamental flaw, in this case a lack of characterisation. Two episodes in and the protagonist has shown no singular traits; neither is the plot especially compelling. I think that if you've got a strip with such spectacular artwork you've either got to make the script equally spectacular, or go the other way and make it so vague the pictures do all the storytelling. At the moment it seems to be a bit of a halfway house here.

See with Feral & Foe, you have a couple of well-drawn protagonists and an immediately engaging story. It's only the details that are throwing me for now, like the decision to give antler guy that bizarre ersatz East End gangster style dialogue. Let's hope this and Kingmaker never bump into each other in a Nerve Centre corridor - could be orc-ward!

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: norton canes on 09 January, 2020, 10:16:22 AM
Let's hope this and Kingmaker never bump into each other in a Nerve Centre corridor - could be orc-ward!

:lol:
@jamesfeistdraws

Proudhuff

Quote from: TordelBack on 08 January, 2020, 09:21:34 PM

Dredd starts well. But surely that isn't a JUSTICE DEPT invisible ninja approaching..?

FTFY
DDT did a job on me

TordelBack

Keef Monkey

Great prog, which happened to coincide with my first day back to work after the xmas break and thus made the commute blues vanish in a cloud of thrill power (definitely took the sting out of the latest Scotrail price hike...grrrrrr).

Dredd, Brink and Feral & Foe all the top drawer highlights for me. The Dredd tale seems fun and cool, Brink never has a less than brilliant week and Feral & Foe as mentioned further up has that Kingmaker feel that I really enjoy in my 2000AD fantasy stuff.

Saucer just isn't the kind of story for me (although I do like the art a great deal), and I want to love Proteus (and very possibly will at some point down the line) but still settling into it and yet to form much of an opinion, although again the artwork still makes it a great and very welcome read.

CalHab

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 09 January, 2020, 10:24:58 AM
Quote from: norton canes on 09 January, 2020, 10:16:22 AM
Let's hope this and Kingmaker never bump into each other in a Nerve Centre corridor - could be orc-ward!

:lol:

For some reason I had it in my head that this and Kingmaker existed in the same world.

norton canes

It did make me think that we haven't had any Trifecta-style shocks for a while. Closest was the surprise reappearance of Armoured Gideon in The Order, I suppose.

Could happen at any time!

Colin YNWA

Quote from: norton canes on 10 January, 2020, 12:26:55 PM
It did make me think that we haven't had any Trifecta-style shocks for a while. Closest was the surprise reappearance of Armoured Gideon in The Order, I suppose.

Could happen at any time!

My thoughts, based entirely on the creative team, could be this could become some sort of future Kingdom word... almost certainly poppycock.